Unizest e-current accounts?

Watch
Mark1234566
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm moving to the UK next month but I've heard it's difficult to open a UK bank account. I found a company called Unizest which looks promising as they say you can open it anywhere in the world before you get to the UK, does anyone have experience with them? Thanks in advance
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mark1234566)
I'm moving to the UK next month but I've heard it's difficult to open a UK bank account. I found a company called Unizest which looks promising as they say you can open it anywhere in the world before you get to the UK, does anyone have experience with them? Thanks in advance
No experience with them; but if you're coming to the UK as an international student you should be able to open a UK bank account without too many issues. You'll need proof of identity (e.g. passport), proof of your address (e.g. tenancy agreement), and a letter from your university stating your course start and end dates. You might not be able to get the letter until you've registered with the university at the start of the course.

You might want to look at the usage charges for the Unizest account, which can be found here: https://www.unizest.co.uk/tcs/. These look to be significantly more that you're likely to pay for an account with one of the mainstream UK banks.
Last edited by martin7; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mark1234566)
Hi,

In my experience as in international student, it's actually not difficult. As martin7 said, you'll need your passport, proof of address and your CAS, but you'll also need a bank letter from your uni (which they are happy to do for you if you ask them) and your BRP. The whole thing normally doesn't take long, I opened mine in a day and had my card delivered within a week. My flatmates at the time, all international students, all had similar experiences. As did my sister, who started her course last year (although she did have to do some things online because of COVID). Bearing in mind, we all opened bank accounts with different banks. Also, some banks offer specials for new students, such as a railcard or some (like my bank) have a limited offer of 100 pounds when you open an account with them as a student. So definitely go for it! Hope this helps.

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
hannahgeorge8142
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
d

(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

In my experience as in international student, it's actually not difficult. As martin7 said, you'll need your passport, proof of address and your CAS, but you'll also need a bank letter from your uni (which they are happy to do for you if you ask them) and your BRP. The whole thing normally doesn't take long, I opened mine in a day and had my card delivered within a week. My flatmates at the time, all international students, all had similar experiences. As did my sister, who started her course last year (although she did have to do some things online because of COVID). Bearing in mind, we all opened bank accounts with different banks. Also, some banks offer specials for new students, such as a railcard or some (like my bank) have a limited offer of 100 pounds when you open an account with them as a student. So definitely go for it! Hope this helps.

do you have any banks that you would recommend? i'm planning on opening an account when i get to the UK but i'm having trouble choosing which bank to go with. just thought i'd ask since you know some international students who've opened as well!
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, some banks offer specials for new students, such as a railcard or some (like my bank) have a limited offer of 100 pounds when you open an account with them as a student. So definitely go for it! Hope this helps.
Bear in mind that international students are typically not eligible for student accounts that offer perks -- for example, you may need to be a UK citizen, or to have lived in the UK for three years. So it's worth checking eligibility when researching which bank to use.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannahgeorge8142)
d

do you have any banks that you would recommend? i'm planning on opening an account when i get to the UK but i'm having trouble choosing which bank to go with. just thought i'd ask since you know some international students who've opened as well!
Hi,

Sure, I highly recommend Barclays or HSBC. A friend of mine opened one at Lloyds and she says they're alright so that's another option if you want. Hope that helps!

hannahgeorge8142
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Sure, I highly recommend Barclays or HSBC. A friend of mine opened one at Lloyds and she says they're alright so that's another option if you want. Hope that helps!

thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads