The Student Room Group

Cambridge aptitude tests

I'm going to apply to natural sciences at trinity college, and need to do the aptitude tests.

The thing is though, I'm planning on doing my A levels in one year (haven't started yet), so I'm assuming these tests are designed for second year A level students. Should I contact the admissions office about this?
You will probably need to realistically aim to apply in a gap year then (or plan to take the A-levels in the usual 2 year timeframe). I doubt given the timeline for them you will have covered the necessary material to do well in the NSAA and they aren't going to realistically make an exception I think...
Original post by Nighthawk01
I'm going to apply to natural sciences at trinity college, and need to do the aptitude tests.

The thing is though, I'm planning on doing my A levels in one year (haven't started yet), so I'm assuming these tests are designed for second year A level students. Should I contact the admissions office about this?

Was there a particular reason for doing three or four A levels in one year rather than two?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You will probably need to realistically aim to apply in a gap year then (or plan to take the A-levels in the usual 2 year timeframe). I doubt given the timeline for them you will have covered the necessary material to do well in the NSAA and they aren't going to realistically make an exception I think...

I'm 20 and so don't think it would be practical to wait another year just for one university. My circumstances will be made clear in either my personal statement or my reference, so do you think it's worth applying and taking my chances?

I agree with the above comments, but you absolutely should get in touch with Trinity and explain your situation. We can give you advice, but we can't guarantee that they will respond one way or another. Best confirm with them directly.

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Was there a particular reason for doing three or four A levels in one year rather than two?

I'm 20 years old, and don't want to waste any more time. I did 5 GCSEs in a year (this year) and am expected to get 8s and 9s in the sciences. And that was with putting in the bare minimum effort. I understand that 3 A levels content wise are equivalent to about 9 GCSEs, but now that I have an idea of what I want to do, I have the motivation to spend hours a day doing nothing but studying, whereas with my GCSEs it was just about 'getting my life back on track' in a general sense.
Reply 6
Original post by The Malevolent
I agree with the above comments, but you absolutely should get in touch with Trinity and explain your situation. We can give you advice, but we can't guarantee that they will respond one way or another. Best confirm with them directly.

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you very much. I believe I'm capable which is why I want to give it a go, but it's important to recognise that my circumstances are unique.

I've tried phoning the admissions office but the phone lines are closed due to staff working at home 🙄 I might turn up at the university and see if I can talk to someone in person.
Thank you very much. I believe I'm capable which is why I want to give it a go, but it's important to recognise that my circumstances are unique.

I've tried phoning the admissions office but the phone lines are closed due to staff working at home 🙄 I might turn up at the university and see if I can talk to someone in person.

If the phones are closed because people are working from home, chances are there won't be anyone to speak to if you turn up at the college...
Reply 8
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
If the phones are closed because people are working from home, chances are there won't be anyone to speak to if you turn up at the college...

Thank you for responding, I'll have to send an email to the admissions centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending