Help picking top 5 for (undergrad) business and management courses!

Watch
jordang8
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm trying to select my top 5 picks for undergrad business management applications for 2022 school year, coming from America.

What I care about:
-Overall value from the course. I plan on starting and growing my own businesses rather than working for someone else and going up the ladder. So things like "prestige for employability" don't matter as much for me. Strength and real life applications of the course.
-A fun, vibrant, and aesthetic city with a good energy that doesn't drain my soul by being dull and boring with nothing going on. Lots of different things to do. Overall quality of life for a student in the city. (Outside of the obvious pick of London)
-Good support for start-ups (resources, clubs/societies, coaching and mentoring, talent, etc.)

My rough draft options, assuming I meet the pre-requisite app criteria are:
LSE, Warwick, Cass, KCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham.
*Durham was a bit too far up north for my liking*

Also open to anything not listed, or mock drafts of how you would pick Top 5 from those options. Thanks!
jordang8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Hopefully I am in the right location to post this thread
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jordang8)
I'm trying to select my top 5 picks for undergrad business management applications for 2022 school year, coming from America.

What I care about:
-Overall value from the course. I plan on starting and growing my own businesses rather than working for someone else and going up the ladder. So things like "prestige for employability" don't matter as much for me. Strength and real life applications of the course.
-A fun, vibrant, and aesthetic city with a good energy that doesn't drain my soul by being dull and boring with nothing going on. Lots of different things to do. Overall quality of life for a student in the city. (Outside of the obvious pick of London)
-Good support for start-ups (resources, clubs/societies, coaching and mentoring, talent, etc.)

Also open to anything not listed, or mock drafts of how you would pick Top 5 from those options. Thanks!
Hi jordang8,

Great to hear you are interested in studying Business Management here at a University in the UK. I have just completed a Marketing Management degree at Lancaster University and really enjoyed my time here!

Lancaster is ranked 6th in England for student satisfaction and is a Top 10 university in UK league tables, The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and The Guardian University Guide 2021. One of the great things about studying in Lancaster University Management School (LUMS) specifically is the careers service, I know you said you are interested in starting your own business and they can really help with this too. There is also a hub in the centre of the university which is used for brainstorming and collaboration. There is also multiple business societies including an entrepreneurship society that might be of interest!

Some of my friends studied Entrepreneurship at Lancaster and this was great for those setting up their own business. I think one of their modules was about creating their own business plan. Lancaster also has lots of Entrepreneurs in Residence, I would recommend reading more on this here. If you are interested in pure Business Management then you can find out more on this here and there is also a study abroad and placement variant. I did a placement year within my degree so if you have any questions on this, please let me know.

Despite Lancaster being smaller than the likes of London or Manchester, it is a great student city - lots to do on campus, in the town and in the surrounding areas - if you are interested in knowing more about Lancaster then please comment below and I would be happy to share my experience!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Rebecca (Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student)
Pineapple Plant
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
To pick a definitive 5, I would look at the course content as a lot of unis offer optional modules for entrepreneurship etc. If you are going purely on course content then go for Bath, Warwick, Sussex but it depends if you would sacrifice the big city atmosphere for them. Otherwise look at UCL, KCL, Leeds, LSE, Manchester, Reading, Glasgow. What is Cass?

To pick out of these, as said earlier look at course content and also try and visit or virtual open days?
jordang8
Rep:
(Original post by Pineapple Plant)
To pick a definitive 5, I would look at the course content as a lot of unis offer optional modules for entrepreneurship etc. If you are going purely on course content then go for Bath, Warwick, Sussex but it depends if you would sacrifice the big city atmosphere for them. Otherwise look at UCL, KCL, Leeds, LSE, Manchester, Reading, Glasgow. What is Cass?

To pick out of these, as said earlier look at course content and also try and visit or virtual open days?
I have looked over the modules for years 1, 2, and 3 of each uni listed and they would each have valuable things for me.

Sussex is ranked way behind every uni I listed for management studies as far as memory is concerned on the subject rankings and lists I was looking at. Even going off the amount of times I see the name in probably 100 or so threads at this point, its not as popular as any Uni I listed.

-No Glasgow because I don't want to do 4 years of Uni or live in Scotland for even 3.
-UCL is a maybe, but they are considerably more expensive, more than $10,000 USD than a lot of choices.
-Cass = City, University of London.. but now I've heard some not so great things on their Uni as a whole outside of the course so I think I'll pass on them at least for now.

My mock list now:
LSE, Warwick, Bath, Manchester, _____

Need 1 more solid pick between Leeds, Notts, Birmingham, KCL.
thatguyme
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have looked over the modules for years 1, 2, and 3 of each uni listed and they would each have valuable things for me.

Sussex is ranked way behind every uni I listed for management studies as far as memory is concerned on the subject rankings and lists I was looking at. Even going off the amount of times I see the name in probably 100 or so threads at this point, its not as popular as any Uni I listed.

-No Glasgow because I don't want to do 4 years of Uni or live in Scotland for even 3.
-UCL is a maybe, but they are considerably more expensive, more than $10,000 USD than a lot of choices.
-Cass = City, University of London.. but now I've heard some not so great things on their Uni as a whole outside of the course so I think I'll pass on them at least for now.

My mock list now:
LSE, Warwick, Bath, Manchester, _____

Need 1 more solid pick between Leeds, Notts, Birmingham, KCL.
Pick KCL and Notts over Manchester as they are both stronger semi-targets for grad jobs in IB. But if you really want Manny then pick KCL as your 5th choice just because of the fact its in London which is better and easier for interviews etc.

Out of all of them should firm LSE and insurance should be Warwick.
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

What I care about:

Hi Jordan.

I'm currently studying Business Management with Entrepreneurship and I'm in the planning of my own business venture, like all the other students in my class.

Here at Pearson College London we offer industry based Business degree in Entrepreneurship, Marketing and Finance. So your lectures and seminars will be hosted by tutors who have been in the business field for many years, which is awesome. You also get guidance and help when trying to open up your own business.

We also have a Start-ups in residence programme where start-ups can build their businesses with the help and connections of Pearson College London. You can also access great internships with these companies.

We're based in Central London about 10 minutes away from Covent Garden.

Have a look at our prospectus : https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac....rospectus.html

When choosing your universities, look at the entry requirements, the location and what is included in the modules.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions
Aisha.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Why not study instate and do a year abroad? The cash savings and local contacts would be far more valuable to you.
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

What I care about:

Cass does not exist
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.55%
October 2021 (247)
44.91%
November 2021 (66)
12%
December 2021 (69)
12.55%
January 2021 (71)
12.91%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
8%