The Student Room Group

Biochemistry related topics/ideas for EPQ?

Hey there- I'm a sixth former thinking of switching to do an EPQ but the thing is, I'm struggling to think of a topic to do it based on my interests that is also not popular. Because I'm thinking of doing Biochemistry or something Biochemistry related for university, I'm aiming for my EPQ to reflect my interests. My interests are largely on genetics and diseases like cancer or Alzheimer's or COVID-19 and its vaccines, as well as toxicology like the chemistry behind poisons and pharmacology like drug design. I think I'm also quite interested in the chemistry behind how elements work either individually or in compounds, such as how fireworks work- I think something along the lines of that. Ik they're very broad, but I'm unsure how to narrow it down better to something I'd be more than willing to spend more than enough effort to start and finish. Any help and/or pointers to doing the EPQ in general like doing the research and finding data, would be very much appreciated too! Thank you.

[[NB: I posted this first on another forum so this is a repost]]
Hia!

from experience, doing an EPQ is a good way to study a topic you find really interesting that is off the syllabus, the examples you've suggested are perfect for that and very relevant.

I applied to study biology at university and wanted to incorporate science into my EPQ but I wanted to explore a more debatable issue so my topic was 'is the use of fur morally defensible'. I talked about the biology of the diseases animals in the fur trade have suffered from, whilst also debating whether the use of fur is moral or not.

As diseases are always interesting maybe discussing a new treatment for a certain form of cancer or even the production of the covid vaccine would be a good starting point. Furthermore when you find your topic try to use a range of resources from videos to journals.

Hope this helps,

Ben - UoP rep :tongue:
I hope the v gd answer by Ben above directs you on the right lines.

To be more specific, I have tried below to suggest specific topics covering more than one of your interests each:-

A] Does prolonging survival in breast cancer using tamoxifen override the aesthetic and psychological disadvantages of this drug? [covers cancer, drugs and toxicity]

B] Will ground-breaking research find a novel drug to cure the defect of melanin synthesis in albinism? [covers genetics, biochem and pharmaceutical research].

If you need guidance on finding info, do feel free to PM me after picking a topic.

Best of luck & be safe!

M.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending