The Student Room Group

Can I take APs instead of A-Levels?

I have a somewhat weird question, I’m not planning to do it anyway, but wanted to ask.

So I moved to the UK recently, but also continuing to my school in my country because it’s my final year. Normally I’ll apply to the UK unis by using my AP and SAT Subjects and continue my education here. But what if I register to a local 6th form, finish the year, don’t take any A-Levels and apply to the unis with my APs and SAT Subjects. Do you think that would be possible? And equally importantly, would unis accept that and don’t question why I didn’t take A-Levels?
Original post by myt27
I have a somewhat weird question, I’m not planning to do it anyway, but wanted to ask.

So I moved to the UK recently, but also continuing to my school in my country because it’s my final year. Normally I’ll apply to the UK unis by using my AP and SAT Subjects and continue my education here. But what if I register to a local 6th form, finish the year, don’t take any A-Levels and apply to the unis with my APs and SAT Subjects. Do you think that would be possible? And equally importantly, would unis accept that and don’t question why I didn’t take A-Levels?

Unis will accept you with just APs, but unless the sixth form offers AP classes, they won't accept you with no intention of studying for A-levels or sitting them. If you registered at a sixth form, they would likely enter you for some exams, and unis would then question why you didn't sit the exams.
No, it wont be an issue applying with USA qualifications as afar as the Unis are concerned - you may need your HS Diploma as well as APs etc
Here are the USA requirements from Bristol as one example - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/usa.html#ug
Its just a bit pointless doing 1 year of 6th Form when you wont get any qualifications from that.

The other problem you will have is your fee status as regardless of passport/visa status, you are likely to be charged overseas fees at University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending