The Student Room Group

University

I have been thinking heavily about what I am wanting to do post A Level studies. I do want to go to University.

The advice I am wanting is based on living at home. I have realised that the University I want to go to is only a 20 minute train journey and if I live at home it will be cheaper than getting into more debt from paying for accommodation. If I live at home it will make studying easier as I am in a familiar environment which will settle my anxiety and if I continue with my weekend job I can then save money as I am going along. By a year I would have around 4 grand in cash that I can then use and if I decide to then look into student accommodation I have the money to do so. If I continue to live at home I will be able to save a lot of money which could then be used to support me in the future and it would take a lot of stress off me as I would be financially stable.

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light and maybe let me know of any further pros and cons to this. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
ok Pros of staying at home are the following:
You dont have to spend like 8k a year on accommodation
You have more financial freedom
You dont have to live in a tiny cubical room
The cons are
You might miss out on the student life in terms of living with your fellow students
You might miss out on some social situations such as flat parties
Original post by Bailey555
I have been thinking heavily about what I am wanting to do post A Level studies. I do want to go to University.

The advice I am wanting is based on living at home. I have realised that the University I want to go to is only a 20 minute train journey and if I live at home it will be cheaper than getting into more debt from paying for accommodation. If I live at home it will make studying easier as I am in a familiar environment which will settle my anxiety and if I continue with my weekend job I can then save money as I am going along. By a year I would have around 4 grand in cash that I can then use and if I decide to then look into student accommodation I have the money to do so. If I continue to live at home I will be able to save a lot of money which could then be used to support me in the future and it would take a lot of stress off me as I would be financially stable.

I am wondering if anyone could shed some light and maybe let me know of any further pros and cons to this. Thank you :smile:

Hello,

It is great to hear you starting your university journey and this sounds like a really thought out plan!

It is also very similar to what one of my best friends did. She lived at home for first year, stayed over with us after nights out and worked her weekend job. By second year she was ready to move into a student house with her course friends (which is often cheaper than halls) and transferred to the York branch for work! She has not been left out or got less of a university experience from doing this and benefited from everything you have mentioned.

I personally did move away but my university is only about half an hour in the car from my family home! I found this really beneficial because I am so familiar with the area and felt confident enough to bring my car with me. You get to explore the city in a different light and find new places whilst easing the typical anxiety of starting such a new stage in your life.

You can hang out with your course friends between lectures and even after as you have travelled there anyway. You can still get involved with societies which allows you to meet more people who you can meet up with when at university. It is always possible to stay on someone's sofa if you don't want to travel back after a night out! Remember to get stuck in and your university experience will not suffer from living at home.

I hope this helps!
Lydia :smile:
You might want to check the student accommodation rules for your uni choice. Some unis only guarantee places in their accom for the first year or something, so if you think you may want to do it at some point then you could live at uni in first year to experience independence, make friends, live the student life, stay out late, join societies and see if you like it, then live at home for years 2 and 3 (when you'll really want to knuckle down with your work more too). If you can't get uni accom and want to live away from home in the future then you'd be looking at private halls or finding a houseshare, which can bring their own challenges.

Of course if you don't like the idea of living in halls / houseshare at all and think you would do better by staying at home then go ahead and live at home, you got to do what works for you.
The student debt is generally nothing to worry about too. An extra 2k or something to live away from home for one year is going to make little difference on top of the 50-60k total in loans. Most people never even pay them all back anyway, if you're over the threshold the percent they take is normally pretty small, and the only people who do pay them all back earn so much that it's no big deal for them to worry about that kind of money.

So yeah don't let the debt of student loans hold you back from getting the experience you want, the cost of living away from home is so miniscule in the grand scheme of it all anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hello,

It is great to hear you starting your university journey and this sounds like a really thought out plan!

It is also very similar to what one of my best friends did. She lived at home for first year, stayed over with us after nights out and worked her weekend job. By second year she was ready to move into a student house with her course friends (which is often cheaper than halls) and transferred to the York branch for work! She has not been left out or got less of a university experience from doing this and benefited from everything you have mentioned.

I personally did move away but my university is only about half an hour in the car from my family home! I found this really beneficial because I am so familiar with the area and felt confident enough to bring my car with me. You get to explore the city in a different light and find new places whilst easing the typical anxiety of starting such a new stage in your life.

You can hang out with your course friends between lectures and even after as you have travelled there anyway. You can still get involved with societies which allows you to meet more people who you can meet up with when at university. It is always possible to stay on someone's sofa if you don't want to travel back after a night out! Remember to get stuck in and your university experience will not suffer from living at home.

I hope this helps!
Lydia :smile:

That has helped a lot thank you. I just feel it will be easier for me as well as while I do want to experience the full University life, I feel even if it is for the first year like your friend to get settled and comfortable first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending