SOAS Korean and Japanese gone??

Watch this thread
niamhsrevision
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey guys, idk if I'm just an inept searcher when it comes to university course, but I can't seem to find the option of studying BA Japanese and Korean for 2022 entry at SOAS, but I'm sure I've seen it listed in the past. Does anyone know if the course has been discontinued or does it still exist, and will it be available for 2022 entry?
Thankuuuu
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
umbrellala is probably best placed to advise!

However, my understanding was they didn't offer "Japanese and Korean" before, they offered "Japanese and Korean Studies" (and the reverse, Korean with Japanese Studies), where the "studies" side of the course could include language study but did not require it and also there was more limited opportunity to pursue it due to the structure of the main language side of the course.

Last year SOAS removed the Korean/Japanese/Chinese Studies degrees (and their various joint honours versions) and replaced them with a single degree, the East Asian Studies degree. Note the EAS course does not include a year abroad.

I think Oxford regularly allows students studying Japanese in their Oriental Studies course to take Korean as a subsidiary language, and Cambridge sometimes offers a paper in Korean for people studying Japanese on their Asian & Middle Eastern Studies degree. Not sure where else you could combine them (UCLan maybe?).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 9 months ago
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by niamhsrevision)
Hey guys, idk if I'm just an inept searcher when it comes to university course, but I can't seem to find the option of studying BA Japanese and Korean for 2022 entry at SOAS, but I'm sure I've seen it listed in the past. Does anyone know if the course has been discontinued or does it still exist, and will it be available for 2022 entry?
Thankuuuu
Hiya! Thanks for the tag artful_lounger, you're absolutely right about the way the Japanese & Korean Studies structure has changed. The renewed East Asian Studies course is not that different from what the Japanese & Korean Studies course used to be, and it still allows you to pursue both languages. As before, it lends itself to having one 'focal' language which you are then able to go on your year abroad for, and then adding a second language in year 2 at a slightly less intense level. You can see the full course structure here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
18.87%
The paper was reasonable (160)
37.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.59%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
15.8%

Watched Threads