Master's Degree in an unrelated subject to Bachelor's

Watch
Gabriela555
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi All
I have made a post a while back about Master's degrees and all, but I need some advice here.

I have graduated with a 2:1 degree in Accounting. I enjoyed my course and plan to work in this field in the future. However I plan on doing a Master's in the near future, and would like to do it in an unrelated field. I'd like to try something different.

In my spare time, I enjoy doing lots of art and I'm thinking of doing a Master's in an area like Fine Art, Graphic Design or Illustration. I've come across a few threads on here, that are similar to mine, and even found a few people who did exactly that.

So my questions are:
1. Could you please guide me further?
2. If any of you have done this, what subjects did you do for your Bachelor's and Master's, and how did you manage to get onto your Master's course? Could you share your experience?
3. Would it be worth approaching the universities to ask about students from unrelated disciplines getting onto the course?

Thank you all
Last edited by Gabriela555; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have a portfolio then just chat to some universities and ask if they’ll consider you based on your portfolio and unrelated degree.

I’ve known graduate from other disciplines take an Art & Design Foundation Diploma (FAD) to build their portfolio and prepare and then progress onto a masters degree. So that might be worth investigating as a backup plan
Mahel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the course doesn't have subject specific requirements for your Bachelor's degree then usually you're good. I've got a few offers for a School of Politics degree (Public Policy or Politics related) after having completed a BSc Hons Management Degree from a Business School
Gabriela555
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you have a portfolio then just chat to some universities and ask if they’ll consider you based on your portfolio and unrelated degree.

I’ve known graduate from other disciplines take an Art & Design Foundation Diploma (FAD) to build their portfolio and prepare and then progress onto a masters degree. So that might be worth investigating as a backup plan
Hmmm. That's useful to know. I'll definitely look into it. I have an art GCSE, plus I have several pieces from my spare time which I can use as my portfolio. I'll definitely contact a few to see what I get
Gabriela555
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mahel)
If the course doesn't have subject specific requirements for your Bachelor's degree then usually you're good. I've got a few offers for a School of Politics degree (Public Policy or Politics related) after having completed a BSc Hons Management Degree from a Business School
How about if they have subject requirements? Would it still be worth emailing to ask? I'm sure they'll make exceptions
Mahel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gabriela555)
How about if they have subject requirements? Would it still be worth emailing to ask? I'm sure they'll make exceptions
Subject specific becomes a bit more sticky so I'd definitely email before applying. If you can demonstrate your passion for the subject alongside high previous achievement (academic or extra-curricular) then I'm sure they'd at least consider it
Gabriela555
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mahel)
Subject specific becomes a bit more sticky so I'd definitely email before applying. If you can demonstrate your passion for the subject alongside high previous achievement (academic or extra-curricular) then I'm sure they'd at least consider it
Alrighty. I'll definitely email a few to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads