kctherine3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im waiting for my gcse results on august the 12th and for my levels I have chosen maths art and physics... however cannot decide between physics and chemistry, we finished the gcse early so we got to do some a level work and chemistry was challenging but definitely a lot easier than physics however ever since I started the gcse course I hated chem and only recently got good at it and unsure whether I just got lucky this year because of the exams being made by the teachers. i really enjoyed physics gcse but not sure if I will be able to handle it at alevel but I do enjoy working hard and feeling rewarded for e.g i did further maths at gcse
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kctherine3)
im waiting for my gcse results on august the 12th and for my levels I have chosen maths art and physics... however cannot decide between physics and chemistry, we finished the gcse early so we got to do some a level work and chemistry was challenging but definitely a lot easier than physics however ever since I started the gcse course I hated chem and only recently got good at it and unsure whether I just got lucky this year because of the exams being made by the teachers. i really enjoyed physics gcse but not sure if I will be able to handle it at alevel but I do enjoy working hard and feeling rewarded for e.g i did further maths at gcse
What do you want to do after A-Levels?

Also considering it is a two year course I would suggest going with physics, since you have enjoyed it for a while - you can usually change between things within the first few weeks if you realise you made the wrong decision
t0897
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kctherine3)
What degree do you think you want to do, check the requirements then do a pros and cons list of physics and chemistry. I did chemistry at GCSE and got a 9 but didn't like it, but at alevels I had really good teachers and did well so I enjoyed it. My friends who take physics and chemistry always get lower grades in physics than chem because it's more challenging but if that's something you thrive in then do it. You can also check what teachers are teaching it to make sure the teaching quality is high. You could do 4 alevels at the start of y12 or choose 3 and then in the first 2 weeks try them out and if you don't enjoy one of them you can switch or drop, my school let me do that.
SchrödingerzCat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i do both chemistry and physics. i personally find that chemistry is easier than physics. however, your teachers never explain to you how DIFFERENT alevels are from gcses. the workload is so much more, and so in depth, that it tends to surprise everyone. this isn't to put you off though!! choose a subject that you really enjoy, because you will be much more motivated to complete the work and learn more to get better. if you enjoy physics, definitely choose physics. it's my favourite alevel and you gain so much from it. it also ties in with the work you do in maths, which is sometimes so so useful. :]
kctherine3
Rep:
?
yes i am nervous but I'm glad that I can finally start fresh and work hard from the start and have the revision techniques that I have picked up from gcse ( too late almost) i also chose the epq option but will decide to drop it at the start of the year since I want to focus on my three alevels and do my best in those
there are also only like 2 other girls in my year atm who are choosing physics :/
kctherine3
Rep:
?
(Original post by t0897)
What degree do you think you want to do, check the requirements then do a pros and cons list of physics and chemistry. I did chemistry at GCSE and got a 9 but didn't like it, but at alevels I had really good teachers and did well so I enjoyed it. My friends who take physics and chemistry always get lower grades in physics than chem because it's more challenging but if that's something you thrive in then do it. You can also check what teachers are teaching it to make sure the teaching quality is high. You could do 4 alevels at the start of y12 or choose 3 and then in the first 2 weeks try them out and if you don't enjoy one of them you can switch or drop, my school let me do that.
At the moment - architecture because i like how it incorporates both maths and art but physics isn't usually necessary but it would be preferred, there are less that choose chem. When you had to switch did you have to catch up on a lot of work?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads