oceanblue11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello, so i’ve been thinking about university options and i’ve come to the conclusion that i’d most likely prefer to stay in london due to the city feel and sense of familiarity which i think i’d be uncomfortable leaving behind. i would love to go to ucl and stay in halls however the commute from where i live would only be under an hour therefore i’d be able to save a lot on living costs and accommodation. i would also be happy to commute however i am not super outgoing and confident so would this make it difficult to make friends/ have a good social life without moving in? what would be better, commuting or uni accommodation?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
If you struggle with the social aspect of things, staying at home would risk only adding to that. Going to uni is about leaving your comfort zone, experience putting yourself out there and having your first real go at a somewhat independent lifestyle.

I am a huge advocate for moving out of your home, I say this to almost everyone making this decision. If you can financially and practically afford it, move out! Halls in first year is where you get your first chance at independent living, growing as a young adult, creating connections with people on levels you’ve not experienced before. Nobody can truly develop as an adult living at home - strict parents or laid back, you just can’t grow if you stay in your comfort zone.

As I said, if you are financially stable enough to do it, do it! Especially at this early stage of your life, you need to enjoy yourself and experience new things. Maybe staying at home will save you a few quid here and there, but so what? The experiences and personal growth by moving out of your home are priceless.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oceanblue11)
hello, so i’ve been thinking about university options and i’ve come to the conclusion that i’d most likely prefer to stay in london due to the city feel and sense of familiarity which i think i’d be uncomfortable leaving behind. i would love to go to ucl and stay in halls however the commute from where i live would only be under an hour therefore i’d be able to save a lot on living costs and accommodation. i would also be happy to commute however i am not super outgoing and confident so would this make it difficult to make friends/ have a good social life without moving in? what would be better, commuting or uni accommodation?
Hey oceanblue11,

Plenty of students at university will commute in rather than living at university, purely based on their situation.

The "better" option is entirely up to you. There is a sense of familiarity & potential savings in rent from living at home, but some people prefer the increased independence they gain from moving to university.

If you were to move to university, there will be plenty of events to meet new people, get to know people on your course/flatmates etc. I'm a fairly introverted person, but I found that everyone at university was super welcoming & many people were in the same situation as me and trying to make friends and get to know each other.

Equally, if you choose to stay at home and commute to university, you'll still find plenty of opportunities to make friends and get to know people. You'll still be at university in the day, be able to attend events on your course and hang out between lectures/seminars. I know a load of people that've commuted in and have as good of an experience as those that live at university.

Hope this helps, wanted to give you both perspectives! Best of luck at university

~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oceanblue11)
Hi, I hope you are well.

I am currently going into my third year of my degree and I made the decision to commute into university.

This is a decision that you need to make solely on personal choice. I chose to commute over staying in student accommodation because I knew that travelling would be cheaper, the commute is easy, and I wasn't quite ready to leave home. I was slightly worried that I would lose out on a social aspect of the university experience, but now I realise that I was worrying for nothing as I made friends really easily and still maintained a good social life. I too was not very confident or outgoing, but I have still made loads of really great friends. I realised that a lot more people than I thought from my course also commuted to campus, which added to the ease I feel with my decision.

I have friends that have stayed in student accommodation and have valued the experience as a way to live away from their parents and bond with new people. It is truly up to you, and how you want your experience of university to be.

I hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson Business School Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed