Veterinary work experience

Watch this thread
SusanGar
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Really quick question - and is probably going to sound stupid, but would working at an aquarium shop count as work experience with fish? Would that even count as work experience at all? Fish aren't the most common of pets that would come into a practice...
PurpleVet
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SusanGar)
Really quick question - and is probably going to sound stupid, but would working at an aquarium shop count as work experience with fish? Would that even count as work experience at all? Fish aren't the most common of pets that would come into a practice...
The aquarium will probably count as work experience, however I would prioritise getting work experience in these core areas: animal husbandry small animals, equine, farm as well as clinical experience at a vets if possible.
kusum84
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SusanGar)
No, you are not going to get the work experience of working with fish. But you should definitely get the work experience for the period to work with the aquarium. Likewise, I had worked for Pet Meds Online company but I got the work experience as a Storekeeper, not as a vet.
Last edited by kusum84; 9 months ago
aritar
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Depends, it'll vary from uni to uni. As long as you are actually getting experience looking after aquatic animals it should be fine. But as others have said prioritise, small animals, equine and farm animals if you can. That being said if you do want to make use of your aquarium connection, I did a placement at an aquarium as part of my EMS during vet school, so aquatic veterinary care is very much a thing you can go into and explore
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
It may count as an 'other' placement but I wouldn't let it take the place of more core species such as dogs/cats, horses, cattle/sheep/pigs. Whilst there are actually fish vets within the UK (and this could be something worth looking into if you're interested in it - the salmon/fishing industry in particular of Scotland is fairly large) universities will be focussing on the majority as this is what their courses focus on. You will have some fish teaching but it will be the odd lecture not lots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.76%
The paper was reasonable (167)
49.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (82)
24.12%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed