The Student Room Group

Best unis for mental health nursing?

I want to do a mental health nursing degree, and I was thinking Bangor because I like Wales but thats not exactly a good reason is it, so if anyone does/has done or knows anything about mental health nursing degrees, what are the best universities for it?
Reply 1
Original post by thrivingfrog
I want to do a mental health nursing degree, and I was thinking Bangor because I like Wales but thats not exactly a good reason is it, so if anyone does/has done or knows anything about mental health nursing degrees, what are the best universities for it?

There is no "best" university for any type of nursing.
In the world of nursing, there's 3 things that matter:
1) have you passed an NMC accredited course, and where's proof of it? (yes, really, did you scrape 40% on the academic side)
2) is your application ok and have you interviewed well enough?
3) are you registered with the NMC?
You could have a 1st from one of the top ranked universities in the country, and be against someone with a 3rd from one of the lowest ranked, but if the person with a 3rd interviews better then they're more likely to get the job.
I'm a registered nurse, as are my husband and my brother-in-law. We've done various different nursing jobs between us at 6 different NHS trusts and nowhere has asked where we did our nursing degrees.

Things you ought to bear in mind when choosing a university for nursing include:
- are you staying local to where you live, or moving away? If moving away, you'll need to find accommodation with a year round lease as you will still be on placement/in lectures over the summer when all other students are on summer break.
- which hospitals/community services/private sector places does that university use for placements? Say, if I'd studied at Bangor, they wouldn't randomly have given me placements in Chester (where I live) because that's not on their placement circuit - it'd all be Betsi Cadwaladr health board because that's what they use for placements.
- funding. If you study in Wales, you can still get full bursary funding for a nursing degree... glitch is, you have to agree to work for NHS Wales for 2 years post qualifying, if you don't then you have to take out student finance.

Hi there @thrivingfrog, if you are thinking of coming to South Wales, why not have a chat to Lauren, who is a third year mental health nursing student at the University of South Wales. You can contact her here. https://www.southwales.ac.uk/chat-to-our-students/

USW has been voted top in Wales for teaching quality and student experience in nursing by the Good University Guide 2021. Details of the course are here https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-nursing-mental-health/ which includes some top tips on writing a personal statement for mental health nursing and interview advice (under application tips).

I hope this helps and good luck with your research. If I can help further, please do get in touch.

Rebecca
USW Official Rep
Original post by Emily_B
There is no "best" university for any type of nursing.
In the world of nursing, there's 3 things that matter:
1) have you passed an NMC accredited course, and where's proof of it? (yes, really, did you scrape 40% on the academic side)
2) is your application ok and have you interviewed well enough?
3) are you registered with the NMC?
You could have a 1st from one of the top ranked universities in the country, and be against someone with a 3rd from one of the lowest ranked, but if the person with a 3rd interviews better then they're more likely to get the job.
I'm a registered nurse, as are my husband and my brother-in-law. We've done various different nursing jobs between us at 6 different NHS trusts and nowhere has asked where we did our nursing degrees.

Things you ought to bear in mind when choosing a university for nursing include:
- are you staying local to where you live, or moving away? If moving away, you'll need to find accommodation with a year round lease as you will still be on placement/in lectures over the summer when all other students are on summer break.
- which hospitals/community services/private sector places does that university use for placements? Say, if I'd studied at Bangor, they wouldn't randomly have given me placements in Chester (where I live) because that's not on their placement circuit - it'd all be Betsi Cadwaladr health board because that's what they use for placements.
- funding. If you study in Wales, you can still get full bursary funding for a nursing degree... glitch is, you have to agree to work for NHS Wales for 2 years post qualifying, if you don't then you have to take out student finance.

I live in Greater Manchester, so no not very local at all, would student accommodation (halls etc) work? Or would I have to find a different way because I need a year round lease?
I plan on moving to Wales fully after uni, so that should be fine as in terms of funding but if I have to take out student finance its not that much of a problem (at least as far as I know)
Thankyou for your reply!
Thankyou, I'd actually only looked at Bangor, so I'll look at South Wales now. Are the majority of students Welsh? Just wondering because I'm English and I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb haha. Thanks for your reply, and I'll be sure to check it out akd get back to you if I need to :smile:
I live in Greater Manchester, so no not very local at all, would student accommodation (halls etc) work? Or would I have to find a different way because I need a year round lease?
I plan on moving to Wales fully after uni, so that should be fine as in terms of funding but if I have to take out student finance its not that much of a problem (at least as far as I know)
Thankyou for your reply!

Hi @thrivingfrog, student accommodation options are available for our student nurses. Some students may have the opportunity of living in the hospital. Have a chat to Lauren, and see where she lived. Accommodation is a short distance from where the simulation suite and the nursing facilities are. Our next online UG open day is on Saturday 11 September if you wanted to find out more about the course, facilities, accommodation, chat to lecturers and current students etc. Here is the link in case you wanted to book your place https://www.southwales.ac.uk/open-days/. I hope this is useful. PS you won't need to speak any Welsh to study in Wales!

Thanks

Rebecca
USW Official Rep

Hi there,

Choosing where to study is not easy but it's great to see that you're doing your research and that you're considering Bangor University.
Mental Health Nursing at Bangor is a fantastic course, here are a few reasons why:
- Top 10 for Careers (Guardian Good University Guide 2021).
- Top 15 for Nursing and Midwifery (2nd in Wales) (Times Good University Guide 2021).
- Top 10 for Research Quality (Complete University Guide 2021).
- NHS funding currently available to cover fees and a contribution to living costs.
- Bangor and Wrexham campuses can offer flexibility in where you study, and clinical placements are available across north Wales.

Keep in mind that you want to be happy at university and location has a lot to do with that! Bangor and the area is beautiful and it really is a great place to study. If you want to speak to some current students you can do so on our Unibuddy platform. We also have some Open Days coming up in the Autumn which you can register for here.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else at all :smile:
Anna
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi there,

Choosing where to study is not easy but it's great to see that you're doing your research and that you're considering Bangor University.
Mental Health Nursing at Bangor is a fantastic course, here are a few reasons why:
- Top 10 for Careers (Guardian Good University Guide 2021).
- Top 15 for Nursing and Midwifery (2nd in Wales) (Times Good University Guide 2021).
- Top 10 for Research Quality (Complete University Guide 2021).
- NHS funding currently available to cover fees and a contribution to living costs.
- Bangor and Wrexham campuses can offer flexibility in where you study, and clinical placements are available across north Wales.

Keep in mind that you want to be happy at university and location has a lot to do with that! Bangor and the area is beautiful and it really is a great place to study. If you want to speak to some current students you can do so on our Unibuddy platform. We also have some Open Days coming up in the Autumn which you can register for here.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else at all :smile:
Anna

Thank you so much! Would I still be able to get NHS funding if I'm living in England when I apply? I am staying in Wales after uni, so I can work there for 2 years after but just wondering if I can still get funding as I currently live in England and will when I apply. Also, would I be able to stay in halls if I have to do placement in summer, or should I look for different accommodation?
Thank you so much! Would I still be able to get NHS funding if I'm living in England when I apply? I am staying in Wales after uni, so I can work there for 2 years after but just wondering if I can still get funding as I currently live in England and will when I apply. Also, would I be able to stay in halls if I have to do placement in summer, or should I look for different accommodation?

Hi @thrivingfrog, the NHS funding is available to all students who study at a Welsh university, regardless of where they live, so if you were accepted by a Welsh university, you would eligible for the funding. Here are more details of the Welsh NHS nursing funding here https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/student-awards-services/. You can apply for the funding once your place has been confirmed at the university. I am sure you would be able to stay in halls over the summer, this would be something to check with the accommodation staff at the university you decide to study at. I hope this answers your questions. Have a great weekend. Rebecca

Yes you will be able to get NHS funding - you can find more information on funding the course here. There's a really useful video on that webpage explaining exactly how NSH funding works.
Yes you can also live in halls for the duration of the course. We have specific halls for Nursing and Midwifery students where the contract is the same length as the course, there's more information on the Borth Halls here. There's also a video of the Nursing and Midwifery halls available for you to view.

I hope this answers a few things for you, if you have any other questions at all just let me know :smile:
Anna

Quick Reply