student__678
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am going into year 13 and study History, English Literature and Spanish. (my predicted grades are A* A A).
I want to go into a career in law but I love history and would like to continue doing it in uni and with the previous GDL it seemed that this option would not put me at a disadvantage but now with the new SQE am I going to be at a disadvantage as a non-law student and will law firms prefer people with law degrees at uni?
General Question: should I do a history or law degree with the end goal of a career in law?
Last edited by ex85; 3 months ago
pendragola
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
history then u can do a gdl and go into law bc u get to do smth u enjoy and it gives u a wider skill set in the long run
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Don't think law firms even prefer LLB grads vs other grads with a GDL now much less post SQE. I might be wrong but, I seriously doubt it. The Bar certainly doesn't so I can't see why solicitor firms would?
camapplicant530
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
All firms will continue to require non-law to do a GDL, so little will practically change.

The intake split is normally 50:50, so there’s not really a preference.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
AFAIK, the SQE consists of material that even Law students wouldn't know about. It's supposed to cater for everyone, so I don't see why doing History would put you at a disadvantage. It would be much better if you did something you enjoyed at uni!
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Do non-law grads still need to do the GDL and then the new SQE or can they just go straight to the SQE now?
student__678
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by LawStudent456)
Do non-law grads still need to do the GDL and then the new SQE or can they just go straight to the SQE now?
No idea. Any law students/lawyers know?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LawStudent456)
if you decide to do a non-law degree you would do the SQE prep course or the PGDL before the SQE exams to give you some knowledge of law. if you take this quiz from the University of Law it will tell you the route you would take after your undergrad

https://solicitorquiz.law.ac.uk/

no, law firms do not prefer law grads. hiring rate between law/non-law is 50/50.
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you do history not law you will have up to an extra year of studies after as now. That is a bit complicated as you then need either a masters loan or a law firm to sponsor you. If you have the master's loan you then won't have a master's loan for the studies for SQE2 so a law degree will be simpler and quicker. You would still have to take the SQE1 exam immediately after your law degree however or during it or whenever any sponsoring law firm asks you to do it.

Eg the City Consortium want their future trainees who don't do a law degree to do a course first before SQE1 exams. See the CCP link on this page https://www.slaughterandmay.com/care...qualification/

It won't make too much difference other than the funding issue that not doing a law degree means you may have to do up to an extra year of studying. I did law and loved it (A levels History, English lit and German so pretty similar to yours). Lots of people convert to law after. 50% of people at big firms read law as a first degree and 50% did not in terms of new recruits.
Chloebrookesss
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I acc study law and something that we learn is a theory that people without a law degree make better lawyers. Only a theory, pretty peak but ye defo do what U enjoy more it’ll help drive you to actually get the work done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads