The Student Room Group

University open day age?

I was wondering whether you had to be a certain age in order to go to an open day at a university. At what age do people usually start going and is there a rule for how old you have to be?
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering whether you had to be a certain age in order to go to an open day at a university. At what age do people usually start going and is there a rule for how old you have to be?

I don't think there is a "age limit", but realistically there isn't much reason to go before year 12. In my opinion anyway.

Edit: Unless perhaps you are applying for a course/university that requires further maths at A-level, in which case going in year 11 to asses whether you like the university enough to commit to that seems reasonable.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi!
University open days are for anyone and everyone. A lot of people are from year 12/13 but it's never too early or too late to think about uni.
In some cases, it may help to aid your A level choices if you go to a university open day and find out more information about what you may need to take.
Generally, students in year 12/13 attend open days as that is the age lots of people apply to uni/start considering their options. That being said, there are also mature students who attend them, as well as younger students who are keen to learn more about university.
I went to open days in the summer of year 11/throughout year 12 which meant I was very prepared when it came to applying in year 13.
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:
Hi @Anonymous
As mentioned above open days don’t have an age limit as much but students tend to go year 12/year 13 when they are considering going to university. But university days open are open to people any age to get an idea of where they want to study.
Hope this helps!
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly
(edited 2 years ago)

Eldest did some early year 12 and some in year 13. That was so she didnt feel rushed come year 13 looking at 5-6 places all in one go.

I agree with the above mentioned comments.

It is definitely never too early! I have given a campus tour to a year 11 before. It may help to have some motivation through your A-Levels by having an image in mind for your goal. It also gives you lots of time to prepare. We would be happy to see you!

However, going in year 12 is more common and early year 13 so you don't have to worry about it just yet. You may change your mind over two years anyway so do not put too much pressure on yourself.

Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending