what countries have you visited and had bad memories of?

Watch
t0897
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
People talk about their favourite countries they've visited but I'm just curious to hear the opposite.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Austria, Belgium, Holland, Northern Cyprus, Spain and Sweden.
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Austria, Belgium, Holland, Northern Cyprus, Spain and Sweden.
wait why? I want to visit a few of those
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
France. Not a strongly negative experience, but there was nothing special about it and it seemed hugely overrated. I also felt like I was being stared at a lot for being an outsider, which I haven’t experienced in the same way elsewhere.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
xxx0xxxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
France. Not a strongly negative experience, but there was nothing special about it and it seemed hugely overrated. I also felt like I was being stared at a lot for being an outsider, which I haven’t experienced in the same way elsewhere.
Agree with this, I also found Los Angeles very depressing for some reason.
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
yes a lot of my friends have said similar things
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have only ever been to France and Lanzarote. I generally like Lanzarote, but the second time I went, I was 13 and pretty caught up in puberty so I couldn't really enjoy it. I didn't enjoy holidays at that age. Cornwall, and the last 2 times I went to Lanzarote I all remember as being boring and I just wanted to go home, but that was due to be being an antisocial p*ssy at that age. I'm really disappointed in myself for not being more willing to try new things at that age because I know if I went to either of those places now I'd like it. I recently went on holiday to Devon (which was also my first holiday without my parents) with a mate and I absolutely loved it, so I think I'd feel the same about Cornwall now considering it's fairly similar. I'd also enjoy Lanzarote now because weirdly enough Devon is actually somewhat similar, if not a bit more humid and wet.

I don't think it helped that the last 2 times we went to Lanzarote, we basically didn't do anything. We did all of the tourist attractions the first time I went when I was 9 (and I very much enjoyed it that time), so there wasn't anything to do. So I think I got bored of it fairly quickly. I'm the complete opposite of what I used to be, I love going to different places now.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wigan
username3477548
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dubai. I don't have bad memories but I believe it's overrated.
Last edited by username3477548; 1 month ago
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
my geography teacher went there too and so have I and she is from Singapore, it's so sad but the people at the shopping centre mistook her for a worker and told her to hold their bags, she was so shocked
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gjd800)
wigan
I'd forgotten about their sovereignty.
username3477548
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by t0897)
my geography teacher went there too and so have I and she is from Singapore, it's so sad but the people at the shopping centre mistook her for a worker and told her to hold their bags, she was so shocked
Aww no😭 Plus there's so many sexist laws in Dubai. It didn't sit right with me when I was visiting.
Last edited by username3477548; 1 month ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was on a coach trip once that stopped at a services in Switzerland.

Very overrated. Cost 25 Franks to go for a poo. :noway:
t0897
Rep:
?
Aww no😭 Plus there's so many sexist laws in Dubai. It didn't sit right with me when I was visiting.
Yh the UAE makes me upset, it's meant to be a Muslim country but it's run by autocracy and goes against all Islamic teachings, quite sad.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have no idea why anybody would want to go to Dubai. The entire city is just a messed up temple to consumerism and it's an environmental (and social) travesty. I genuinely cannot understand the appeal.
Last edited by Plagioclase; 1 month ago
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
I have no idea why anybody would want to go to Dubai. The entire city is just a messed up temple to consumerism and it's an environmental (and social) travesty. I genuinely cannot understand the appeal.
Yh I would never return
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
There's no country I only have bad memories of, but there are cities - particularly Paris. Horrible place, would not recommend.
what is Paris like and why is it horrible? I haven't gone and don't intend to
t0897
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Was on a coach trip once that stopped at a services in Switzerland.

Very overrated. Cost 25 Franks to go for a poo. :noway:
wowwww, but was Switzerland very beautiful? I have always wanted to go to their countryside
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm seeing a lot of France in the replies and I agree. It's like an underlying passive aggression. I've had more outward offensive comments here in England though.
I'm a hijabi and black lol. Best of both worlds...
Code: Acxd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
france, iraq, dubai, denmark, malasia, spain, wales, england, turkey
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads