Would it be wise to apply only to medicine foundation courses? (ADIVE NEEDED)

Watch
15mohsinfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Medicine foundation courses are only the ones I qualify for as my grades are not the three A's required. So, therefore, can only apply to foundation courses which I am eligible for most of them. But I have heard they are quite competitive. What's the success ratio of me getting an offer if I apply to all 5.

As my grades are also AA B or C,(still undecided as my teacher needs to predict them) I don't know if this disadvantages me or gives a better chance of getting an interview for medicine as if they are too high for the course?

Also I really want to do medicine and it's my first choice. But looking at my mock grades and thinking realistically I am debating about doing law (which also I would absolutely love to do) but am eligible for most medicine foundation courses than the normal A100, so now I am very undecided about what to put on UCAS as I can only put one thing in my personal statement and can't put two different courses as the university will think I am not committed to the courses.

I would also like to know if we can apply to five medicine courses with a foundation year or only four cause how it works for general medicine.

But ideally I would like to put two medicine foundation courses and three law courses would that be possible and if so what do I write in my personal statement?

Please I desperately need your guys insight about what I should do and what will be the best way forward. Thank you so much.
15mohsinfa
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Also, anyone who has done a medicine foundation course can let me know what grades they got and what were the predicated grades and also if you don't mind sharing how much of the WP criteria you met e.g. free school meals, polar 4?
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 15mohsinfa)
Medicine foundation courses are only the ones I qualify for as my grades are not the three A's required. So, therefore, can only apply to foundation courses which I am eligible for most of them. But I have heard they are quite competitive. What's the success ratio of me getting an offer if I apply to all 5.

As my grades are also AA B or C,(still undecided as my teacher needs to predict them) I don't know if this disadvantages me or gives a better chance of getting an interview for medicine as if they are too high for the course?

Also I really want to do medicine and it's my first choice. But looking at my mock grades and thinking realistically I am debating about doing law (which also I would absolutely love to do) but am eligible for most medicine foundation courses than the normal A100, so now I am very undecided about what to put on UCAS as I can only put one thing in my personal statement and can't put two different courses as the university will think I am not committed to the courses.

I would also like to know if we can apply to five medicine courses with a foundation year or only four cause how it works for general medicine.

But ideally I would like to put two medicine foundation courses and three law courses would that be possible and if so what do I write in my personal statement?

Please I desperately need your guys insight about what I should do and what will be the best way forward. Thank you so much.
Make sure you meet all the widening participation criteria for foundation years as they are not open for everyone. If you are eligible then you can apply, but do keep in mind that you can only have 4 choices like normal medicine not 5 and foundation medicine is slightly more competitive than normal medicine.

Another thing is to make sure you really want to do medicine before applying and reflecting on why you want to medicine. Then you will have to write a PS entirely for medicine you cannot write a PS for both Law and Medicine and trying to write one for both will be seen as a red flag by unis and will only decrease your chances of getting into medicine.

My advice would be to apply for 4 medicine courses rather than 2 and writing your entire PS about medicine, if that is what you want to do. If you want to do Law then write your entire PS about Law and apply to 5 Law universities rather than 3 Law and 2 Medicine.
15mohsinfa
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
Make sure you meet all the widening participation criteria for foundation years as they are not open for everyone. If you are eligible then you can apply, but do keep in mind that you can only have 4 choices like normal medicine not 5 and foundation medicine is slightly more competitive than normal medicine.

Another thing is to make sure you really want to do medicine before applying and reflecting on why you want to medicine. Then you will have to write a PS entirely for medicine you cannot write a PS for both Law and Medicine and trying to write one for both will be seen as a red flag by unis and will only decrease your chances of getting into medicine.

My advice would be to apply for 4 medicine courses rather than 2 and writing your entire PS about medicine, if that is what you want to do. If you want to do Law then write your entire PS about Law and apply to 5 Law universities rather than 3 Law and 2 Medicine.
Thank you much appreciated, I do want to do medicine but I only meet the minimum for most unis and not all but would that be a problem?
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Personally for me, I applied to 3 medicine foundation courses and 1 regular; was rejected pre-interview by the regular one while offered an interview for the 3 foundation courses - one which I got an offer from. Also I'm predicted ABB (in art, biology and chemistry in that order).

You are right saying that foundation courses are more competitive, as there are less spaces available. However, if medicine is what you really want to do then it's better to take the risk than not knowing what could've happened if you didn't apply. Listen to SyedN and apply to 4 medicine courses.

Edit: apply strategically though. Look at which universities consider your strengths etc.
Last edited by yippy-yikes; 3 months ago
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you much appreciated, I do want to do medicine but I only meet the minimum for most unis and not all but would that be a problem?
As long as you select universities that do not rank/score GCSEs (i.e GCSE Heavy Med Schools like Oxford, Leeds and Cardiff) or A Levels then you should be fine just make sure to have a good UCAT/BMAT score then.
15mohsinfa
Rep:
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
Personally for me, I applied to 3 medicine foundation courses and 1 regular; was rejected pre-interview by the regular one while offered an interview for the 3 foundation courses - one which I got an offer from. Also I'm predicted ABB (in art, biology and chemistry in that order).

You are right saying that foundation courses are more competitive, as there are less spaces available. However, if medicine is what you really want to do then it's better to take the risk than not knowing what could've happened if you didn't apply. Listen to SyedN and apply to 4 medicine courses.

Edit: apply strategically though. Look at which universities consider your strengths etc.
Thank you for your response and Congratulation on your offer! If you don't mind me asking which courses did you apply for?
15mohsinfa
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
As long as you select universities that do not rank/score GCSEs (i.e GCSE Heavy Med Schools like Oxford, Leeds and Cardiff) or A Levels then you should be fine just make sure to have a good UCAT/BMAT score then.
Thank you for saying that considering I have a 5 in gcse maths so was already pretty mindfull of that, I was thinking of Plymouth, Hull York, Keele Universit, and the access to Leeds but would be able to as I have a 5 in math?
yippy-yikes
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for your response and Congratulation on your offer! If you don't mind me asking which courses did you apply for?
Thank you! :^_^:

Also I applied to Leeds (for the regular 5 year course), Lincoln, Lancaster (courses where I was rejected post-interview) and HYMS (where I'm currently holding an offer).
15mohsinfa
Rep:
Thank you! :^_^:

Also I applied to Leeds (for the regular 5 year course), Lincoln, Lancaster (courses where I was rejected post-interview) and HYMS (where I'm currently holding an offer).
That's great thank you! but did you apply through access to Leeds for the Leeds one or just normal?
yippy-yikes
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That's great thank you! but did you apply through access to Leeds for the Leeds one or just normal?
I applied to the normal 5 year course through access to Leeds. If I am correct, I think they take GCSEs quite heavily into account, hence I think I was rejected (also my admission score probably wasn't strong enough to hold my GCSEs aha)
15mohsinfa
Rep:
I applied to the normal 5 year course through access to Leeds. If I am correct, I think they take GCSEs quite heavily into account, hence I think I was rejected (also my admission score probably wasn't strong enough to hold my GCSEs aha)
I guess I shouldn't apply there too
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you for saying that considering I have a 5 in gcse maths so was already pretty mindfull of that, I was thinking of Plymouth, Hull York, Keele Universit, and the access to Leeds but would be able to as I have a 5 in math?
Plymouth - 5 GCSEs at 4 or higher which include English Language, Maths, 2 Sciences.
Hull York - 5 GCSEs at 4 or higher which include English Language, Maths, 2 Sciences.
Keele - 5 GCSEs at 4 or higher which include English Language, Maths and 6 for Sciences.
Leeds - 6 GCSEs at 4 or above which include Maths English Language, Biology and Chemistry.
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You are 100% correct for the 5 year course (Sorry I'm not sure if they score GCSEs for the foundation year). They rank the GCSEs as 3 points for an A* (9/8), 2 points for an A (7) and 1 point for a B (6) which means you should have really good GCSEs for Leeds as they are a GCSE heavy Med School.
yippy-yikes
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I guess I shouldn't apply there too
It wouldn't be the best option (assuming that you'd apply to the 5 year course, as AAB would be too high to apply to their foundation course).
(Original post by SyedN)
You are 100% correct for the 5 year course (Sorry I'm not sure if they score GCSEs for the foundation year). They rank the GCSEs as 3 points for an A* (9/8), 2 points for an A (7) and 1 point for a B (6) which means you should have really good GCSEs for Leeds as they are a GCSE heavy Med School.
Yeah (PRSOM), that was a mistake for me applying there :lol:

I'm not sure how they score applicants for the foundation course there. I will be sending a FOI request to foundation medicine courses though so hopefully we might find out :dontknow:
Last edited by yippy-yikes; 3 months ago
15mohsinfa
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
I would have 14 points and I haven't put anything for maths as it's a five it is good enough to apply or no?

cause otherwise I only have 3 courses I am eligible for
Last edited by 15mohsinfa; 3 months ago
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would have 14 points and I haven't put anything for maths as it's a five it is good enough to apply or no?

cause otherwise I only have 3 courses I am eligible for
Honestly, I have got no clue if they score GCSEs for the foundation year at Leeds I mainly know about the A100 course at Leeds because that's where I'm currently studying. For the foundation year they might just require you to have the minimum and that's it and they might not score it at all (GANFYD might know more about this than me.)
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It wouldn't be the best option (assuming that you'd apply to the 5 year course, as AAB would be too high to apply to their foundation course).

Yeah (PRSOM), that was a mistake for me applying there :lol:

I'm not sure how they score applicants for the foundation course there. I will be sending a FOI request to foundation medicine courses though so hopefully we might find out :dontknow:
That would be very helpful, thank you! Could you please link the FOI request here once you create one or get an answer?
15mohsinfa
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
Honestly, I have got no clue if they score GCSEs for the foundation year at Leeds I mainly know about the A100 course at Leeds because that's where I'm currently studying. For the foundation year they might just require you to have the minimum and that's it and they might not score it at all (GANFYD might know more about this than me.)
Great thank you so much for your guys help
SyedN
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Great thank you so much for your guys help
No worries let me know if you got anymore questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads