Advice on quitting a job I just started

Watch
username5757249
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 17 and have been working in a retail store as a temporary staff for around 3 weeks and i've figured it's just not for me at all! I feel so anxious even just the day before when i remember that i have a shift the following day. Besides, I have been offered a new job elsewhere which pays much more than the current one and is more convenient!

I'm scared to quit as obviously i have just started and it was only meant to be a summer temp job, but my manager is very passive aggressive that I feel like he will not react well to this, especially because they are always under staffed

How do i go about it? Should i hand in a letter and ask to speak to him at the ned of my shift? Not sure how i'm meant to go about it and im so scared to quit lol
Last edited by username5757249; 1 month ago
lidss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel your pain. I'm the same age as you and my friend and I recently quit our jobs which we were ENORMOUSLY anxious to do as we were scared about how they'll react. I would say, you should 100% go for it as you know what is right for you. It is your life and your boss/manager has no hold over you at all and you have no obligation to them! I would say hand in your notice and maybe talk to them sincerely. Or if you want, just hand in a letter that is kind if you're not comfortable with talking to them directly.. this comes from experience and advice from others!

Good luck! It will all be okay. Don't worry too much.
username5757249
Rep:
?
(Original post by lidss)
I feel your pain. I'm the same age as you and my friend and I recently quit our jobs which we were ENORMOUSLY anxious to do as we were scared about how they'll react. I would say, you should 100% go for it as you know what is right for you. It is your life and your boss/manager has no hold over you at all and you have no obligation to them! I would say hand in your notice and maybe talk to them sincerely. Or if you want, just hand in a letter that is kind if you're not comfortable with talking to them directly.. this comes from experience and advice from others!

Good luck! It will all be okay. Don't worry too much.
thank you so much i appreciate this! will i still have to go in for more shifts, or can i just quit and say this is my last shift here? i feel like it would be so awkward if i i have work there for a few more weeks as it will probably become the new work gossip since they’re all so close :/

also how did your manager react? my manager is so passive aggressive i feel like he’ll make me feel so bad for leaving so soon when the store is at the busiest time of the year
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elizabethxo)
thank you so much i appreciate this! will i still have to go in for more shifts, or can i just quit and say this is my last shift here? i feel like it would be so awkward if i i have work there for a few more weeks as it will probably become the new work gossip since they’re all so close :/

also how did your manager react? my manager is so passive aggressive i feel like he’ll make me feel so bad for leaving so soon when the store is at the busiest time of the year
Do you have a contract? If so it should say how much notice to give. If not, I'd just give a week.
Give your notice at the end of your shift. So if your boss did get arsey, you will be going home then anyway, so won't have to spend the shift with them or anything. Don't go into detail. But if they do ask, just say you have another job. No need to tell them the details.
username5757249
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Do you have a contract? If so it should say how much notice to give. If not, I'd just give a week.
Give your notice at the end of your shift. So if your boss did get arsey, you will be going home then anyway, so won't have to spend the shift with them or anything. Don't go into detail. But if they do ask, just say you have another job. No need to tell them the details
The contract says “During the first 4 weeks of your employment, you and your manager will be considering your suitability for the position. If before the end of 4 weeks, either you or the Company decide the job is unsuitable, you or the company may terminate your employment without notice”

Today makes 26 days of working there, i have a shift tomorrow so was planning on quitting then but the manager will not even be in. So i’m thinking, should i go in to work today on my day off and tell him that i’m quitting today? As if i wait any longer i’ll be required to give 1 week notice which i don’t want to do because it will be awkward working with them for an extra week
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The contract says “During the first 4 weeks of your employment, you and your manager will be considering your suitability for the position. If before the end of 4 weeks, either you or the Company decide the job is unsuitable, you or the company may terminate your employment without notice”

Today makes 26 days of working there, i have a shift tomorrow so was planning on quitting then but the manager will not even be in. So i’m thinking, should i go in to work today on my day off and tell him that i’m quitting today? As if i wait any longer i’ll be required to give 1 week notice which i don’t want to do because it will be awkward working with them for an extra week
You could go in today and quit, yes. With it being close to the deadline with regards to giving no notice/a weeks notice, then yes I'd get in there while you can. At least you can just give your notice and go. You haven't got to hang around/do a shift or anything.
username5757249
Rep:
?
You could go in today and quit, yes. With it being close to the deadline with regards to giving no notice/a weeks notice, then yes I'd get in there while you can. At least you can just give your notice and go. You haven't got to hang around/do a shift or anything.
He called me in this morning to do a shift and i said yes so i’m hoping to speak to him at the end of my shift then leave as quickly as i can😂 thanks for your help!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He called me in this morning to do a shift and i said yes so i’m hoping to speak to him at the end of my shift then leave as quickly as i can😂 thanks for your help!
That's worked out good then.
Yeah, end of the shift is best. You can just give it in then go (rather than still have to put up with working with him for X amount of hours).
username5757249
Rep:
?
That's worked out good then.
Yeah, end of the shift is best. You can just give it in then go (rather than still have to put up with working with him for X amount of hours).
Hi again! So the plan failed terribly, my manager was only in for an hour then left, (i had no idea when he even left) so I didn’t manger to speak to him today!😒

Tomorrow he will not be in but i plan on leaving a letter on his desk for him and then sending him this message after my shift, what do you think?

Hi ______, I was hoping to speak to you today but saw you were off. I wanted to say that i’m grateful for the opportunity you gave me to work here, but I was offered a different position elsewhere that is closer to my skill set and I believe I’m better suited to. So unfortunately I will be leaving this job. If there’s anything that I can do to make this transition smoother for you then please let me know.
I’ve left a letter on your desk explaining all this. I would have loved to tell you this in person or at least over call but as it’s getting late now, I thought maybe it’s best to call you tomorrow to discuss this?
Thank you.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi again! So the plan failed terribly, my manager was only in for an hour then left, (i had no idea when he even left) so I didn’t manger to speak to him today!😒

Tomorrow he will not be in but i plan on leaving a letter on his desk for him and then sending him this message after my shift, what do you think?

Hi ______, I was hoping to speak to you today but saw you were off. I wanted to say that i’m grateful for the opportunity you gave me to work here, but I was offered a different position elsewhere that is closer to my skill set and I believe I’m better suited to. So unfortunately I will be leaving this job. If there’s anything that I can do to make this transition smoother for you then please let me know.
I’ve left a letter on your desk explaining all this. I would have loved to tell you this in person or at least over call but as it’s getting late now, I thought maybe it’s best to call you tomorrow to discuss this?
Thank you.
That sounds fine by me. The only bit I'd change is the last bit where you offer to call him to discuss it. Id leave that bit off. If they really want to call you they will. But I'd run while you can, especially if like you say the manager can be a bit passive aggressive etc. So the less talking the better.
username5757249
Rep:
?
That sounds fine by me. The only bit I'd change is the last bit where you offer to call him to discuss it. Id leave that bit off. If they really want to call you they will. But I'd run while you can, especially if like you say the manager can be a bit passive aggressive etc. So the less talking the better.
Okay, thank you! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads