Do You Agree - Or Disagree ?...

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I am not forcing my opinions on others and I am not telling people how they should live and what they should (or shouldn't) do with themselves ... then, in return, I am entitled to have the same respect back - and be allowed to live the way I want, and to do, or not to do, the things I want (as long as it doesn't directly affect others) and to be what I want to be.

Instead of being put in a position where I, sort of, should be apologizing for my individuality and daring to have my own free thinking .... because a given someone (or even the majority of people) may find my traits or qualities or preferences weird, or controversial or harmful to myself , or if they consider that this makes me to belong to a minority only.

I am a 38 years old male.

Thank you.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as your views or lifestyle does not impact on you or others in a negative way then I would agree live life how you v want to
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with a lot of what you have written about your privacy, personal freedoms and right to choose your own future ambitions.
So many people are just habitual busybodies or petty tyrants.

But I am very uncomfortable with your use of the words "entitled" and "respect".
I believe that nobody is automatically owed respect and very few people deserve any respect or admiration at all.
I've noticed that those with clear entitlement issues and respect agendas tend to be those who least deserve any type of admiration or respect.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JaseyB)
does not impact on you
Thank you for this. But if it impacts on me ? Then that means I do not have the right to do how I want ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
I agree with a lot of what you have written about your privacy, personal freedoms and right to choose your own future ambitions.
So many people are just habitual busybodies or petty tyrants.

But I am very uncomfortable with your use of the words "entitled" and "respect".
I believe that nobody is automatically owed respect and very few people deserve any respect or admiration at all.
I've noticed that those with clear entitlement issues and respect agendas tend to be those who least deserve any type of admiration or respect.
Thank you for this and for agreeing with me. Okay. Interesting ...
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for this. But if it impacts on me ? Then that means I do not have the right to do how I want ?
You missed out the most important part in quoting me where I stated "as long as it does not impact on you or others in a negatvie way!"
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
38 and worrying about this stuff on a student forum?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JaseyB)
You missed out the most important part in quoting me where I stated "as long as it does not impact on you or others in a negatvie way!"
Ok. But my question still remains even in that case. So if my decisions or actions impact ONLY on me - but in a negative way, then I do not have the right to do as I want ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
38 and worrying about this stuff on a student forum?
Not necessarily 'worrying'. Let's say - I was curious to see other people's opinions on this. Yes, a student forum is still a valid place to ask.
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
your actions can indirectly impact others too. voting for certain politicians, refusing to social distance, etc.
sunshine774
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok. But my question still remains even in that case. So if my decisions or actions impact ONLY on me - but in a negative way, then I do not have the right to do as I want ?
Yes of course you have the right to do what you wish. It's your life after all, only you are in your body.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
your actions can indirectly impact others too. voting for certain politicians, refusing to social distance, etc.
True. Ok, thanks.
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
True. Ok, thanks.
fastest i've ever seen someone agree with that lmao
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sunshine774)
Yes of course you have the right to do what you wish. It's your life after all, only you are in your body.
Of course. Thanks a lot for this !
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 64Lightbulbs)
fastest i've ever seen someone agree with that lmao
Really ? Thanks. But do you realize what you have said ? Because that makes you obligated to award me a big medal for setting this record !
rosie_j2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If I am not forcing my opinions on others and I am not telling people how they should live and what they should (or shouldn't) do with themselves ... then, in return, I am entitled to have the same respect back - and be allowed to live the way I want, and to do, or not to do, the things I want (as long as it doesn't directly affect others) and to be what I want to be.

Instead of being put in a position where I, sort of, should be apologizing for my individuality and daring to have my own free thinking .... because a given someone (or even the majority of people) may find my traits or qualities or preferences weird, or controversial or harmful to myself , or if they consider that this makes me to belong to a minority only.

I am a 38 years old male.

Thank you.
Being yourself and being unique SHOULD be encouraged it's ok to be yourself and NO one should stop you from it just be you that's what makes you special...NEVER be ashamed of being weird
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rosie_j2004)
Being yourself and being unique SHOULD be encouraged it's ok to be yourself and NO one should stop you from it just be you that's what makes you special...NEVER be ashamed of being weird
Thanks a lot for this ! What a nice response ...
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What, specifically, are you referring to? You've made an incredibly vague post so it's very hard to ascertain whether or not to agree with you.

If you are not negatively impacting on someone else, and you're not breaking the law, then do whatever you want and be whoever you want. I think that's about as much as I can comment on such a non-specific thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads