The Student Room Group

Eligibility for Maintenance Loan Without ILR?

Hello,

I appreciate that I'm a little late to the party on applying, but I have a question about my eligibility for a maintenance loan for the 2021-22 academic year and would appreciate any help you can offer!

I am studying a PGCE with QTS starting on 1 September.

Thanks in advance,
TGNH

About My Situation:

- I'm an Australian Citizen and have lived in the UK continuously since 2014 (7+ years).

- I'm currently on a spousal visa and this visa status means that I do not have NRPF / Do not have Leave to Remain.

- In March this yeat, I applied to the Home Office for Indefinite Leave to Remain / Settled Status and I am currently waiting for their decision. This was 5 months ago, I should hear back from them by mid-September and on hearing back, I should receive Settled Status here in the UK.

- Until I hear back from the Home Office, my previous spousal visa status continues as before.

- My wife is a UK citizen and we have both resided in the UK at the same address continually for the last 3 years.

- I have received a full scholarship for my course fees, but I want to apply for a maintenance loan.

///

My Questions:

- Because I have lived in the UK for 3 years contunuously and my spouse is a UK citizen, I undertsand that I am eligible for home fees... Is this correct?

- Under my current status am I eligible for a maintenance loan? Government and Student Loans Company guidance on this was unclear or conflicting.

- If I apply late, will the amount I receive be pro-rata'd to a portion of the year, or will I still receive the full amount I am eligible for?

- As it stands, because of my visa status, the student loans company is telling me that I have to complete a paper form, and physically post in both my wife's passport and my passport - am I better just to wait until my settled status is approved - anticipated mid-September - and apply online?

Original post by ThisGuyNeedsHelp
Hello,

I appreciate that I'm a little late to the party on applying, but I have a question about my eligibility for a maintenance loan for the 2021-22 academic year and would appreciate any help you can offer!

I am studying a PGCE with QTS starting on 1 September.

Thanks in advance,
TGNH

About My Situation:

- I'm an Australian Citizen and have lived in the UK continuously since 2014 (7+ years).

- I'm currently on a spousal visa and this visa status means that I do not have NRPF / Do not have Leave to Remain.

- In March this yeat, I applied to the Home Office for Indefinite Leave to Remain / Settled Status and I am currently waiting for their decision. This was 5 months ago, I should hear back from them by mid-September and on hearing back, I should receive Settled Status here in the UK.

- Until I hear back from the Home Office, my previous spousal visa status continues as before.

- My wife is a UK citizen and we have both resided in the UK at the same address continually for the last 3 years.

- I have received a full scholarship for my course fees, but I want to apply for a maintenance loan.

///

My Questions:

- Because I have lived in the UK for 3 years contunuously and my spouse is a UK citizen, I undertsand that I am eligible for home fees... Is this correct?

- Under my current status am I eligible for a maintenance loan? Government and Student Loans Company guidance on this was unclear or conflicting.

- If I apply late, will the amount I receive be pro-rata'd to a portion of the year, or will I still receive the full amount I am eligible for?

- As it stands, because of my visa status, the student loans company is telling me that I have to complete a paper form, and physically post in both my wife's passport and my passport - am I better just to wait until my settled status is approved - anticipated mid-September - and apply online?

Hi, our guidance states:

SFE Home Student funding will be available to non-UK national family members of UK nationals from AY 2021/22. The following criteria must be met;

-The UK national and the family member must have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland on/before 31st December 2020
-The UK national and the family member must have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland for 3 years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course
-If the student and the UK national were not living in the EEA/Switzerland on 31st December 2020, and had returned to the UK by that date, they must have returned to the UK from the EEA/Switzerland on or after 1st January 2018 (e.g. if they returned from France in May 2017, they would not be eligible under this category)

A non-UK national family member of a UK national may be eligible for tuition fee support only (EU funding) if they do not meet the requirements above. For EU funding they must have been living in the UK and Islands for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

If you meet this criteria then I'd expect you to be eligible for finance.

Thanks, Isaac
Thank you Isaac. I just wanted to confirm - do I need to meet one of those criteria, or all 3?

We meet this criteria:

-The UK national and the family member must have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland for 3 years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course

But do not meet the other 2, as we have never lived in the EEA or Switzerland.

I have also asked your colleagues on facebook messanger and have received conflicting advice from yours? They are saying that I will need to have secured settled status before the start of the academic year in order to qualify? This doesn't seem correct - could you please clarify.

Thanks.
Original post by ThisGuyNeedsHelp
Thank you Isaac. I just wanted to confirm - do I need to meet one of those criteria, or all 3?

We meet this criteria:

But do not meet the other 2, as we have never lived in the EEA or Switzerland.

I have also asked your colleagues on facebook messanger and have received conflicting advice from yours? They are saying that I will need to have secured settled status before the start of the academic year in order to qualify? This doesn't seem correct - could you please clarify.

Thanks.

You stated you have been living in the UK since 2014 so I think you would mean those points as the UK was in the EEA. I advise you to apply and our residency team will review.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending