should i take up further maths (cie)

Watch
no99
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
im about to begin my as/a levels this september (phys maths and computer science) but ive been pondering whether i should also do further maths. im comfortable enough with pure maths 1 and 3 for normal maths to do past papers. i havent done as much for physics or cs but i think they should be at least easier than what i found maths to be. do yall think i should take up further maths, do another subject entirely, or just stick with my 3 subjects. also i want to do more computer science in uni. would further maths be possible largely self studied? thanks!
Last edited by no99; 3 months ago
dextrous63
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
That would depend entirely on how competent you are at maths.
Anonymous(
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by no99)
im about to begin my as/a levels this september (phys maths and computer science) but ive been pondering whether i should also do further maths. im comfortable enough with pure maths 1 and 3 for normal maths to do past papers. i havent done as much for physics or cs but i think they should be at least easier than what i found maths to be. do yall think i should take up further maths, do another subject entirely, or just stick with my 3 subjects. also i want to do more computer science in uni. would further maths be possible largely self studied? thanks!
It depends, really. Do you enjoy maths? Are you getting A’s/A*s in normal maths A level? If so, then you can probably take it. Maths, Physics and CS are not content heavy subjects (not too sure about CS but maths and physics definitely aren’t) and further maths won’t be too much additional work. It pairs really well with your current A levels. Also, if you want to study CS at Oxbridge/Imperial, the further maths with help you a lot, not only will it make you a more competitive applicant but it will also help you once you start your degree. With CIE, if you’ve done mechanics and Statistics 1 for regular maths, then you’ll have to go over some of the content in statistics 2 in order to do further probability and statistics. If you haven’t done mechanics, then you’ll have to do the entirety of mechanics before you can do further mechanics. So, I would recommend that you take mechanics and stats 1 in standard A level maths. CIE is known to be harder for maths than other boards, keep that in mind. Also, with further maths you must actually understand the content instead of just memorising techniques if you want to get an A*. You can get an A* in a level maths by just having a very superficial understanding, memorising all the methods and doing past papers. You can do the same for further maths as well, but it will be much harder to achieve an A*. If you don’t enjoy maths a lot , then you shouldn’t take FM and you should reconsider whether a CS degree is really for you.
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous()
It depends, really. Do you enjoy maths? Are you getting A’s/A*s in normal maths A level? If so, then you can probably take it. Maths, Physics and CS are not content heavy subjects (not too sure about CS but maths and physics definitely aren’t) and further maths won’t be too much additional work. It pairs really well with your current A levels. Also, if you want to study CS at Oxbridge/Imperial, the further maths with help you a lot, not only will it make you a more competitive applicant but it will also help you once you start your degree. With CIE, if you’ve done mechanics and Statistics 1 for regular maths, then you’ll have to go over some of the content in statistics 2 in order to do further probability and statistics. If you haven’t done mechanics, then you’ll have to do the entirety of mechanics before you can do further mechanics. So, I would recommend that you take mechanics and stats 1 in standard A level maths. CIE is known to be harder for maths than other boards, keep that in mind. Also, with further maths you must actually understand the content instead of just memorising techniques if you want to get an A*. You can get an A* in a level maths by just having a very superficial understanding, memorising all the methods and doing past papers. You can do the same for further maths as well, but it will be much harder to achieve an A*. If you don’t enjoy maths a lot , then you shouldn’t take FM and you should reconsider whether a CS degree is really for you.
Just to add to your point about content, computer science is actually quite content heavy. Even more so that maths, physics and further maths. There is lots to memorise and a large piece of coursework. However, it is also quite easy. It's pretty much the same level as gcse computer science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise