what universities would accept btec health and social care level 3?

Watch
bceea
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, i’m starting college/ 6th form in september and i need some evaluation and possibly help with picking my pathway. Initially i wanted to do economics and sociology as i took them for gcse and i did really well in those subjects, however my grades in maths aren’t good so the only chance i’d have at studying economics is to stay at my secondary school for 6th form (depending wether i pass maths but my teachers said they can make exceptions if my econ final grade is good) the problem with this is that i don’t like my school, neither do i like the area i live in.. i’ve always felt that i don’t fit in, i couldn’t wait to finally leave and have a new environment and new peers; another problem is that my school is strict regarding appearance so i won’t be able to cut my hair the way i want it or to have piercings on show or anything else of the sort which again, i’ve waited for years to finally express myself and so im not really inclined to sign myself up to 2 extra years of that. Staying at my school would mean they can make exceptions regarding grade boundaries for example i could pick psychology as my third a level which is also a subject i’d really like to do. My other option is going to college for level 3 btec social & health care, i applied for a levels too but not sure why they only got back to me with emails about the btec application. If i choose to go to college it would mean i’m able to express myself, i’d have a new environment which would be good for my mental health and it would make me more motivated to learn, however the slight problem with college is that it’s 1 hour away which i’m not too fussed about, i told myself i can handle it but what if i over estimated myself and i cant? also i heard there’s not many pathways to higher education with this btec in the areas that i’m interested in, for example i thought i could do criminology or psychology in uni but i’m not really well informed about stuff like that so i’m only going off of assumptions. Another option which is in case i don’t pass maths is to resit but i don’t know if my school will accept me while i’m resitting a subject, however if they do let me study i don’t know if i can handle 3 a levels and also resitting a subject which i have trouble with. Now if i had to re sit while doing a btec i feel like it may not be as stressful but again i don’t know if they would accept me while i’m resitting. Overall i’d rather go to college but im just worried about my my options in the future being minimised if i pick health & social care. sorry if this is confusing maybe i’m overthinking and it’s not as complicated as i’m making it out to be but if anyone is able to give me some guidance or reassurance that would be greatly appreciated. thank u so much (:
Last edited by bceea; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bceea)
hi, i’m starting college/ 6th form in september and i need some evaluation and possibly help with picking my pathway. Initially i wanted to do economics and sociology as i took them for gcse and i did really well in those subjects, however my grades in maths aren’t good so the only chance i’d have at studying economics is to stay at my secondary school for 6th form (depending wether i pass maths but my teachers said they can make exceptions if my econ final grade is good) the problem with this is that i don’t like my school, neither do i like the area i live in.. i’ve always felt that i don’t fit in, i couldn’t wait to finally leave and have a new environment and new peers; another problem is that my school is strict regarding appearance so i won’t be able to cut my hair the way i want it or to have piercings on show or anything else of the sort which again, i’ve waited for years to finally express myself and so im not really inclined to sign myself up to 2 extra years of that. Staying at my school would mean they can make exceptions regarding grade boundaries for example i could pick psychology as my third a level which is also a subject i’d really like to do. My other option is going to college for level 3 btec social & health care, i applied for a levels too but not sure why they only got back to me with emails about the btec application. If i choose to go to college it would mean i’m able to express myself, i’d have a new environment which would be good for my mental health and it would make me more motivated to learn, however the slight problem with college is that it’s 1 hour away which i’m not too fussed about, i told myself i can handle it but what if i over estimated myself and i cant? also i heard there’s not many pathways to higher education with this btec in the areas that i’m interested in, for example i thought i could do criminology or psychology in uni but i’m not really well informed about stuff like that so i’m only going off of assumptions. Another option which is in case i don’t pass maths is to resit but i don’t know if my school will accept me while i’m resitting a subject, however if they do let me study i don’t know if i can handle 3 a levels and also resitting a subject which i have trouble with. Now if i had to re sit while doing a btec i feel like it may not be as stressful but again i don’t know if they would accept me while i’m resitting. Overall i’d rather go to college but im just worried about my my options in the future being minimised if i pick health & social care. sorry if this is confusing maybe i’m overthinking and it’s not as complicated as i’m making it out to be but if anyone is able to give me some guidance or reassurance that would be greatly appreciated. thank u so much (:
There will be lots of unis that will accept BTEC Heath and Social Care, but only for certain courses. If you aren't sure about the route you want to go down, then A-levels will leave your options far more open. If you want to do psychology at university, I do think this would limit the unis you are able to apply to quite a lot.

I also wouldn't underestimate the impact of a one hour commute. And is that one hour door to door, or one hour on the train, not taking into account time waiting at the station, delays etc, or alternatively one hour by car, not allowing for time stuck in traffic etc? Even though you will probably learn to drive soon, don't underestimate how exhausting driving an hour each way will be, particularly as a new driver.

Are there no closer options like another school sixth form, or a different college?

It seems like your main reason for going to the college is to be able to express yourself more freely, and I do understand that is very important. However, I would say it's just two years, you will get through it, and once you're at uni you can do whatever you like with your appearance. To me, this isn't a good reason to make decisions that will impact your whole future, although I understand it probably feels really important to you.

I'd also add that if you're worried about struggling with workload, e.g. due to resits, then being in an environment where teachers know you well may help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.46%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.13%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (66)
42.31%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
24.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.69%

Watched Threads