The Student Room Group

Help access course or A levels

Hello

Just wondering if anybody can help me? I’m 28 and have had a long time off from education.
I have a merit in health and social care level 2, I’m wanting to access course to midwifery.
My first question is can I do access course with my level 2 college qualification?
Is it worth doing access course?
I just don’t want to dish out the money for a course if it’s not the best option.
Any help would be grateful.
Thank you
I've just done an Access course. They are very popular for mature students. Feel free to ask anything. I never did A Levels so can't really comment on them I'm afraid.
Original post by Auntie_Autie2019
I've just done an Access course. They are very popular for mature students. Feel free to ask anything. I never did A Levels so can't really comment on them I'm afraid.

What did you study? Are you going on to uni?

I got quite poor GCSEs but I did do level 2 Health and social care, I got merit. I got my function skills math English( not really sure what level I got, as waiting for my new certificates to come) my access course I want says that I can do course with these qualifications but I worried I won’t get into universities with just access course?
Thank you
I did an Access course in Biosciences and I got Uni offers straight away whilst doing it. Most Access courses include maths and study skills so I would expect that should be enough. Some people on my course did do a GCSE alongside in Maths or English so it might be worth you looking into whether unis want that aswell.
Original post by Jasminleefield93
Hello

Just wondering if anybody can help me? I’m 28 and have had a long time off from education.
I have a merit in health and social care level 2, I’m wanting to access course to midwifery.
My first question is can I do access course with my level 2 college qualification?
Is it worth doing access course?
I just don’t want to dish out the money for a course if it’s not the best option.
Any help would be grateful.
Thank you

Access courses are designed for mature students who have been out of education for a while and who want to go to uni - you would be perfect for one! A much better option at your age than A levels. Nearly every uni in the country accepts Access courses so it is definitely a good step for you to take if you want to be a midwife.

Just check with the unis you want to apply to that they will accept your functional skills maths & English. They may want you to do a GCSE alongside your Access course as the person above said, so just send an email to Admissions to check that one thing.

Quick Reply

Latest