The Student Room Group

Classics Degree/ A Level Choices

Hi, I'm about to start year 11 and I've been thinking a lot about my A Level Choices lately, I switched them quite a lot since only 3 A levels is quite restricted and not an easy choice to make.
Anyway, I figured out that I want to take a path down Classics for Uni since I find it very interesting, possibly with a conversion to Law.

I was wondering which A Level choices would best compliment this? My current ideas all oriantate around Classical Civ, Philosophy, History, English Lit (possibly, I'm not the BEST at it but definitely better at it than at sciences and maths and I enjoy it more) and Psychology. I wanted to take some sort of Science subject in order to mix it up but I am not exceptional at them and I don't believe I could keep up with the content since I also don't particularly enjoy it. Maths is out of the question for me, I could definitely not manage with it. I wanted to do some language too, Latin or Ancient Greek but I have no base of it since I was not given the choice to study it at GCSE.

Anyone who could help or is at a similar situation find anything? Please?
Reply 1
Original post by viki1917
Hi, I'm about to start year 11 and I've been thinking a lot about my A Level Choices lately, I switched them quite a lot since only 3 A levels is quite restricted and not an easy choice to make.
Anyway, I figured out that I want to take a path down Classics for Uni since I find it very interesting, possibly with a conversion to Law.

I was wondering which A Level choices would best compliment this? My current ideas all oriantate around Classical Civ, Philosophy, History, English Lit (possibly, I'm not the BEST at it but definitely better at it than at sciences and maths and I enjoy it more) and Psychology. I wanted to take some sort of Science subject in order to mix it up but I am not exceptional at them and I don't believe I could keep up with the content since I also don't particularly enjoy it. Maths is out of the question for me, I could definitely not manage with it. I wanted to do some language too, Latin or Ancient Greek but I have no base of it since I was not given the choice to study it at GCSE.

Forgot to mention, I'm also highly interested in Psychology.
My best friend is starting Classics at Durham this September and is also thinking of maybe doing a conversion to Law later. For A-Levels she did Classics, History and Music. I had another friend do Classics, English Lit and Philosophy and another friend do Classics, History and English Lit. So ig those subjects seem to go well together. If you don't enjoy science then maybe Philosophy or English Lit would be better than Psychology. I didn't do Psychology but a couple of my friends did and from helping them revise I saw that it had a lot more Biology than what I expected (neuroscience specifically- some of the stuff I helped them with overlapped with what I did for Biology A Level too).
Reply 3
Original post by kaorimiyazono
My best friend is starting Classics at Durham this September and is also thinking of maybe doing a conversion to Law later. For A-Levels she did Classics, History and Music. I had another friend do Classics, English Lit and Philosophy and another friend do Classics, History and English Lit. So ig those subjects seem to go well together. If you don't enjoy science then maybe Philosophy or English Lit would be better than Psychology. I didn't do Psychology but a couple of my friends did and from helping them revise I saw that it had a lot more Biology than what I expected (neuroscience specifically- some of the stuff I helped them with overlapped with what I did for Biology A Level too).

Ah, I see! Thank you, I am actually really invested in how the mind works too, but my love for Classics and Philosphy would kind of in a way overlap that, with the whole ethics and philosophical aspect of it all. So I think that would benefit me, since I'm not TERRIBLE at GCSE Biology but doing more at A level would defo be too much for me. I'm seeing a lot of English Lit here. Would you say that's in a way required or would I be better off doing something such as for example Latin, since I have 0 knowledge of it? Also, was the whole essay based bit of it hard to handle, was it too much writing in the end? And, another thing is how much does Classics at A Level differ from Classical Civilization at A Level, to your knowledge? So sorry for all the bombarding of questions, i just haven't really had anyone else to speak to about this ahah!
Ah, I see! Thank you, I am actually really invested in how the mind works too, but my love for Classics and Philosphy would kind of in a way overlap that, with the whole ethics and philosophical aspect of it all. So I think that would benefit me, since I'm not TERRIBLE at GCSE Biology but doing more at A level would defo be too much for me. I'm seeing a lot of English Lit here. Would you say that's in a way required or would I be better off doing something such as for example Latin, since I have 0 knowledge of it? Also, was the whole essay based bit of it hard to handle, was it too much writing in the end? And, another thing is how much does Classics at A Level differ from Classical Civilization at A Level, to your knowledge? So sorry for all the bombarding of questions, i just haven't really had anyone else to speak to about this ahah!

I don't think English Lit is a requirement, just something that complements it well (my best friend got into Durham for Classics without English Lit for example) but you could double check entry requirements by having a look on different uni websites. Latin would be helpful. My friend is actually self-teaching Latin atm so she can be more prepared when she starts uni, but her course covers Latin (and Greek as well I think?) for people who didn't study it at school as she didn't do it for either GCSE nor A Level. I actually didn't do Classics, I just know all this from talking about it with my friend a lot so I'm really sorry but I can't answer your questions about the course itself. I hope someone else can come and answer more specific questions for you though. I hope I was at least a little bit helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I don't think English Lit is a requirement, just something that complements it well (my best friend got into Durham for Classics without English Lit for example) but you could double check entry requirements by having a look on different uni websites. Latin would be helpful. My friend is actually self-teaching Latin atm so she can be more prepared when she starts uni, but her course covers Latin (and Greek as well I think?) for people who didn't study it at school as she didn't do it for either GCSE nor A Level. I actually didn't do Classics, I just know all this from talking about it with my friend a lot so I'm really sorry but I can't answer your questions about the course itself. I hope someone else can come and answer more specific questions for you though. I hope I was at least a little bit helpful.

It was hopeful! That's okay don't worry about it, and thank you
It was hopeful! That's okay don't worry about it, and thank you

Np :smile: I'm glad I could help a little.

@viki1917

Based on this definition of the classics "Classics is a wide-ranging degree devoted to the study of the literature, history, philosophy, languages and archaeology of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds" I would suggest that Psychology is probably not the right choice for you. I have an MSc in Psychology and a degree in Sociology. I think Sociology would be a better fit, although it sounds like History, philosophy, and English Lit would be a great mix.

Sounds like a fascinating course, I am sure you will do great!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by Arden University
@viki1917

Based on this definition of the classics "Classics is a wide-ranging degree devoted to the study of the literature, history, philosophy, languages and archaeology of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds" I would suggest that Psychology is probably not the right choice for you. I have an MSc in Psychology and a degree in Sociology. I think Sociology would be a better fit, although it sounds like History, philosophy, and English Lit would be a great mix.

Sounds like a fascinating course, I am sure you will do great!

Marc

Thank you! I'm quite sure I would like an introduction to it from sixth form so I feel more in my waters when I begin the undergrad, so I would most likely do Philosophy, Classical Civ (since I know no latin or greek), and probably either History or English Lit, altho will still be looking into something else as I'm not sure I could manage with the essay lot in all essay based subjects. :smile:
Thank you! I'm quite sure I would like an introduction to it from sixth form so I feel more in my waters when I begin the undergrad, so I would most likely do Philosophy, Classical Civ (since I know no latin or greek), and probably either History or English Lit, altho will still be looking into something else as I'm not sure I could manage with the essay lot in all essay based subjects. :smile:

@viki1917 I'm delighted that you are considering your options with lots of depth. There is a great article here about careers with a classics degree which might interest you https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/classics

Marc
Reply 10
Original post by Arden University
@viki1917 I'm delighted that you are considering your options with lots of depth. There is a great article here about careers with a classics degree which might interest you https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/classics

Marc

Thank you, I took a look at it and it seems rather intriguing, I am quite interested in the research academic job area and possibly accounting. Hopefully I get the grades for it ahaha...

Hey! Have you reached a decision yet? I'm thinking of classics too and have to make my decisions by the end of the week : (

My A-levels options are probs Latin, Computer, RS, and Politics (then I'll drop one of the last two after Y12)

btw are you hoping to study Classics (Latin and Ancient Greek), or classical civilisations (about the classical world in general with not much language involved)?
Reply 12
Original post by RedVelvet16
Hey! Have you reached a decision yet? I'm thinking of classics too and have to make my decisions by the end of the week : (

My A-levels options are probs Latin, Computer, RS, and Politics (then I'll drop one of the last two after Y12)

btw are you hoping to study Classics (Latin and Ancient Greek), or classical civilisations (about the classical world in general with not much language involved)?

HI! i started this thread months ago god- i wish i was at that point then, i have only about 3 months left until my gcses its lowkey nerve wrecking but YES I DID DECIDE! I've applied to multiple sixth form/sixth form colleges with Classical Civilization, Philosophy and History/Ancient History (depending on which school i end up going to)
And I'm hoping to do the Classics (with language) at Uni and wouldve loved to take a language but unfortunately I'm not great at Spanish and it's the only language I could take forward from GCSE so unfortunately i cannot do it.
HI! i started this thread months ago god- i wish i was at that point then, i have only about 3 months left until my gcses its lowkey nerve wrecking but YES I DID DECIDE! I've applied to multiple sixth form/sixth form colleges with Classical Civilization, Philosophy and History/Ancient History (depending on which school i end up going to)
And I'm hoping to do the Classics (with language) at Uni and wouldve loved to take a language but unfortunately I'm not great at Spanish and it's the only language I could take forward from GCSE so unfortunately i cannot do it.

ughhh ikkk i've counted 69 days till my first GCSE exam 😭

good luck!! I'm sure you'll get into those schools!

i would suggest over the holidays investing in the john tayors latin at GCSE textbook as that goes over in proper detail everything in the GCSE grammar (and apparently there's not much more at A-level). if this is an issue i can always send over the online version. going to a summer school in y12 as well would be very good!!
Reply 14
ughhh ikkk i've counted 69 days till my first GCSE exam 😭

good luck!! I'm sure you'll get into those schools!

i would suggest over the holidays investing in the john tayors latin at GCSE textbook as that goes over in proper detail everything in the GCSE grammar (and apparently there's not much more at A-level). if this is an issue i can always send over the online version. going to a summer school in y12 as well would be very good!!

i promise i'm mature, not even gonna make a joke ab the 69 days💀💀
but yesss i was thinking it might be of benefit to do some extra classes on latin or buy a text book or etc or summer school it would look great on my applications etc ALSO GOOD LUCK TO TO U TOO AND TY
i promise i'm mature, not even gonna make a joke ab the 69 days💀💀
but yesss i was thinking it might be of benefit to do some extra classes on latin or buy a text book or etc or summer school it would look great on my applications etc ALSO GOOD LUCK TO TO U TOO AND TY

hahah omgg i literally just learnt what that number meant like last weekk
yhh and just pm me if you have any questions on latin (or even greek cos i'll be doing some over the summer!)
Reply 16
hahah omgg i literally just learnt what that number meant like last weekk
yhh and just pm me if you have any questions on latin (or even greek cos i'll be doing some over the summer!)

AINT NO WAY FR?? hahdhhhd
thank u vm :smile: i shall, me too
AINT NO WAY FR?? hahdhhhd
thank u vm :smile: i shall, me too

ughh yess i happen to be the innocent one of my friendship group and tbh idk if i want to change that or not 😂

good luck! and again lemme know if you need the textbooks

Quick Reply

Latest