The Student Room Group

Histopathology ST1 Application for 2022

Scroll to see replies

Apparently you can tell if you’re appointable already by login on to oriel and seeing if it’s updated your status from interview booked to interview complete or interview unsuccessful.
Original post by naomi79993374
Apparently you can tell if you’re appointable already by login on to oriel and seeing if it’s updated your status from interview booked to interview complete or interview unsuccessful.

:eek: :eek:

Hang on..... ahhh interview complete 🙃
Original post by jennysimps
:eek: :eek:

Hang on..... ahhh interview complete 🙃

Phew 😅
Original post by Anonymous
Phew 😅

Oh boy you guys gave me a mini heart attack. Anxiously waiting for results too.
Do they tell us our ranks same time as offers?
I got an email today saying unsuccessful. Perhaps they've sent out all the rejections already?
Original post by FATchristopher
I got an email today saying unsuccessful. Perhaps they've sent out all the rejections already?

Oh no! Im so sorry about that. That must be so stressful for you. Did they give any other explanation as to why you were deemed unsuccessful?
Original post by FATchristopher

sorry to hear that. Good luck for whatever you do next
Original post by Jauntywrecker
Oh no! Im so sorry about that. That must be so stressful for you. Did they give any other explanation as to why you were deemed unsuccessful?

There was just some generic stuff about high competition rates ect. but basically said I didn't meet the minimum score at interview which they said was 106/152.
Oh im so sorry. Wish you the best in your next steps. I know it can be quite disheartening to get such an email if thats what had really set your mind to do.
HI everyone. I am a consultant in the South west- exeter.
Firstly it is so fabulous that so many of you want to be histopathologists. Its a really good speciality and we really care and nurture our trainees. Most rotations are the same TBH. The main this is to go somewhere where you would like to live and your rotation will look after you and train you.
Nearly all our trainees choose to stay in the South west and stay and get their consultant jobs here- its like a big family. You rotate throughout the region and get to know everyone. You are always supported and encouraged.

I really would not worry too much about which is the best programme. Just choose a place you will be happy living in.
If you think you might want to go somewhere ring up the department and ask to speak to one of the educational supervisors about the department and regional rotations or speak to the regs.
Everyone in path will be blown away to have someone show interest.

Good luck everyone with your applications- do consider coming to the lovely South west!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Offers are out guys!
Good luck!!
Got my first choice of Wolves - any one else in WM?
Got my first choice of Wolves - any one else in WM?

Sorry didn’t realise I have anonymous posting turned on 😊

I got Wolves 🎉 anyone else in the West Midlands?
Anyone starting in Mersey?
Well done guys!
Mine wasnt matched. And I dont even know my rank and cant even get my hopes up😭
How are we meant to think about changing preferences when they haven't told us our ranking?
When will they release the ranks? Does anyone know?
Original post by Pumpkaboo
Anyone starting in Mersey?

I got North West - Cheshire and Merseyside as well ✌️
When will they release the ranks? Does anyone know?

Not sure mate
Hi everyone

I'm currently a ST1 trainee. Just want to send a message to say a well done to you all for going through the application process. I can really relate to how you're all feeling throughout the last couple of months. It's definitely a tricky journey and whether you've been successful, or yet to be, do give yourself a good cheer on getting through.

For those you of you yet to be matched, hopefully you'll find out your ranking soon, and fingers crossed some of you will get matched. Offers are still being recycled, remember!

For those of you who are unsuccessful, don't give up! You've got the invaluable experience of this year under your belt and this is going to be a massive advantage for next year. There's a good handful of applicants each year, who were unsuccessful, lowly ranked one year, then get one of the top ranks in the next! Some really helpful tips and experiences are shared in last year's thread, hope you'll ind it helpful.

For those of you with a match - congratulations! Be it your first choice or not, you'll meet some incredible people and will have a great journey ahead, and hopefully you'll end up loving where you are. If for practical reasons you've to transfer, we're lucky as a specialty with sympathetic inter-deanery transfer outcomes.
I remember at this point last year, I was quite clueless with what to expect next, when to respond to emails/forms. So just a brief note/outline of the next few steps/things to consider, if it helps anyone:
1) You'll hear from your deanery with forms and next steps - this might come very soon, or much later in the year (if the latter, fear not!). They'll send through a few sets of forms - get organised for them (it's chunky!)
2) Ideally your referees on oriel should've submitted their references. But don't worry if not all have submitted within the designated window (it's usually unpractically short!)
3) Around August time, look into getting your NTN, so that you can start applying for membership with RCPath, other path societies.
4) Enjoy your Summer - plan something nice if you can before starting and make sure you've a good rest from the clinical work. No need to make head starts with learning path before starting - you'll be doing so much learning the next 5 years, that the extra few months beforehand will barely make any differences (and it might be out of context/unhelpful too).
5) If you're considering locuming in clinical work alongside path training - you can! And it could be a huge help to your colleagues too (or some extra cash), so please consider.
6) Got a house yet? If not, consider investing in a house in a practical situation. Histopath training generally allows you to stay at a place for 1 year (or more), why not!

Finally, if you've any questions, please share, I'll try my best to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending