Think hard before going to Falmouth

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My daughter has just finished a Fine Arts degree. She says she just couldn't get the staff to notice her - she had very little support throughout her time there. Falmouth seems to want to take your money and then ignore you. She has spent nearly £28K in tuition fees - I don't think she got 1/10 of the value of that in tuition.

The pandemic added to the problems of course, but I see so many other organisations with a "can do" attitude to working around the new reality of the pandemic. Falmouth made no effort.

If you've already decided to go to Falmouth, good luck and just make sure you fight for what you are entitled to.

If you are considering Falmouth and have other options - I recommend you give Falmouth a miss. We feel as if we have been swindled.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My daughter has just finished a Fine Arts degree. She says she just couldn't get the staff to notice her - she had very little support throughout her time there. Falmouth seems to want to take your money and then ignore you. She has spent nearly £28K in tuition fees - I don't think she got 1/10 of the value of that in tuition.

The pandemic added to the problems of course, but I see so many other organisations with a "can do" attitude to working around the new reality of the pandemic. Falmouth made no effort.

If you've already decided to go to Falmouth, good luck and just make sure you fight for what you are entitled to.

If you are considering Falmouth and have other options - I recommend you give Falmouth a miss. We feel as if we have been swindled.
That's a real shame for your daughter. Think it has been mirrored at many many unis around the country though. My son has just finished at Exeter uni and had a similar experience years 2 & 3. When he had to ask his personal tutor to provide a reference she said she would struggle to give much detail as she barely knows him. But who's fault is that? She refused to meet him in person even after Easter when she would have been given the opportunity to get vaccinated, and they could have maintained a safe distance. All she was interested in was Teams meetings, and he had enough of them.
Last edited by harrysbar; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
That's a real shame for your daughter. Think it has been mirrored at many many unis around the country though. My son has just finished at Exeter uni and had a similar experience years 2 & 3. When he had to ask his personal tutor to provide a reference she said she would struggle to give much detail as she barely knows him. But who's fault is that? She refused to meet him in person even after Easter when she would have been given the opportunity to get vaccinated, and they could have maintained a safe distance. All she was interested in was Teams meetings, and he had enough of them.
Agreed. My daughter missed one online tutorial - her tutor saw her online every 3 weeks. She forgot about one tutorial and emailed him instantly to apologise and ask if they could reschedule. He refused. She didn't have a history of forgetting things - this was the first she had missed. Perhaps the lecturers are underpaid and overworked? If so, again, I struggle to know where the tuition fees went.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Agreed. My daughter missed one online tutorial - her tutor saw her online every 3 weeks. She forgot about one tutorial and emailed him instantly to apologise and ask if they could reschedule. He refused. She didn't have a history of forgetting things - this was the first she had missed. Perhaps the lecturers are underpaid and overworked? If so, again, I struggle to know where the tuition fees went.
That's extremely unhelpful of him. I have to say the staff at Exeter were all very pleasant and helpful - they just didn't seem to fully understand the impact all this online learning and lack of face to face contact had on many of their students. I get that they want to be safe at work (don't we all) but once they had the opportunity to get vaccinated they should have returned to normal imo - after all, school staff had to interact with their students even before they got vaccinated and as we know, youngsters can carry the virus even if they rarely get very sick themselves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads