Engineering apprenticeship or A levels

Watch
Devin12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would really like to study engineering at university and was thinking of doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics a level but recently I’ve been told that apprenticeships are also as helpful when getting into university. I’m just curious which one is the best option for university and overall career wise. Thank you
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I took this route.

I started a level 4-6 degree apprenticeship in mechanical engineering with three others. I and another did a level 3 apprenticeship before this instead of A levels, and the other 2 did their A levels.

The initial difference was, doing a level 3 apprenticeship put us at a disadvantage with our math knowledge. Also, the companies we did our level 3 apprenticeship with didn’t offer a degree apprenticeship, so we had to apply and move companies.

However, we had prior engineering knowledge and were better suited to the work environment, as opposed to the two who did A levels who performed better at university.

Regardless, at the end of our 5 year degree apprenticeship, all 4 of us finished as equally competent engineers and are now employed with the company.

So the specific route you choose is up to what works best for you.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Chris2892; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed