AmithNandakumar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Apart from my CS A Level NEA should I start an extra project to put in my personal statement when applying to the top universities?
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah you should
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AmithNandakumar)
Apart from my CS A Level NEA should I start an extra project to put in my personal statement when applying to the top universities?
Hey Amith,

I'm currently studying Computer Science, finishing up my placement (sandwich) year in industry before heading back to university in October for my final year.

Doing extra/personal projects are a great way to boost your application, since it shows your own interests, your independent thinking and a bit of your own character. It's also a fab opportunity for you to learn new skills or mess around with new technology, potentially leading to great networking opportunities with others - consider contributing to open source projects or starting your own.

They're also great for your future career aspirations. A strong GitHub profile of past work will put you in high regards amongst future employers, even if there's a load of unfinished projects on there (which is most people's GitHub profile, mine included).

Good luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
AmithNandakumar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Amith,

I'm currently studying Computer Science, finishing up my placement (sandwich) year in industry before heading back to university in October for my final year.

Doing extra/personal projects are a great way to boost your application, since it shows your own interests, your independent thinking and a bit of your own character. It's also a fab opportunity for you to learn new skills or mess around with new technology, potentially leading to great networking opportunities with others - consider contributing to open source projects or starting your own.

They're also great for your future career aspirations. A strong GitHub profile of past work will put you in high regards amongst future employers, even if there's a load of unfinished projects on there (which is most people's GitHub profile, mine included).

Good luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep
Thank You, I have similar projects already, do they have to be public, or do I have to provide images and proof or do I just have to state I have worked on a project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads