The Student Room Group

I need genuine advice on applying to University.

I’m predicted A*A*A (A*’s in Biology and Geography and the A in Chemistry)

I want to apply to oxbridge however the course I want to do I cannot apply too. I wanted to study Chemistry however that requires me to take Maths at A-level. I had decided to apply to Oxford for Biochemistry (as I really enjoy it in Biology) but in all honesty I have absolutely nothing to write on my personal statement about Biochemistry… I had wanted to do Medicine for years and most of my PS was tailored towards Medicine, I have found ways around it but most of what i have to write about is linked to Chemistry. Should I apply for Biochem at Oxford and try and find something to write on my PS or should I just apply for Chemistry elsewhere, my other choices are St. andrews, UCL, Bristol, Liverpool and Notts.
Apply for the course you want at the university you want - don’t feel the need to apply for Oxbridge just because it’s Oxbridge, equally, if you want to then go ahead if you don’t try you’ll never get in
Reply 2
Original post by lemonadetea
Apply for the course you want at the university you want - don’t feel the need to apply for Oxbridge just because it’s Oxbridge, equally, if you want to then go ahead if you don’t try you’ll never get in

I want to go to Oxbridge but I cant 100% say Biochemistry is the subject I want to do, I would prefer to do Chemistry but I can’t apply to either without maths :/
Apply elsewhere and do a course you actually love. Pouring ~40hrs a week for several years into a subject you're not passionate about is not a good idea. You may end up bored of the material, find it difficult to focus, and it could negatively impact your mental health.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hss_2004
I’m predicted A*A*A (A*’s in Biology and Geography and the A in Chemistry)

I want to apply to oxbridge however the course I want to do I cannot apply too. I wanted to study Chemistry however that requires me to take Maths at A-level. I had decided to apply to Oxford for Biochemistry (as I really enjoy it in Biology) but in all honesty I have absolutely nothing to write on my personal statement about Biochemistry… I had wanted to do Medicine for years and most of my PS was tailored towards Medicine, I have found ways around it but most of what i have to write about is linked to Chemistry. Should I apply for Biochem at Oxford and try and find something to write on my PS or should I just apply for Chemistry elsewhere, my other choices are St. andrews, UCL, Bristol, Liverpool and Notts.

I would note that without A-level Maths you would probably be a less competitive applicant for biochemistry at Oxford as well, since I gather it's quite a mathematical course. Perhaps look into taking a gap year and taking A-level Maths (and perhaps AS or A-level Further Maths too)?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
I would note that without A-level Maths you would probably be a less competitive applicant for biochemistry at Oxford as well, since I gather it's quite a mathematical course. Perhaps look into taking a gap year and taking A-level Maths (and perhaps AS or A-level Further Maths too)?

That was exactly what I had thought of doing as well. it even said on the website saying maths isn't an entry requirement but it certainly makes you more of a competitive applicant. My GCSEs aren't the strongest for Oxford either (999888776), I was thinking of doing med previously so GCSEs weren't the biggest of worries and most universities would've looked for a strong UCAT/BMAT (although some do still shortlist depending on GCSE results) I can't say I have done a whole lot for biochemistry to talk about it in my personal statement as oppose to chemistry too
Reply 6
Original post by sinfonietta
Apply elsewhere and do a course you actually love. Pouring ~40hrs a week for several years into a subject you're not passionate about is not a good idea. You may end up bored of the material, find it difficult to focus, and it could negatively impact your mental health.

very very true, thank you for your advice
Original post by hss_2004
That was exactly what I had thought of doing as well. it even said on the website saying maths isn't an entry requirement but it certainly makes you more of a competitive applicant. My GCSEs aren't the strongest for Oxford either (999888776), I was thinking of doing med previously so GCSEs weren't the biggest of worries and most universities would've looked for a strong UCAT/BMAT (although some do still shortlist depending on GCSE results) I can't say I have done a whole lot for biochemistry to talk about it in my personal statement as oppose to chemistry too

If you’re concerned about the strength of your GCSEs, Cambridge would be a safer bet than Oxford
Reply 8
Original post by lemonadetea
If you’re concerned about the strength of your GCSEs, Cambridge would be a safer bet than Oxford

Unfortunately Cambridge doesn’t offer Chemistry or Biochemistry. If I wanted to pursue them, I would have to apply for Natural Sciences which 1) majority of colleges require Maths (which I do not have as an A-level) 2) For the very very few colleges I can apply too I must obviously take an entrance exam which is incredibly maths heavy and I cannot revise everything I need to know for that exam by October :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending