The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Official University of Plymouth Applicant Thread 2022

Hi everyone!

This is a thread for University of Plymouth 2022 Applicants! :cool:

We're so excited to get to meet everyone, but until then lets get to know each other a little better!

- What course are you applying for?

- What other unis have you applied to?

- What Halls do you want to move into?

- What is the thing about Plymouth that most excites you?

:banana:

Post a bit about yourself below, or let me know if you have any questions!

Luke - University of Plymouth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi everyone!

We're so excited to get to meet everyone, but until then lets get to know each other a little better!

Hi, I'm Katy!
I'm applying for Optometry at Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and Hertfordshire. I'm not completely sure yet if I want to live in halls or commute but I'll have to make a decision soon! Do you think it'll be harder to make friends if I don't live in halls?
The thing I'm most looking forward to if I study at Plymouth is how the city is so close to the sea and that I'll be able to visit the Barbican more often.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by mannkaty0
Hi, I'm Katy!
I'm applying for Optometry at Plymouth, Cardiff, UWE Bristol and Hertfordshire. I'm not completely sure yet if I want to live in halls or commute but I'll have to make a decision soon! Do you think it'll be harder to make friends if I don't live in halls?
The thing I'm most looking forward to if I study at Plymouth is how the city is so close to the sea and that I'll be able to visit the Barbican more often.

Hi Katy,

Nice to meet you!

Funnily enough, that's quite a similar range of choices that I had made back in my day of applying to uni :smile: - I eventually decided on Plymouth because of the city and location really. Very few places in the UK where you can go straight from a lecture, grab a bite to eat in the city centre and then be sitting by the sea all within 20 minutes! In fact that's what I did yesterday, minus the lecture of course! :biggrin:

In terms of commuting, would you be staying at home or just looking to live a little further out? There's so many accommodation options you'd be able to find private accommodation pretty much anywhere in the city (or further afield!), and all of the Uni managed- or approved-Halls are pretty central to the city and main campus.

Whilst Halls can be great to meet people straight away (as you're all thrust together from day 1!) it's definitely not the only way to make friends. In fact a lot of my friends (who I'm still talking to or meeting nearly a decade later!) didn't stay in Halls themselves, whereas I did. That's the good thing about uni really, because there's so many different ways to meet people - accommodation, societies, your course, nights out, etc - if you put yourself out there it wont be long 'til you find your "tribe", as they say :cheers:.

Here's some info about our Uni-managed Halls - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation

And a bit about the private sector which includes approved Halls - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/private-sector

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi, I'm Katy!

Hi any tips for applying to optometry please x
Hi Katy,

Nice to meet you!

Funnily enough, that's quite a similar range of choices that I had made back in my day of applying to uni :smile: - I eventually decided on Plymouth because of the city and location really. Very few places in the UK where you can go straight from a lecture, grab a bite to eat in the city centre and then be sitting by the sea all within 20 minutes! In fact that's what I did yesterday, minus the lecture of course! :biggrin:

In terms of commuting, would you be staying at home or just looking to live a little further out? There's so many accommodation options you'd be able to find private accommodation pretty much anywhere in the city (or further afield!), and all of the Uni managed- or approved-Halls are pretty central to the city and main campus.

Whilst Halls can be great to meet people straight away (as you're all thrust together from day 1!) it's definitely not the only way to make friends. In fact a lot of my friends (who I'm still talking to or meeting nearly a decade later!) didn't stay in Halls themselves, whereas I did. That's the good thing about uni really, because there's so many different ways to meet people - accommodation, societies, your course, nights out, etc - if you put yourself out there it wont be long 'til you find your "tribe", as they say :cheers:.

Here's some info about our Uni-managed Halls - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation

And a bit about the private sector which includes approved Halls - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/private-sector

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

I'm thinking of staying in halls now as if I commuted from home I'd have to get the train to Plymouth and then the bus to the health campus, I'd probably spend half the day travelling 🥲. Which halls would you recommend?
I'm thinking of staying in halls now as if I commuted from home I'd have to get the train to Plymouth and then the bus to the health campus, I'd probably spend half the day travelling 🥲. Which halls would you recommend?

I know people who've made the daily commute from further afield so it's definitely doable! Personally that wouldn't be for me though, I'd rather climb out of bed, cross the road and hop on a bus straight to the health campus haha.

I stayed in Pilgrim Halls back in my day and that was a great experience - I had one of the larger rooms with an en-suite & wetroom shower, a double bed and even a fridge in my room!! Luxury for a student :biggrin:. All of the Uni-managed Halls are finished to a high specification and undergo maintenance and redecoration every year so they might have changed a little from when I was there. They're also generally located on campus or at the student village across the road (with the bus stop to Derriford Hospital like a 2 minute walk away).

The various private-halls are spread around the city and so might have some features which you prefer, for example being closer to a gym, the Barbican or main shopping areas!

Usually the first thing I would look at is cost and see what you can afford within your budget, make a shortlist and take it from there!

If you need any specific advise on our Uni-managed Halls you can always get in contact with our friendly Residence Life team by email at [email protected] or on Facebook.

All the best,

Reply 6
hi!
i'm doing marine biology at plymouth next year and i was wondering what your admissions team were like regarding people already at uni wanting to drop out, take a gap year and change to plymouth uni?
my boyfriend has just started first year doing mechanical engineering at a london uni (where we are from) and doesn't enjoy it. he wants to know if it was possible to drop out of his current uni and take a gap year (like i am) and then join at plymouth without having to reapply on ucas? he has the grades for your mechanical engineering course and doesn't want to carry on here for much longer as its having an impact on his mental health and will affect his student loan. we just wanted to know options before he drops out and when is a good time to drop out.

thank you :smile:
Original post by chaz17
hi!
i'm doing marine biology at plymouth next year and i was wondering what your admissions team were like regarding people already at uni wanting to drop out, take a gap year and change to plymouth uni?
my boyfriend has just started first year doing mechanical engineering at a london uni (where we are from) and doesn't enjoy it. he wants to know if it was possible to drop out of his current uni and take a gap year (like i am) and then join at plymouth without having to reapply on ucas? he has the grades for your mechanical engineering course and doesn't want to carry on here for much longer as its having an impact on his mental health and will affect his student loan. we just wanted to know options before he drops out and when is a good time to drop out.

thank you :smile:

Hey chaz17 :smile:

I'm sorry to hear your boyfriend hasn't been enjoying his course in London. But don't worry, changing courses is definitely something that's doable, though in terms of UCAS applications I'm not 100% sure! What I would suggest is getting in touch with our Admissions team for a chat to discuss your boyfriends situation in more detail and they will be able to give you the best advice about moving forward and applying to Plymouth :smartass:.

You can drop them an email at [email protected], or call for a direct response on +441752 585858!

Good luck to you both :smile:

hi I'm Nikki!

I'm applying for the medicine with a Foundation year course at Plymouth,Dundee, Bristol, Kings College London and psychology at Cambridge
Reply 9
Hey chaz17 :smile:

I'm sorry to hear your boyfriend hasn't been enjoying his course in London. But don't worry, changing courses is definitely something that's doable, though in terms of UCAS applications I'm not 100% sure! What I would suggest is getting in touch with our Admissions team for a chat to discuss your boyfriends situation in more detail and they will be able to give you the best advice about moving forward and applying to Plymouth :smartass:.

You can drop them an email at [email protected], or call for a direct response on +441752 585858!

Good luck to you both :smile:

hi luke

they said he hasn’t done all of the modules in sixth form needed to come to plymouth :frown: little bit sad because we did there was a high chance he could go. i’ve called them today to see if anything can be done as he contacted the head of engineering directly, rather than admissions, so i called admissions. they said they will look into it. hopefully they agree in the end otherwise it’s going to very tough :/

thanks for your help tho
Reply 10
Hi Luke,

I'm applying to UoP in 2022 at undergraduate level (and can't wait for the open day) but I am just curious as to whether the University of Plymouth has its own portal for undergraduate applicants to receive notifications about any interviews? or I will I be notified via. UCAS/my email?

Thank you!
Original post by bruh121
Hi Luke,

I'm applying to UoP in 2022 at undergraduate level (and can't wait for the open day) but I am just curious as to whether the University of Plymouth has its own portal for undergraduate applicants to receive notifications about any interviews? or I will I be notified via. UCAS/my email?

Thank you!

Hey bruh121,

Great to hear you're applying for 2022. And I'm sure you'll love the next open day too - I walked into town and went through campus during last Saturday's open day and it was live, everyone looked to be having a great time! :thumbsup:

Regarding your query - When an applicant is offered an interview they'll get a notification from UCAS / their UCAS account will be updated with the information, as well as getting an email from us - so no separate portal to check. Hope that helps! :smile:

All the best,
Reply 12
Hi Luke,

Thanks for responding! That cleared up a lot for me and really helped me.
Hi,
Im applying to Diagnostic Radiography at plymouth!
Original post by surething1234
Hi,
Im applying to Diagnostic Radiography at plymouth!

Hey surething1234,

Great to hear from you! And wow that's a really interesting course I'm sure you're going to love it.

Have you been lucky enough to attend any of our Open Days this year? If not I can recommend booking a place for our December event (4/12) if you'd like to look around the campus and local area.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Uni or city itself!

Hiyaaaa! I'm applying for english literature.
Reply 16
I applied to study Social Work, and had an interview on 17th November. The panel said I’d hopefully have a response within 10 days but still haven’t heard back. The wait is torture 😬
Original post by __itsjustbilly
Hiyaaaa! I'm applying for english literature.

Hi __itsjustbilly,

That sounds amazing! Good luck! I hope that you will enjoy your course and make the most out of it!

Are you planning to attend the Undergraduate Open Day on 4th December?

I am an Environmental Science student, but if you have any questions about the uni or Plymouth in general you are welcome to pop them here!

-Maria
Original post by dronning
I applied to study Social Work, and had an interview on 17th November. The panel said I’d hopefully have a response within 10 days but still haven’t heard back. The wait is torture 😬

Hi dronning!

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I know how annoying that could be: I am an international student doing the Environmental Science degree, and I waited for the response much longer than I expected! Unfortunately, it is a very busy time of the year for them so all we can do is to be a little bit more patient.

I hope you will hear from them soon, Social Work is essential!

Good luck!
-Maria
Hi everyone!

Hi,
I'm applying for paramedic science but have been waiting for a response for weeks. I don't even know if I'm being considered for an interview and it's honestly quite stressful. Anyone else doing same course? If so how long did it take for a reply? Plymouth is my top choice :smile: (others are UWE, UEA, NTU, and ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending