The Student Room Group

Are mandatory covid vaccinations justified?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermature
Austria "suspends" mandatory Covid vaccination law

In several posts within this thread, and other threads on the same topic, I have argued that politicians in western democracies would eventually come to realise that it was a gross error of judgement to attempt to impose mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations on their populations. When the Biden vaccine mandate collapsed in the US and the UK Government U-turned on the NHS and care worker mandate in England, I pointed out that Austria would provide the crucial test for the survival of this foolish and egregious policy.

Today, just a month after it took effect, and days before it was due to be implemented in full, the mandate has been dropped. Thankfully, therefore, nobody has been penalised. All the indications were that literally a million Austrians would continue to refuse to be vaccinated against their wishes, despite the threat of fines of up to €3,600 every three months.

As I write, this development has not yet been reported in any of the sources permitted in this thread but I shall add an appropriate link when it is.

As far as I am concerned, this debate is now over and the argument against Covid vaccine mandates has clearly prevailed.

Link added:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60681288

Indeed!!

The case of mandatory vaccinations has collapsed as it seems. This was and still is one of the most absurd and anti-scientific campaigns in my view if not the most absurd and anti-scientific campaign in history.

There were users here who were cheering when it was announced that either the healthcare and social workers get jabbed or loose their jobs. Obviously they lost the debate.

However it's impossible to support claims and arguments that lack basic knowledge of scientific and public health matters or debate in areas where you need academic knowledge. That was my position from the beginning of this debate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1401
Evushield drug
Clinical trial found it cut risk of symptomatic Covid by 77% for up to six months
Original post by Lucifer323
The case of mandatory vaccinations has collapsed as it seems. This was and still is one of the most absurd and anti-scientific campaigns in my view if not the most absurd and anti-scientific campaign in history.

There were users here who were cheering when it was announced that either the healthcare and social workers get jabbed or loose their jobs. Obviously they lost the debate.

However it's impossible to support claims and arguments that lack basic knowledge of scientific and public health matters or debate in areas where you need academic knowledge. That was my position from the beginning of this debate.

Of course mandatory vaccinations as an idea collapsed. There was never any teeth behind them. It was just a very effective way to get people who needed vaccinating vaccinated. It was the right thing to do in my opinion and helped us get through something that could have been much worse.

Things have changed. Things have moved on. Did you hear about that war in Ukraine? Similar tactics being used by the Ukrainian President who asked Nato to implement a no-fly zone which he knew they couldn't do. Now he is blaming NATO which has meant Russia has softened to the Ukraine. It is all subtle psychological messaging which I would highly recommend you read up on. It is very interesting.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Of course mandatory vaccinations as an idea collapsed. There was never any teeth behind them. It was just a very effective way to get people who needed vaccinating vaccinated. It was the right thing to do in my opinion and helped us get through something that could have been much worse.

It was utterly despicable to strong-arm people into getting vaccinated and has imo done untold damage to the reputation of the medical industry that will have far reaching consequences in the future as a ton of trust has been lost imo.

I'm utterly distraught for all the NHS and other healthcare staff who fell for the government's horrific poker bluff of mandated vaccinations through threat of being sacked. It was obvious to me they would never go through with it but sadly many people believed the bluff and so got vaxxed even though they didn't want to. Government subsequently dropped the mandates leaving those people absolutely stuffed imo. I hope that any who have been harmed by the shots will get together and launch a class action lawsuit against government.

The problem with such despicable psychological tactics is that they can only be played once. Once you've "cried wolf" no-one will believe you the next time. So when the next pandemic arrives or just a virulent strain of Flu, no-one will believe what government says about it.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
It was utterly despicable to strong-arm people into getting vaccinated and has imo done untold damage to the reputation of the medical industry that will have far reaching consequences in the future as a ton of trust has been lost imo.

I'm utterly distraught for all the NHS and other healthcare staff who fell for the government's horrific poker bluff of mandated vaccinations through threat of being sacked. It was obvious to me they would never go through with it but sadly many people believed the bluff and so got vaxxed even though they didn't want to. Government subsequently dropped the mandates leaving those people absolutely stuffed imo. I hope that any who have been harmed by the shots will get together and launch a class action lawsuit against government.

The problem with such despicable psychological tactics is that they can only be played once. Once you've "cried wolf" no-one will believe you the next time. So when the next pandemic arrives or just a virulent strain of Flu, no-one will believe what government says about it.

In your opinion I'm sure. But back in majority street we're just getting on with things.
Original post by hotpud
In your opinion I'm sure. But back in majority street we're just getting on with things.

I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting here.
I have absolutely no idea what you are suggesting here.

I am suggesting that your outrage is in your head. Everyone else has moved on.
Original post by hotpud
I am suggesting that your outrage is in your head. Everyone else has moved on.

Ah I see. Oh well you're welcome to your opinion of course but I feel sure that 1000s of healthcare staff who lost their jobs share my concerns :smile:
Ah I see. Oh well you're welcome to your opinion of course but I feel sure that 1000s of healthcare staff who lost their jobs share my concerns :smile:

Did anyone lose their jobs? There was a big stink during the announcements but I am surprised there has been no follow up. We certainly knew about it when P&O sacked 800 workers yet silence when thousands of NHS workers are allegedly terminated?

Either way, the NHS is changing. There is a big push on workers to uphold the values of the NHS which is ultimately about protecting and caring for the patients they care for. Being vaccinated would be a part of that and already is for certain other illnesses. Perhaps it is no bad thing that those who do not sure the same values are no longer working in the NHS. I don't want to go to a hospital and get ill / die because of the personal beliefs of someone who is working there.
Original post by hotpud
There is a big push on workers to uphold the values of the NHS which is ultimately about protecting and caring for the patients they care for. Being vaccinated would be a part of that and already is for certain other illnesses.

I disagree and remain utterly disgusted at the mandating of the vaccines that the gov/NHS attempted but later did a U-turn on.

Covid vaccines are no guarantee that the vaccinee won't get Covid, symptomatic Covid at that and that they won't then spread the disease to vulnerable patients. The government's own Vaccine Surveillance Reports have been showing since around August 2021 that the vaccinated community account for the vast majority of all Covid cases, hospitalisations and deaths

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

But of course you are already well aware of this as we've discussed it numerous times before.

So there's simply no justification whatsoever imo for expecting or demanding that any NHS staff be vaccinated for Covid. If protecting vulnerable patients is an important factor then there is only one way to do it which is to test NHS workers to ensure that they don't have Covid. Vaccination plays no part in that decision whatsoever imo. Government have clearly realised this imo which is why they did the embarrassing U-Turn on the mandates.

hotpud
Perhaps it is no bad thing that those who do not sure the same values are no longer working in the NHS.

I think your assertion here that NHS workers who refuse the Covid vaccines don't share NHS values is simply abhorrent and totally unjustified. These people have diligently supported people throughout the pandemic, put their own lives in danger on the front line treating Covid patients and working in extremely difficult environments. They are just as committed and moral as other NHS workers who took the vaccines. We should not be segregating workers nor trying to encourage any kind of discrimination or stigmatisation which imo is akin to racism.

hotpud

I don't want to go to a hospital and get ill / die because of the personal beliefs of someone who is working there.

But you wouldn't get ill or die in hospital as a result of someone being vaccinated or not. You'd get ill or die if someone treating you was infected and passed the disease on to you. Vaccination imo has absolutely nothing to do with that. Only testing of the workers can determine if they are currently infected.
Oh and in answer to your question "Did anyone lose their jobs?" . . . .

https://euroweeklynews.com/2021/11/19/4000-unvaccinated-care-workers-lose-their-jobs/undefined

"Figures released by NHS England show that since November 11 some 4,000 care workers had lost their jobs for failing to get vaccinated. Earlier this month the government announced the rule change requiring care workers to be vaccinated against Covid-19, this led to a surge in uptake among the minority who still weren’t protected but thousands seemingly chose to be sacked instead."

"The mandatory requirement, for those working with vulnerable people to have both jabs, became law on November 11. The loss of jobs will be a blow to a sector that is already suffering staffing shortages with some 7,800 workers believed to have left the professions since September. Some 5,600 are no longer registered as working in old age homes and a further 2,200 that work with younger people."
Oh and in answer to your question "Did anyone lose their jobs?" . . . .

https://euroweeklynews.com/2021/11/19/4000-unvaccinated-care-workers-lose-their-jobs/undefined

"Figures released by NHS England show that since November 11 some 4,000 care workers had lost their jobs for failing to get vaccinated. Earlier this month the government announced the rule change requiring care workers to be vaccinated against Covid-19, this led to a surge in uptake among the minority who still weren’t protected but thousands seemingly chose to be sacked instead."

"The mandatory requirement, for those working with vulnerable people to have both jabs, became law on November 11. The loss of jobs will be a blow to a sector that is already suffering staffing shortages with some 7,800 workers believed to have left the professions since September. Some 5,600 are no longer registered as working in old age homes and a further 2,200 that work with younger people."

These are care workers. Not NHS workers which was what my point alluded to.

I have no time to respond to your other post. I am too busy doing interesting things.
Original post by hotpud
These are care workers. Not NHS workers which was what my point alluded to.

They are all healthcare workers and have all come under the disgusting oppression of the mandates imo.
They are all healthcare workers and have all come under the disgusting oppression of the mandates imo.

I know. It is a nightmare. Can you believe healthcare workers are now mandated to clean their hands and wear PPE gear for the safety of their patients? Absolutely disgusting. I still haven't got over the fact that nurses also now wear scrubs rather than their dainty nurses uniform. Political correctness gone mad! Humph!!!

Thankfully though, the vast majority of healthcare professionals get it, aren't outraged and are doing a sterling job. Meanwhile, back in their armchairs at home...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending