What is a level physics like?

Watch this thread
_Robyn_
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm currently doing gcses and thinking about a levels. I would love to do a career in nasa or something space related. I enjoy physics and sometimes struggle but eventually overcome the problem. It's the same with maths. Some things are difficult to understand but I practice and I understand it. Do I have to be really good at maths to be capable of a level physics? I'm think I wanna take maths and physics at alevel but I'm I capable of it? And what other subject would accompany those two?
Flibbler
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
The maths in A-level physics is fairly straightforward. However, if you struggle with maths you may find A-level maths difficult.

Keep in mind that a lot of universities require very strong maths skills for their physics courses, and the maths in a physics degree is very advanced. Some universities are more concerned about you having A-level maths than you having A-level physics, even for the physics course!
cutest_faithx
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Well my sister is in uni to get a degree to be able to work with nasa and she took physics, maths and chemistry.You do need to have a advanced understanding of all maths to be able to pass physics.I think you will be capable of it as doing both subjects maths and physics would really help your overall grade for both. 3rd subjects to think about would be chemistry, biology english geography.Hope this helps!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Sinnoh might have some thoughts. I gather physics A-level is a bit tricky because you have to be quite precise with the terminology to get the top marks. Note that for physics and related degrees (e.g. engineering), they're probably closer to A-level Maths in style than A-level Physics.

Another thing to be aware of is that if you aren't a US citizen your chances of working at NASA are essentially zero, because it's a government department connected to the US DoD therefore its employees are civil servants of the US government and would need to be citizens for security clearance due to the DoD links. The UK is part of the ESA though (which in spite of the name is not associated with the EU which we have now left) so that might be an option.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
I'm currently doing gcses and thinking about a levels. I would love to do a career in nasa or something space related. I enjoy physics and sometimes struggle but eventually overcome the problem. It's the same with maths. Some things are difficult to understand but I practice and I understand it. Do I have to be really good at maths to be capable of a level physics? I'm think I wanna take maths and physics at alevel but I'm I capable of it? And what other subject would accompany those two?
Are you aware of the European Space Agency? Doesn't have to be NASA...

The maths in A-level physics isn't as hard as A-level maths, but it is harder than any other subject. If you're willing to do the work and you get good grades in GCSE, then I'd say you're capable of doing both subjects.

As for something to go with them... Well, anything else you'd particularly like to spend a year and a half studying? If you're going into physics/engineering I'd recommend further maths, but it's not essential by any means.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads