Which is the better uni? Exeter Manchester or Nottingham?

Watch
Mathstarget10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For students who have studied or are currently studying in the following unis, which one is better? Exeter Manchester or Nottingham.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There isnt a better university. For each person it will be different. Exeter is much smaller than the other. Is that for you. Manchester is a huge city. How will you feel about going there. Nottingham is somewhere between.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no 'better or 'best' - it depends on the subject, your grade predictions, what you want in the course, what you need from a University etc etc.

Please read - How to Avoid 5 Rejections - all of it : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Better for what?

I'm assuming from your username that you are planning on studying maths, in which case I'd say Manchester is the strongest of the three by a wide margin for that subject. The other two aren't really in the same league as it for that subject area in my opinion.
Mathstarget10
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Better for what?

I'm assuming from your username that you are planning on studying maths, in which case I'd say Manchester is the strongest of the three by a wide margin for that subject. The other two aren't really in the same league as it for that subject area in my opinion.
Sorry I should’ve been more specific, I wanted to know which one has better teaching. Thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nobody is going to know that as they wont have been to each to compare, You could try the guardian ranking. I think they use teaching as part of their gradings.
StarLinyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mathstarget10)
Sorry I should’ve been more specific, I wanted to know which one has better teaching. Thanks
Academically speaking, Manchester is a bit ahead of Nottingham and Exeter, although the latter make nicer environments for learning as they are leafy campus based universities. Exeter is very popular with private schools, whilst Nottingham has made great strides to reduce private school intake.

If it was my choice, I would choose from Nottingham and Exeter, but mainly because Manchester is not a campus university. I prefer to be on a safe and secure campus boundary that is just for the students.
Last edited by StarLinyx; 1 month ago
dougieW
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Manchester will be better regarded by employers and is harder to get in. The reputation is very high.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dougieW)
Manchester will be better regarded by employers and is harder to get in. The reputation is very high.
Doesn't work like that when comparing Russell Group universities at the middle end.
Mathstarget10
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarLinyx)
Academically speaking, Manchester is a bit ahead of Nottingham and Exeter, although the latter make nicer environments for learning as they are leafy campus based universities. Exeter is very popular with private schools, whilst Nottingham has made great strides to reduce private school intake.

If it was my choice, I would choose from Nottingham and Exeter, but mainly because Manchester is not a campus university. I prefer to be on a safe and secure campus boundary that is just for the students.
Thank you for your advise.
ParadoxicalNerd
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Manchester, objectively speaking (it’s in the RG top 10)
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ParadoxicalNerd)
That is only half the story. You have to consider the campuses and whether the environment suits you. Choosing a university based on reputation alone is a bad idea. Manchester isn't a particularly nice looking university, other than the main building and library.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mathstarget10)
Thank you for your advise.
Exeter for the campus and environment

Exeter and Nottingham are gold rated, Manchester is silver - Teaching Excellence Framework - this is not subject specific though and generally League tables are flawed.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Exeter for the campus and environment

Exeter and Nottingham are gold rated, Manchester is silver - Teaching Excellence Framework - this is not subject specific though and generally League tables are flawed.
Nottingham also has a very nice green campus, with new buildings and facilities popping up all over the university.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yea definitely Manchester,
why study at the department that produced the last fields medalist when you can attend a university the CUG arbitrarily decided was in the top 10 this year.

This is not saying you should go elsewhere, but that is a not a good reason.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
ParadoxicalNerd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
That is only half the story. You have to consider the campuses and whether the environment suits you. Choosing a university based on reputation alone is a bad idea. Manchester isn't a particularly nice looking university, other than the main building and library.
Hence why I said “objectively speaking”. I agree with what you’re saying but those are personal judgments only the OP can make.
ParadoxicalNerd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yea definitely Manchester,
why study at the department that produced the last fields medalist when you can attend a university the CUG arbitrarily decided was in the top 10 this year.

This is not saying you should go elsewhere, but that is a not a good reason.
Read my reply to StarLinyx
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Read my reply to StarLinyx
My point was different, Starlinyx was describing a preference for the type of university layout.

Im saying choosing a university because of the CUG ranking is not sensible. Using the CUG rankings are generally a pretty poor way to evaluate a university.
ParadoxicalNerd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
My point was different, Starlinyx was describing a preference for the type of university layout.

Im saying choosing a university because of the CUG ranking is not sensible. Using the CUG rankings are generally a pretty poor way to evaluate a university.
It’s not just CUG. Manchester is consistently ranked higher in other places, in fact, it’s placed higher than KCL on these two sites:

https://www.studyin-uk.com/uk-study-...sity-rankings/
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...sities-uk-2021
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not just CUG. Manchester is consistently ranked higher in other places, in fact, it’s placed higher than KCL on these two sites:

https://www.studyin-uk.com/uk-study-...sity-rankings/
https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...sities-uk-2021
My point expands to university rankings as a whole not just the CUG.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.59%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.21%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.73%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.35%

Watched Threads