The Student Room Group

reasonable adjustments

Thanks for all your responses in Feb 2020. I have had a really hard time with coming off SSRIs with multiple physical and mental symptoms, and no support from mental health services. I am just starting to feel a bit better, but can't go straight back to full time final year demands and would like to do the final year part time, distance learning. The uni has previously said it's "not a distance learning course" although they have no regulations about how much you must attend.
I would like to argue that in order for me to reach my potential, they must amend their policies to allow me to do this part time, as otherwise my disability prevents me from having the same opportunities as other students.
Has anyone else gone through this? the issue would seem to be that there is no definition in law about what "reasonable" is. thanks.
Original post by waverley1
Thanks for all your responses in Feb 2020. I have had a really hard time with coming off SSRIs with multiple physical and mental symptoms, and no support from mental health services. I am just starting to feel a bit better, but can't go straight back to full time final year demands and would like to do the final year part time, distance learning. The uni has previously said it's "not a distance learning course" although they have no regulations about how much you must attend.
I would like to argue that in order for me to reach my potential, they must amend their policies to allow me to do this part time, as otherwise my disability prevents me from having the same opportunities as other students.
Has anyone else gone through this? the issue would seem to be that there is no definition in law about what "reasonable" is. thanks.

If they do not offer distance learning courses, they cannot suddenly change their policy or offer a distance learning course to you. That would not be reasonable imo. That's like going to a hairdressers and demanding they do another beauty treatment that they don't offer or are qualified to offer because it's more convenient for you to attend that business. Changing a business' way of working and their services would not be reasonable or practical. Especially as there's other uni's who offer distance learning courses.

Your only option would be to finish your degree at a distance learning course such as the Open Uni.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by -Eirlys-
If they do not offer distance learning courses, they cannot suddenly change their policy or offer a distance learning course to you. That would not be reasonable imo. That's like going to a hairdressers and demanding they do another beauty treatment that they don't offer or are qualified to offer because it's more convenient for you to attend that business. Changing a business' way of working and their services would not be reasonable or practical. Especially as there's other uni's who offer distance learning courses.

Your only option would be to finish your degree at a distance learning course such as the Open Uni.

With respect, I wasn't asking for an opinion, I was asking for experienced advice. I found your comments rather unhelpful. It's not anything like going to a beautician and expecting something else for my convenience. It's about the Equality Act, and what I can reasonably expect for my £9000. If you answer people with depression like this, then I recommend that you have a little think about why you bothered to reply at all.
Original post by waverley1
With respect, I wasn't asking for an opinion, I was asking for experienced advice. I found your comments rather unhelpful. It's not anything like going to a beautician and expecting something else for my convenience. It's about the Equality Act, and what I can reasonably expect for my £9000. If you answer people with depression like this, then I recommend that you have a little think about why you bothered to reply at all.

I was just being honest, I'm sorry you found it unhelpful, but I talk to people the same way whether they're depressed or not. I don't think that's relevant to this discussion.

Have they not given a good reason for not being able to make the course a distance learning one? You might find this interesting to read.

There is always the option of the Open Uni that is actually a bit cheaper (and significantly cheaper in Wales) and is designed for distance learning only.
Reply 4
You do need to be mindful of how you speak to people, when they've come on a forum to ask for advice.
Hey, it's unlikely they'll be able to make the course distance learning. What they might be able to do is have lectures online (which many unis will be doing anyway-I'm at a small conservatoire and we're still having some stuff online) and seminars/smaller classes in person, which would still be much more manageable. They should be able to offer the course to you part time (so long as they do that anyway, they wouldn't be able to just for you).
But I'm sorry to hear you've had a hard time on your SSRI. Can I ask which it was? I know some people have an especially hard time on certain ones (particularly sertraline for some reason, but I'm on it and it's been great!). There are also other options for antidepressant medications, so that might be worth speaking about with your GP.
Hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for your response. Yes they do put lectures up online, which I can access. I am hoping that they will allow me to do the course that way without pressure to attend in person. I was wondering if anyone else had managed to argue this as a reasonable adjustment. I think you're right that part time might be more difficult - not least in organising the funding via SFE. But I appreciate your comments. I'm glad that Sertraline works for you. My problem was that I was really mentally unwell and was put on a huge cocktail of meds, and wasn't told about the importance of very slow tapering off. So I've had a protracted withdrawal with mental and physical symptoms. I would just advise you to read up a bit about the side effects of these meds and make sure you taper off very slowly when the time comes. And don't take additional meds for side effects of the meds you are on - there is no research into the effects of mixing all these meds. Best.
Reply 7
I’m currently in the process of trying to do this. What was the result?
Reply 8
Eventually I found a person in student support who decided to take in my

Quick Reply

Latest