Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Will a conviction in 1991 stop me passing a prision security check to work in a prision as a teaching assistant 2021
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2480)
Will a conviction in 1991 stop me passing a prision security check to work in a prision as a teaching assistant 2021
It depends on the nature of the conviction. I would discuss this with your potential employer in advance- they will know if your conviction will present a problem or not.
themagics1992
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/finding-out-about-your-criminal-record/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check
Last edited by themagics1992; 1 month ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am not 100% on this, but I believe a prison security check is more intensive than a DBS check, and so may bring up things that would be filtered on a DBS.
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It depends on the nature of the conviction. I would discuss this with your potential employer in advance- they will know if your conviction will present a problem or not.
I have passed my DBS check but waiting to no if I would pass the prison security check
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2480)
I have passed my DBS check but waiting to no if I would pass the prison security check
Your potential employer will know which sorts of convictions are a barrier to working for them. I strongly suggest you discuss it with them directly.
themagics1992
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am not 100% on this, but I believe a prison security check is more intensive than a DBS check, and so may bring up things that would be filtered on a DBS.
There are 3 types of DBS, I assume he'll be having an enhanced DBS as working in a prsion and vulnerable adults etc.
I've not heard of a prison check because enhanced DBS allows people to work as doctors and work as teachers etc, so I'm not sure why prison would be subject to more vetting although you could be right.

Even then on an enhanced DBS it may not show his offences if his offence(s) have been filtered out it all depends on what he was convicted for and I saw him mention 1991 30 years ago.. unless he was convicted of a serious crime with lengthy custodial it'll most likely be ok.

I've been told from Medical schools that I'd be able to put in an application in the future and I have a conviction which was just criminal damage (drunken teenager on a night out thinking I was the world when I was 18 and that was in 2010 and that conviction expires this November as its eligible for filtering.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by themagics1992)
There are 3 types of DBS, I assume he'll be having an enhanced DBS as working in a prsion and vulnerable adults etc.
I've not heard of a prison check because enhanced DBS allows people to work as doctors and work as teachers etc, so I'm not sure why prison would be subject to more vetting although you could be right.

Even then on an enhanced DBS it may not show his offences if his offence(s) have been filtered out it all depends on what he was convicted for and I saw him mention 1991 30 years ago.. unless he was convicted of a serious crime with lengthy custodial it'll most likely be ok.

I've been told from Medical schools that I'd be able to put in an application in the future and I have a conviction which was just criminal damage (drunken teenager on a night out thinking I was the world when I was 18 and that was in 2010 and that conviction expires this November as its eligible for filtering.
If you read OP's posts, you can see they have already passed an enhanced DBS. However, in many roles, relating directly to working with offenders, or those relating to national security, there are further enhanced checks that take place.

These checks don't follow the rehabilitation of offenders act, so convictions don't become filtered/spent in the same way.

I believe this often relates to concerns about people smuggling drugs and other contraband into prisons, so for example, those with a previous conviction for supplying drugs are often barred from working in prisons.

Working as a teacher or a doctor, the security clearance is mostly about protecting vulnerable people you have contact with. Obviously, we want to protect prisoners from abuse too BUT the nature of a prison is very different to e.g. a school or a hospital, and therefore you are more likely to be working with people who may wish to encourage you to commit a crime on their behalf.
themagics1992
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you read OP's posts, you can see they have already passed an enhanced DBS. However, in many roles, relating directly to working with offenders, or those relating to national security, there are further enhanced checks that take place.
I wrote before he wrote that I just didn't see he had replied.
I hadn't heard of a 'security' check for prisons etc so I assumed he meant the DBS which is why I posted the links of filtering & unlock.

And yes your concerns regarding drug smuggling was my concern also so if the person has convictions for drug offences especially supplying it'll highly likely be a No to being accepted 30 years ago or not.

As you mention he needs to speak to his employer which is all he can do and ask them questions.
But ultimately it will be down to the prison service and what he was convicted of.
Rep:
?
I hadn't heard of a 'security' check for prisons etc so I assumed he meant the DBS which is why I posted the links of filtering & unlock.

And yes your concerns regarding drug smuggling was my concern also so if the person has convictions for drug offences especially supplying it'll highly likely be a No to being accepted 30 years ago or not.

As you mention he needs to speak to his employer which is all he can do and ask them questions.
But ultimately it will be down to the prison service and what he was convicted of.
No drug convictions
themagics1992
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2480)
No drug convictions
I hope you pass the security check though, All the best!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Just because you haven't heard of something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads