how quickly do course vacancies get filled up in clearing (UCAS)

Watch
username5813306
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am interested in politics courses so am wondering thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No one can add a clearing choice to Track until 2pm on results day. So places usually stay available until the afternoon on results day even if there’s very limited space at a university.

In many cases places will be available for days or weeks after results. It all depends on how many spaces a university has available and what demand there is for those spaces.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by heythere12798)
It depends on the subject, and I'm not sure about Politics. But for Law say, most of the Clearing courses get filled on day 1 or day 2 of Clearing. To be on the safe side, you need to be active from the day you receive your results if you want to get into a competitive uni.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the uni- some may only have limited spaces available and fill them quickly. Some will have more spaces, and these will be available for longer.

In general, it is a good idea to be quick off the mark in clearing to get the best choice of places.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What has happened in previous years may not be what will happen this year. We are in the realms of not knowing whether more people will meet their offers due to Teacher Assessed grades being used. Obviously the more who meet their offers the less spaces there will be in clearing.

My gut feeling is this year there will be fewer places in clearing for top universities and those that do exist will be snapped up very quickly. Other universities might have spaces for weeks.
username5813306
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
What has happened in previous years may not be what will happen this year. We are in the realms of not knowing whether more people will meet their offers due to Teacher Assessed grades being used. Obviously the more who meet their offers the less spaces there will be in clearing.

My gut feeling is this year there will be fewer places in clearing for top universities and those that do exist will be snapped up very quickly. Other universities might have spaces for weeks.
thanks for your advice

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It depends on the uni- some may only have limited spaces available and fill them quickly. Some will have more spaces, and these will be available for longer.

In general, it is a good idea to be quick off the mark in clearing to get the best choice of places.
yes ill try to be quick thanks
University of Hull
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya, just to add to the other comments on here - different universities and courses fill up at different times. Just a bit of advice, you might have already done this, but if you think you might want to get a place through Clearing, then it's worth doing your research in advance and making a shortlist of the universities you are most interested in approaching on the day. That way, you can be more focused and confident on the day itself. Some universities like Hull have all their Clearing info (incl courses and applying) in one place on their website, plus you can be looking at potential accommodation options etc in advance too. Ours is here: www.hull.ac.uk/clearing
Very best of luck for Tuesday
Sian
username5813306
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Hull)
Hiya, just to add to the other comments on here - different universities and courses fill up at different times. Just a bit of advice, you might have already done this, but if you think you might want to get a place through Clearing, then it's worth doing your research in advance and making a shortlist of the universities you are most interested in approaching on the day. That way, you can be more focused and confident on the day itself. Some universities like Hull have all their Clearing info (incl courses and applying) in one place on their website, plus you can be looking at potential accommodation options etc in advance too. Ours is here: www.hull.ac.uk/clearing
Very best of luck for Tuesday
Sian
thanks buddy appreciate it!
University of Kent Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey heythere12798!

It's difficult to say how fast Clearing spots can go. If you're applying for popular Universities, on their most popular courses, then you will find the spots can go faster than normal. I would recommend looking at Universities that you're interested in now, and searching for their Clearing courses. Then, when 8:30am comes around, you can immediately contact the specific Universities and get Clearing finished with fast! UCAS Track opens at 8:30am on the 10th, but you can only input Clearing choices from 2pm!

You can already view the University of Kent's courses and clearing requirements here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing, which I would recommend doing as soon as you can to avoid disappointment. The University of Kent has an impeccable Politics course, and it shows through our TEF Gold for Teaching Excellence resulting in 95% of our Politics students being in work or further education after finishing their course. The school is filled with excellent lecturers and seminar leaders who you can view here. Their expertise ranges from Professor Matthew Goodwin who has worked with the Prime Minister's Office to the U.S. State Department and Professor Elena Korosteleva who has completed numerous projects for the European Commission.

Best of luck!
Nathan
UKC Rep
username5813306
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Kent Reps)
Hey heythere12798!

It's difficult to say how fast Clearing spots can go. If you're applying for popular Universities, on their most popular courses, then you will find the spots can go faster than normal. I would recommend looking at Universities that you're interested in now, and searching for their Clearing courses. Then, when 8:30am comes around, you can immediately contact the specific Universities and get Clearing finished with fast! UCAS Track opens at 8:30am on the 10th, but you can only input Clearing choices from 2pm!

You can already view the University of Kent's courses and clearing requirements here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing, which I would recommend doing as soon as you can to avoid disappointment. The University of Kent has an impeccable Politics course, and it shows through our TEF Gold for Teaching Excellence resulting in 95% of our Politics students being in work or further education after finishing their course. The school is filled with excellent lecturers and seminar leaders who you can view here. Their expertise ranges from Professor Matthew Goodwin who has worked with the Prime Minister's Office to the U.S. State Department and Professor Elena Korosteleva who has completed numerous projects for the European Commission.

Best of luck!
Nathan
UKC Rep
Thank you I really appreciate your advice - have a great day!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads