gcse rs revision

Watch this thread
edjc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm doing gcse RS (aqa) and am about to start year 11 but my teacher is really bad so i find it almost impossible to learn from my class notes. I mainly use the CGP revision guide but it doesn't have enough quotes from scripture so I find exam questions quite hard. In our last mocks i managed to get a 7 (one mark off an 8) but ideally want an 8/9. I also find it hard to get over 9/12 on the 12 markers no matter how much I understand the mark schemes. Does anyone have any advice or revision resource recommendations? (i do christianty + judaism btw)
hss_2004
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
hey! i got a 9 in every single RS assessment (with some where i got 100% in) and ended up with a 9 at gcse this is what helped me the most.

get your AQA revision guide (i done islam and christianity) and i learnt every, single quote there was. some a really easy to memorise. put them on quizlet and literally go through them everyday for 20 minutes, even if you don’t put a lot of effort into learning them eventually they’ll just stick as you’re looking at the same thing every single day.

but more importantly you need to know the structure of the questions.
12 markers, include 4/5 paragraphs (with a conclusion ALWAYS) and ensure there is at least 1-2 quotes in every single paragraph. you will not get more than 9/12 if you only mention 2 quotes.
5 markers - 2 paragraphs with 2 QUOTES to ensure you get 5/5. without any quotes you will most likely get 2-3/5.
4 markers 2 para and you could get away without religious teachings most times those questions don’t really require them but i still put them in there to expand my points. plz learn more than “love thy neighbour” reallg impress them with your knowledge of the quotes, even if it’s not quotes aim for religious teachings, even mentioning things like the 10 commandments or key words within islam such as hajj, salah, zakah really up your grades. always make sure you have both sides of the argument.

do lots and lots of practice questions and have ideas of what you would write. there’s plenty in the textbook and plenty on the aqa website and LEARN THE MARKSCHEME! not word to word as that is incredibly boring. but the potential things you could speak about. also plz work on your timing the timing of the RS exam is foul and you have to write so much for such little time, always make sure you can write fast.
hss_2004
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
also - you can look up christianity gcse religious teachings there’s a lot online from past students. judaism i’m not sure ngl since i done islam but your textbook just learn every single one and make sure you’ve got a quote for every single scenario. with us we had beliefs,practices and themes. make sure you have at least multiple quotes for each theme whether it be marriage, divorce, family blah blah blah
hss_2004
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
i would suggest getting an AQA revision guide not CGP
Mulefa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I'm also doing AQA RS (Buddhism and Christianity) and going into year 11. Revision books are okay, but have you tried looking more at the official textbook (this one) - it's got more quotes than CGP? If you get some index cards, write down information for each section in the textbook and include quotes as well as writing answers for questions on each topic: two different beliefs about the topic/how it impacts Christians today/two different ways Christians do something etc. This is my main way of revision for RS.

Also, don't limit yourself to quotes (as hss_2004 briefly said) - in the question it says you've got to refer to sacred texts or another religious authority so if you really can't find a quote, try paraphrasing e.g. one of Jesus' miracles or parables (for example, The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats shows that God brings justice). Learning the 10 Commandments & Lord's Prayer can provide a wealth of quotes that you can apply to loads of different topics too.
edjc123
Rep:
(Original post by Mulefa)
I'm also doing AQA RS (Buddhism and Christianity) and going into year 11. Revision books are okay, but have you tried looking more at the official textbook (this one) - it's got more quotes than CGP? If you get some index cards, write down information for each section in the textbook and include quotes as well as writing answers for questions on each topic: two different beliefs about the topic/how it impacts Christians today/two different ways Christians do something etc. This is my main way of revision for RS.

Also, don't limit yourself to quotes (as hss_2004 briefly said) - in the question it says you've got to refer to sacred texts or another religious authority so if you really can't find a quote, try paraphrasing e.g. one of Jesus' miracles or parables (for example, The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats shows that God brings justice). Learning the 10 Commandments & Lord's Prayer can provide a wealth of quotes that you can apply to loads of different topics too.
Thank you!! I think they have that textbook at school and its quite useful so ill buy a copy
edjc123
Rep:
(Original post by hss_2004)
hey! i got a 9 in every single RS assessment (with some where i got 100% in) and ended up with a 9 at gcse this is what helped me the most.

get your AQA revision guide (i done islam and christianity) and i learnt every, single quote there was. some a really easy to memorise. put them on quizlet and literally go through them everyday for 20 minutes, even if you don’t put a lot of effort into learning them eventually they’ll just stick as you’re looking at the same thing every single day.

but more importantly you need to know the structure of the questions.
12 markers, include 4/5 paragraphs (with a conclusion ALWAYS) and ensure there is at least 1-2 quotes in every single paragraph. you will not get more than 9/12 if you only mention 2 quotes.
5 markers - 2 paragraphs with 2 QUOTES to ensure you get 5/5. without any quotes you will most likely get 2-3/5.
4 markers 2 para and you could get away without religious teachings most times those questions don’t really require them but i still put them in there to expand my points. plz learn more than “love thy neighbour” reallg impress them with your knowledge of the quotes, even if it’s not quotes aim for religious teachings, even mentioning things like the 10 commandments or key words within islam such as hajj, salah, zakah really up your grades. always make sure you have both sides of the argument.

do lots and lots of practice questions and have ideas of what you would write. there’s plenty in the textbook and plenty on the aqa website and LEARN THE MARKSCHEME! not word to word as that is incredibly boring. but the potential things you could speak about. also plz work on your timing the timing of the RS exam is foul and you have to write so much for such little time, always make sure you can write fast.
Thank you for such a thorough response, it was really useful!
Last edited by edjc123; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (59)
66.29%
No (23)
25.84%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.87%

Watched Threads