The Student Room Group

would you be offended @ Bengalis / south asians

I go to a multicultural school and we often guess each other's ethnicity, when I tell people mine, 90% of them say you're too light/white to be Bengali or say something in your language then.
It annoys me because they overreact, would this annoy you?
It annoys me because where else am I meant to be from and even people from my own country think I'm whitewashed because I'm literally white.
I know people are just surprised which I don't mind but they overreact too much that it makes me uncomfortable.
I completely get what you mean and it’s due to the stereotypes and colourism/racism we bengalis suffer from a lot. Just simply remind them Bangladeshi people are very very diverse in appearance- some of my cousins are very light with blue/grey eyes and I have friends who’s relatives also have green eyes and fair skin which isn’t fitting into social media’s stereotypes.

Remind them about this diversity to shut them up- no one can really ‘look’ bengali, I believe.
Reply 2
Original post by sushieater37
I completely get what you mean and it’s due to the stereotypes and colourism/racism we bengalis suffer from a lot. Just simply remind them Bangladeshi people are very very diverse in appearance- some of my cousins are very light with blue/grey eyes and I have friends who’s relatives also have green eyes and fair skin which isn’t fitting into social media’s stereotypes.

Remind them about this diversity to shut them up- no one can really ‘look’ bengali, I believe.

Thanks I will
I have a friend who says this numerous times to people who guess where I'm from she says 'her sister is really brown but she's white so it's a country where there's loads of brown people' and I get annoyed by this but idk why. She has said this lots of times.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks I will
I have a friend who says this numerous times to people who guess where I'm from she says 'her sister is really brown but she's white so it's a country where there's loads of brown people' and I get annoyed by this but idk why. She has said this lots of times.

That’s not really respectful of her to say about your sister about being ‘really’ brown. What does this mean? 🤔
It’s not a country where there’s loads of brown people it’s a country where there’s people of VARIOUS skin tones, I’ve been back home and whilst the majority is brown it’s not uncommon to see fair/darker than ‘brown’ skin individuals at all! Again remind them of the large variation of our people. Anyone who says bengalis look the same are ignorant/haven’t seen many
I'm Bengali, and frequently get asked if I'm Chinese, especially as my name is kinda Western (Sara). I just take it in my stride.
Reply 5
That’s not really respectful of her to say about your sister about being ‘really’ brown. What does this mean? 🤔
It’s not a country where there’s loads of brown people it’s a country where there’s people of VARIOUS skin tones, I’ve been back home and whilst the majority is brown it’s not uncommon to see fair/darker than ‘brown’ skin individuals at all! Again remind them of the large variation of our people. Anyone who says bengalis look the same are ignorant/haven’t seen many

I know the emphasis pisses me off because I also don't know why it matters if she is or isn't. My sister isn't even 'really brown' she's caramel lol which I find so pretty but when she says it irl it sounds negative. Yep I will I do say there's variation but then they say then why is this the first time I've met a light Bengali? Idk they're really close minded there because I've met numerous
Reply 6
I'm Bengali, and frequently get asked if I'm Chinese, especially as my name is kinda Western (Sara). I just take it in my stride.

That's a nice name, my cousin is called that too. I thought Sara is more an Arab name but Sarah is western idk but yh I get what u mean
I know the emphasis pisses me off because I also don't know why it matters if she is or isn't. My sister isn't even 'really brown' she's caramel lol which I find so pretty but when she says it irl it sounds negative. Yep I will I do say there's variation but then they say then why is this the first time I've met a light Bengali? Idk they're really close minded there because I've met numerous

Then reply,
In that case you clearly haven’t met enough? Because literally 3/4 of the bengalis I know are light skinned
Lighter side of caramel most of the time and my best friend is very very pale lol.
Best thing to do with close minded people is either educate them if you’re close and genuinely care about them or ignore them 🤷🏻*♀️
Embrace & love yourself <3 LOOL cringe, but very important
Reply 8
Then reply,
In that case you clearly haven’t met enough? Because literally 3/4 of the bengalis I know are light skinned
Lighter side of caramel most of the time and my best friend is very very pale lol.
Best thing to do with close minded people is either educate them if you’re close and genuinely care about them or ignore them 🤷🏻*♀️
Embrace & love yourself <3 LOOL cringe, but very important

urgh it's annoying because my whole time at secondary has been like this. I don't think it even matters where ur from but these days everyone wants to know or guess
I go to a multicultural school and we often guess each other's ethnicity, when I tell people mine, 90% of them say you're too light/white to be Bengali or say something in your language then.
It annoys me because where else am I meant to be from and even people from my own country think I'm whitewashed because I'm literally white.
I know people are just surprised which I don't mind but they overreact too much that it makes me uncomfortable.

Literally the same as me, but its the other bengalis who say i'm too white-kinda annoying. I'm just ****in bengali like everyone else smh. I just ignore them.
(edited 2 years ago)

"Please stop talking about the pigmentation of my skin because it makes me uncomfortable". That's honestly what you have to say to shut those type of people up. I'm South Asian too, and being from two different South Asian countries some people find it hard to wrap around their heads how me and my sister are "fair/light" and my brother is "dark/brown". I always ignore comments about it, especially stupid ones like "your brother looks adopted". If these people don't even know how genetics work, why bother interacting with them? The fact that they are so amused by the pigmentation of skin is weird from the get-go.

There is no specific way somebody should look and you should never feel that there is. Bengalis (and South Asians in general) are a very diverse race, we come in all colours, shapes and sizes and in no way do you need to prove that by speaking Bengali. It's a rude thing to ask and you have every right to be annoyed.
urgh it's annoying because my whole time at secondary has been like this. I don't think it even matters where ur from but these days everyone wants to know or guess

Yeah I really couldn’t care less lol I think if you’re mature enough to accept people as they are, you wouldn’t even bother questioning ethnicity and ask/have a conversation about more meaningful things

Please consider what you're ethnicity means to you. I'm Pakistani-Bengali but that doesn't define who I actually am. By having stereotypes of how certain groups look out behave, we are complicit in the white washing of our society, so please stand up for yourself and make it clear that you don't consider it a compliment to have whiter skin than your ethnicity might otherwise suggest. Maybe you can tell them to mind their own beeswax too if they can't have a respectful conservation with you and stop being so judgemental. Sorry for the outburst but conversations like these are tough and need to be had to make a noticeable change. Anway, thanks for keeping up with my rant 🤣
Ew Bengali colourism is horrible. I know it's 'weird' for us to stand out, but I genuinely think (and have) just called people out about this stuff. I don't care if I'm at wedding or whatever event, if someone is saying some dumb racist sh*t then we really need to be able to say 'why are we talking about people's skin colour?' It makes people uncomfortable but good.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending