The Student Room Group

Came out as lesbian to my family now they want me out the house

So I came out as a lesbian to my mum and dad now they say I've brought shame into the family and they want me out the house as soon as possible saying I'm no daughter of theirs I'm absolutely broken and have been crying all day, any advice?

Scroll to see replies

How old are you?
Do you have any monthly income, savings or friends with a spare room who could let you stay with them for a few days?
Oh gosh, I am so so sorry this has happened :frown:

If you are aged between 16-25, please contact this charity pronto if you are currently living in England: https://www.akt.org.uk/
Reply 3
Could you say you were joking so that you can continue living there until you’re able to move out. Not in a rude way, just making sure you won’t be homeless
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
If you don't mind me asking, what ethnicity and religion are they?
I know that both religion and culture can affect whether someone supports LGBTQ, especially in Islam, as you're supposed to not support LGBTQ.

how is this relevant to op's immediate safety ?? not helpful -- they need resources and advice
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
How old are you?
Do you have any monthly income, savings or friends with a spare room who could let you stay with them for a few days?

I'm 17 still in college i got hardly any savings or income and don't have many friends
Reply 6
This is why you tell them when you are fully independent. Now you just lie to them and tell them you're interested marrying a man and having a family until you don't rely on them anymore. Though it would take some convincing.

I thought they would accept it
Reply 7
This is why you tell them when you are fully independent. Now you just lie to them and tell them you're interested marrying a man and having a family until you don't rely on them anymore. Though it would take some convincing.

why are you putting blame on op when it's obviously not their fault,, weird ://
I thought they would accept it

Ok I see, well if that's the case then this is just very unfortunate. Just try and do what you need to do to make the situation easier for yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by _Nyx_n9ne
Your parents love you. Even though they are acting berserk.Give them time. Give yourself time. I agree with the other post, if you have a friend's couch you can crash on, that would be good. So all of you can cool off. Remember to be good and kind to yourself.Let your parents cool off. The more rashly they act, the more they must care about you.Give them time.

not at all true,, sounds very much like you're excusing an abusive situation
Your parents love you. Even though they are acting berserk.Give them time. Give yourself time. I agree with the other post, if you have a friend's couch you can crash on, that would be good. So all of you can cool off. Remember to be good and kind to yourself.Let your parents cool off. The more rashly they act, the more they must care about you.Give them time.
Original post by hrtpjm
not at all true,, sounds very much like you're excusing an abusive situation

No. The parents are not to be excused. But the last thing you would want for this person is estrangement. Love can conquer all. I believe in patience and love. ...
So I came out as a lesbian to my mum and dad now they say I've brought shame into the family and they want me out the house as soon as possible saying I'm no daughter of theirs I'm absolutely broken and have been crying all day, any advice?

I am so sorry that this happened.

What you did was brave, and you should be proud of yourself.

What you need to do now is consider your future. You can wait to see if they’ll cool off and let you stay.

Or you can try and secure yourself. Follow this link to see what the Shelter charity can do for you to have secure accommodation. https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline
Or you can call this number if it is urgent, which it is: tel:08088004444

Maybe contact your school or college to see if they can help in any way.

Try and have a network for moral and emotional support.

Please update me in your progress and all the best!
Doubt it now I see just how homophobic they are they called me disgusting they wanted me married to a rich man with kids
If you can get them to believe that it was a prank and avoid getting married soon, stay with them for now till you are independent. Once you are independent, move out.
If that is not possible, you might have to contact authorities to escape from them.
just backtrack and say you would get married to a man then bide your time until you are financially independant.
I'm a Muslim lesbian and I keep quiet about it I've already slept with another girl if my Dad found out he would kill me and I'm not joking he said he would not hesitate to do an honour killing
I'm a Muslim lesbian and I keep quiet about it I've already slept with another girl if my Dad found out he would kill me and I'm not joking he said he would not hesitate to do an honour killing

He said he would do an honour killing, so you already told him? What’s wrong with our Asian culture? It’s literally a sin to kill, worse than homosexuality. This is not what Islam is about. My parents at least respected my decision, but did not support it, I am grateful for that. I hope things work out for everyone.
He said he would do an honour killing, so you already told him? What’s wrong with our Asian culture? It’s literally a sin to kill, worse than homosexuality. This is not what Islam is about. My parents at least respected my decision, but did not support it, I am grateful for that. I hope things work out for everyone.

PRSOM

OP please update us. I hope everything ends up working out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending