Am I old for university?

Watch this thread
username5811912
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Here's a question ok. So am I old in regards to uni? I'm doing my undergraduate degree and I'll be 23 and won't finish till I'm 26 and thinking about doing a PGCE when I'm 27/28.

I haven't really held down a permanent job, so you can't really say I'm returning to studying from work. But you can't say I took a gap year because I was supposed to go down 2 years ago originally but due to health and covid I postponed till this September.

Just wondering what others regard as to old for university.

PS I'm sort of older than my actual age. I listen to 60s/70s/80s music and I am more of an older mental capacity.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
I'm 36 and doing a 2nd degree, 23 in my eyes is barely scratching adulthood. You will be fine, some of my friends were like mid 40's.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Not at all too old. No one is ever too old to improve themselves.
Not too long ago we had a lovely lady here. Seamus. She was popular and had a great deal to offer, completing her degree in her 70s
username5811912
Rep:
(Original post by random_matt)
I'm 36 and doing a 2nd degree, 23 in my eyes is barely scratching adulthood. You will be fine, some of my friends were like mid 40's.
Ah right thanks haha. I mean I get what you are saying but you did your first degree when you were younger though. So you have had a stable job before returning to education.
username5811912
Rep:
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Not at all too old. No one is ever too old to improve themselves.
Not too long ago we had a lovely lady here. Seamus. She was popular and had a great deal to offer, completing her degree in her 70s
Thanks. I guess you never are too old to study haha. No but you see she would have had like a stable job/jobs and a career before coming back to study. I haven't really had that. So
random_matt
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Kentinho99)
Ah right thanks haha. I mean I get what you are saying but you did your first degree when you were younger though. So you have had a stable job before returning to education.
Nope, did drugs and alcohol until I was 26, stopped and went back to college. Actually started university when I was 27, never finished because of mental illness. Finished the first one this year.
username5811912
Rep:
Nope, did drugs and alcohol until I was 26, stopped and went back to college. Actually started university when I was 27, never finished because of mental illness. Finished the first one this year.
Ah right. It's great you have changed your life around. Huge credit to you. What are you studying?
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thanks. I guess you never are too old to study haha. No but you see she would have had like a stable job/jobs and a career before coming back to study. I haven't really had that. So
It doesn’t matter. Why do you think that you would have needed to have a steady job before returning?
you’ve clearly got a plan in place and there’s nothing stopping you so go for it.
random_matt
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Ah right. It's great you have changed your life around. Huge credit to you. What are you studying?
Finished Psychology, have an offer at KCL currently. Although, seeing if Durham appear in clearing, I'll may even just work for a year and come back to it.
username5811912
Rep:
It doesn’t matter. Why do you think that you would have needed to have a steady job before returning?
you’ve clearly got a plan in place and there’s nothing stopping you so go for it.
That's very true. No it's just pressure from my family mainly my dad. I mean he pressured me. So did my mum in a way. I have tried for work for ages. But thry don't want anyone unless they are in with the 'right crowd' so I am going to university as I am good academically. Plus I want a good future.
username5811912
Rep:
Finished Psychology, have an offer at KCL currently. Although, seeing if Durham appear in clearing, I'll may even just work for a year and come back to it.
Wow psychology. Good grief that's incredible. I wouldn't know where to begin with that haha. No congrats on your degree and an offer from kcl wow that's mind blowing haha. Cheers for this. Its really reassuring.
random_matt
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Wow psychology. Good grief that's incredible. I wouldn't know where to begin with that haha. No congrats on your degree and an offer from kcl wow that's mind blowing haha. Cheers for this. Its really reassuring.
Not really, it is not particularly vocational, in hindsight was a bad choice. My advise would be not to merely study something on a basis of enjoyment, should be weighed up collectively with chance of employment etc.

Spoke to UCL this morning about biosocial medical anthropology, so may take something either in anthropology or probably a global health direction. We shall see, but good luck on whatever you choose.
Last edited by random_matt; 10 months ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
That's very true. No it's just pressure from my family mainly my dad. I mean he pressured me. So did my mum in a way. I have tried for work for ages. But thry don't want anyone unless they are in with the 'right crowd' so I am going to university as I am good academically. Plus I want a good future
What’s important is that you have a proper plan in place to make your future right for you.
this is YOUR future.
im a mum so I understand parents wanting the best but if they are pressuring you into something you don’t want, that is counterproductive.
jobs are difficult to find right now. It takes time and perseverance.
if you have genuinely tried your best then you can’t do more than that.
don’t sit around doing nothing though whilst you search.
there are thousands of volunteering opportunities that can help with your applications and prospects.

if you write down your plans and how you aim to achieve them and then talk to your parents about it then you may find they become more supportive of you.
they may be worried that your future is not looking productive.
if you are happy with your plan and they are not then you may need to accept that you don’t share the same goals but go for it anyway.
it’s good to try to make them happy and proud but not at your own expense
username5042702
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Here's a question ok. So am I old in regards to uni? I'm doing my undergraduate degree and I'll be 23 and won't finish till I'm 26 and thinking about doing a PGCE when I'm 27/28.

I haven't really held down a permanent job, so you can't really say I'm returning to studying from work. But you can't say I took a gap year because I was supposed to go down 2 years ago originally but due to health and covid I postponed till this September.

PS I'm sort of older than my actual age. I listen to 60s/70s/80s music and I am more of an older mental capacity.
im only 17, so probably not the best source of info, but in my opinion, its never too old or too late to continue higher education. my maths teacher finished his learning at 29
username5811912
Rep:
Not really, it is not particularly vocational, in hindsight was a bad choice. My advise would be not to merely study something on a basis of enjoyment, should be weighed up collectively with chance of employment etc.

Spoke to UCL this morning about biosocial medical anthropology, so may take something either in anthropology or probably a global health direction. We shall see, but good luck on whatever you choose.
Yeah I get what you mean like I'm doing a sports coaching degree. But there's no guarantee of gaining employment in the sports sector after. That's why I'm considering doing my PGCE primary afterwards. Degrees are great like you say its just gaining employment after which can be an issue. Thanks anyway. Good luck with your studies or your work whatever you choose to do. 🙂
username5811912
Rep:
(Original post by Code: Acxd)
im only 17, so probably not the best source of info, but in my opinion, its never too old or too late to continue higher education. my maths teacher finished his learning at 29
Ah right thanks I mean yeah you are right. I guess it's cos I'm of an older mental capacity I just reflect on life a bit too much and I don't enjoy my youth as much as I should haha
HalloErde
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

You are not too old !!!! Go do that course and get that bag, its never too late to get back into school and go down a career path you want. Just think about it (lets assume your course is 3 years long) you will be approx 30 years old - this is older than when most people choose/ enter their career but when comparing it to how many decades ahead you have to work a job you are interested - it really becomes nothing.
username5811912
Rep:
What’s important is that you have a proper plan in place to make your future right for you.
this is YOUR future.
im a mum so I understand parents wanting the best but if they are pressuring you into something you don’t want, that is counterproductive.
jobs are difficult to find right now. It takes time and perseverance.
if you have genuinely tried your best then you can’t do more than that.
don’t sit around doing nothing though whilst you search.
there are thousands of volunteering opportunities that can help with your applications and prospects.

if you write down your plans and how you aim to achieve them and then talk to your parents about it then you may find they become more supportive of you.
they may be worried that your future is not looking productive.
if you are happy with your plan and they are not then you may need to accept that you don’t share the same goals but go for it anyway.
it’s good to try to make them happy and proud but not at your own expense
Yeah you are totally right. Thank you. My dad doesn't want the best for me. So I am persuing my career against his wishes. My mum is fully supportive though. Thank you so much. Also I am doing voluntary work right now. Which will help me ready for September. 🙂
username5811912
Rep:
(Original post by HalloErde)
You are not too old !!!! Go do that course and get that bag, its never too late to get back into school and go down a career path you want. Just think about it (lets assume your course is 3 years long) you will be approx 30 years old - this is older than when most people choose/ enter their career but when comparing it to how many decades ahead you have to work a job you are interested - it really becomes nothing.
Yeah you are right
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Yeah you are totally right. Thank you. My dad doesn't want the best for me. So I am persuing my career against his wishes. My mum is fully supportive though. Thank you so much. Also I am doing voluntary work right now. Which will help me ready for September. 🙂
Keep working hard and you’ll get there. Best wishes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (8)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (13)
54.17%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (3)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads