The Student Room Group

Personal statement topics help

I am in the process of planning my PS of which I am applying for human sciences and biology courses, however, I'm not sure which topics to include that would be relevant to both courses. I have a strong interest in immunity and evolution but I'm not sure how biology-based my PS should be as human sciences also include a sociological element. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Frazzybo42
I am in the process of planning my PS of which I am applying for human sciences and biology courses, however, I'm not sure which topics to include that would be relevant to both courses. I have a strong interest in immunity and evolution but I'm not sure how biology-based my PS should be as human sciences also include a sociological element. Thanks.

hiya!

so i also applied for human sciences and biological sciences; the two courses have a lot of overlap to be honest, and immunity and evolution are really important in both of them, so discussing them is an excellent idea.

i focused mine on the importance of blending biology and culture - much more geared towards human sciences since that was what i'd rather do; i talked a lot about genetics and evolution and how it plays into society today.

if you are really concerned about not being able to include both subjects in one personal statement, you could always email the universities and ask to submit an alternative one.

feel free to message me if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 2
I was watching the Human Sciences open day for UCL, and they said they are aware that most people who apply to human sciences will also be applying elsewhere as there is a limited availability of institutes that do it in the UK. What they said was that you need to make sure there is a paragraph somewhere that indicates your interests don't lie just in one place as it is an interdisciplinary degree. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by etohin
hiya!

so i also applied for human sciences and biological sciences; the two courses have a lot of overlap to be honest, and immunity and evolution are really important in both of them, so discussing them is an excellent idea.

i focused mine on the importance of blending biology and culture - much more geared towards human sciences since that was what i'd rather do; i talked a lot about genetics and evolution and how it plays into society today.

if you are really concerned about not being able to include both subjects in one personal statement, you could always email the universities and ask to submit an alternative one.

feel free to message me if you have any questions :smile:

Thanks for the response! I have considered that maybe I should apply for human and social sciences courses where there is more overlap. I think I'll still use immunity and evolution because I find it the most interesting. I might message you as I begin my PS :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by litan
I was watching the Human Sciences open day for UCL, and they said they are aware that most people who apply to human sciences will also be applying elsewhere as there is a limited availability of institutes that do it in the UK. What they said was that you need to make sure there is a paragraph somewhere that indicates your interests don't lie just in one place as it is an interdisciplinary degree. Hope this helps :smile:

Oh ok, that makes sense. I think I'll end up applying for human and social sciences courses because there is a bit more overlap. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending