The Student Room Group

ELQ Exempt 2nd Bachelors

Hey all

I'm thinking of doing a second bachelors, probably for 2022 entry as it's a bit too quick to sort it all out by September. I found out about the ELQ exempt courses, some at Birkbeck and others at OU, and there's a few i'm interested in.

Basically I need some clarification on the second loan:

Is it purely just a tuition fee loan? - No maintenance loan?

I have a 3yr degree already. Is the second loan for another full 3yr bachelors? Or is it just the "gift year" that I never took from my first entitlement?

Thanks
Original post by commodoro
Hey all

I'm thinking of doing a second bachelors, probably for 2022 entry as it's a bit too quick to sort it all out by September. I found out about the ELQ exempt courses, some at Birkbeck and others at OU, and there's a few i'm interested in.

Basically I need some clarification on the second loan:

Is it purely just a tuition fee loan? - No maintenance loan?

I have a 3yr degree already. Is the second loan for another full 3yr bachelors? Or is it just the "gift year" that I never took from my first entitlement?

Thanks

Hi there,

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
thanks! that's good to hear maintenance loans are available.

one extra question, what about foundation years, I assume they aren't covered?

If so, would you apply as normal at the end of this foundation year to get the funding in-time for the start of the (second, in my case) bachelors?
thanks! that's good to hear maintenance loans are available.

one extra question, what about foundation years, I assume they aren't covered?

If so, would you apply as normal at the end of this foundation year to get the funding in-time for the start of the (second, in my case) bachelors?

Is the foundation year integrated or a separate course?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
there's a "4 year part time BSc Mathematics", and a "6 year part time BSc Mathematics with Foundation Year" listed separately on their website (Birkbeck).
there's a "4 year part time BSc Mathematics", and a "6 year part time BSc Mathematics with Foundation Year" listed separately on their website (Birkbeck).

You can receive up to 16 years of part time funding so you will be able to apply for either.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending