Geometric distribution

Watch
Eris13696
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
What do they mean in d) “if x=6, x>4 adds nothing”, why does it add nothing?
Attached files
Last edited by Eris13696; 5 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
The probability of being equal to 6 and > 4 is the same as P(X=6). The exta condition > 4 does not change it.

As an altenative question related to this, work out
P(X>4 | X=6)
Last edited by mqb2766; 5 months ago
Eris13696
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
The probability of being equal to 6 and > 4 is the same as P(X=6). The exta condition > 4 does not change it.

As an altenative question related to this, work out
P(X>4 | X=6)
I’m still confused, how are they equal to P(X=6) because when multiplied they don’t give that,
Last edited by Eris13696; 5 months ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
I’m still confused, how are they equal to P(X=6) because when multiplied they don’t give that,
Yes
P(X=6 and X>4) = P(X=6)
That is what the question/answer says in the book.

For the "example" I gave, it should be clear (by definition and cond0tional probability equation) that
P(X>4 | X=6) = 1
Given that X=6, then it is > 4 with absolute certainty.
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Don't multiply them, they're not independent! As mqb2766 points out, one implies the other.
Eris13696
Rep:
(Original post by Gregorius)
Don't multiply them, they're not independent! As mqb2766 points out, one implies the other.
Oo I see, I thought the geometric distribution probabilities are independent, does that only apply to the probability of p and q and not the probabilities we are finding?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I guess you're talking about the independent trials used in the definition of the basic geometric distribution? Here the joint distribution is different and not independent, in fact its a variant of something like
P(X=6 and X=6) = P(X=6)
P(X=6 | X=6) = 1

If you assume independence,
P(X=6 and X=6) = P(X=6)^2
which can't be true in general as it must be P(X=6).

The independence (or not) of a joint distribution can't really be inferred from the marginal (single variable) distributions.
Eris13696
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
I guess you're talking about the independent trials used in the definition of the basic geometric distribution? Here the joint distribution is different and not independent, in fact its a variant of something like
P(X=6 and X=6) = P(X=6)
P(X=6 | X=6) = 1

If you assume independence,
P(X=6 and X=6) = P(X=6)^2
which can't be true in general as it must be P(X=6).

The independence (or not) of a joint distribution can't really be inferred from the marginal (single variable) distributions.
Ooh that makes sense, does this apply to all questions that come this way? Because for now I haven’t really been introduced to joint distribution so that’s why I’m a bit confused on the idea of what this is.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Ooh that makes sense, does this apply to all questions that come this way? Because for now I haven’t really been introduced to joint distribution so that’s why I’m a bit confused on the idea of what this is.
If you've not really come across independence / joint distributions, then I'd not worry about it too much and come back to it when you do it properly.

For this one, you (can) get the joint using the conditional
P(a and b) = P(a | b) P(b)
and if they were independent you'd have P(a | b) = P(a). In this case you have P(a | b) = 1, so they're not independent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.06%
October 2021 (189)
45.99%
November 2021 (42)
10.22%
December 2021 (54)
13.14%
January 2021 (45)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.49%