oceanblue11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello, so i’ve been thinking about university options and i’ve come to the conclusion that i’d most likely prefer to stay in london due to the city feel and sense of familiarity which i think i’d be uncomfortable leaving behind. i would love to go to ucl and stay in halls however the commute from where i live would only be under an hour therefore i’d be able to save a lot on living costs and accommodation. i would also be happy to commute however i am not super outgoing and confident so would this make it difficult to make friends/ have a good social life without moving in? what would be better, commuting or uni accommodation?
Wildean99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oceanblue11)
hello, so i’ve been thinking about university options and i’ve come to the conclusion that i’d most likely prefer to stay in london due to the city feel and sense of familiarity which i think i’d be uncomfortable leaving behind. i would love to go to ucl and stay in halls however the commute from where i live would only be under an hour therefore i’d be able to save a lot on living costs and accommodation. i would also be happy to commute however i am not super outgoing and confident so would this make it difficult to make friends/ have a good social life without moving in? what would be better, commuting or uni accommodation?
I think that when considering living situations at university, one of the things that makes the most difference is cost and affordability. London is the most expensive place to live in the UK, especially as a student and so I think you've really got to think about whether you can reasonably afford this. Many people do make it work and I have friends that made it work, some by working and some by limiting their costs and getting support from their family. This isn't necessarily always an option for everyone though, especially in the case of family support and it's also worth weighing up the benefit of working with the time that this takes away from your degree - although commuting will also take up some of your time as well, but at least you can work on university assignments at the same time. I've also got friends that commuted to university (not London) and I think in their case it was just about making the most of their opportunities. I think for everyone at university though, it's as much as you make it and so if you put loads in then you'll get loads back. Socially I think it can be easier with halls but then again the pressure and intensity of living together may not be always beneficial anyway. All of my friends from university that I've stayed in touch with are friends that I met rather than lived with so it's definitely possible to do. Best of luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll have a great time, whatever you decide!
oceanblue11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you so much! if staying in halls, would you say it is a good idea to get a job in summer beforehand in order to save up so that it’s easier to have some savings to cope with living expenses? i can imagine balancing a job with assignments and social life way be quite difficult. also wow! that gives me hope, i really do hope making friends isnt too much of a struggle as i still want to make sure i get the uni experience and can have fun thank you again
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you so much! if staying in halls, would you say it is a good idea to get a job in summer beforehand in order to save up so that it’s easier to have some savings to cope with living expenses? i can imagine balancing a job with assignments and social life way be quite difficult. also wow! that gives me hope, i really do hope making friends isnt too much of a struggle as i still want to make sure i get the uni experience and can have fun thank you again
Check with your uni whether they do a bursary for accommodation if your parents' income falls under a certain bracket - it can come in handy. York does this and honestly, it really does help!

I'm currently doing a Summer job myself, but that's mostly because I was bored at home with little to do. Definitely check whether your uni is offering a bursary for accommodation and if not, I wouldn't worry too much - you should be ok. If you do get into financial difficulties, your uni can definitely support you in that regard.

In terms of working while studying, I've not done that myself except partaking in a part-time job peer mentoring Freshers (one with my uni and one with a charity), but the hours were really flexible and manageable - I only got paid for the one with the charity, the former was more of a voluntary role. As for a proper (I shouldn't really use that term) part-time job, you should be able to find work in local shops near your uni and you can always enquire in store or look online - the general rule of thumb is that this should be 20 hours or less per week.
Wildean99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think its definitely worth getting a job if you can because it's always helpful to have the money, even if you end up not needing it, it's always good to have the reassurance of knowing that it's there. Plus, I can't see any harm in working over the summer, as long as you don't push yourself too hard and burn out. For me I was quite exhausted when I finished a levels and so wanted to have some time to recuperate before getting back to work. Also, whilst it is a challenge to balance all the different commitments, it's by no means impossible and it's something I did whilst at university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads