The Student Room Group

How do I tell a girl that I like her?

There is a girl in one of my classes at school and I really like her but I don't know how to ask her if she wants to be friends. Because I don't want to tell her that I like her or if she wants to be my friend because if she doesn't like me it will just be weird and I really don't want that. And it would be very sad for me. I think she does like me, we have spoken in class a few times, and when I was walking home one time I saw her and she smiled and waved, but I just don't know.

I have never told a girl that I liked her before and she is the first girl who I have actually really liked before. I honestly cannot stop thinking about her and thinking about all the ways I might tell her what I feel. But I am just too scared to tell her or even ask if she wants to be friends.

So does anyone have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

you dont't tell a girl you like her, you ask her on a date, it's less awkward <3 good luck !!
Original post by Anonymous
There is a girl in one of my classes at school and I really like her but I don't know how to ask her if she wants to be friends. Because I don't want to tell her that I like her or if she wants to be my friend because if she doesn't like me it will just be weird and I really don't want that. And it would be very sad for me. I think she does like me, we have spoken in class a few times, and when I was walking home one time I saw her and she smiled and waved, but I just don't know.

I have never told a girl that I liked her before and she is the first girl who I have actually really liked before. I honestly cannot stop thinking about her and thinking about all the ways I might tell her what I feel. But I am just too scared to tell her or even ask if she wants to be friends.

Just have the courage and go and talk to her first and you don’t have to tell her that you really like her straight away! Good Luck!

You've just got to bite the bullet and ask her. Maybe don't tell her exactly how you feel (it can sometimes be overwheming)... but there's certainly no harm in letting her know that you think she's attractive and you'd like to "hang-out" (or whatever it is teenagers do these days).

I'll give you the worst case scenarios of either case:-

You ask her out, she says "No":- You feel a bit rubbish for about a week or so, but then you get over it, you notice summer's here, lockdown is lifted, so there's lots of other girls about... so you quickly find someone new to obsess over (and by the time school starts, you're well and truly over her.

You don't ask her out because you're too scared etc:- She stops smiling and starts ignoring you completely because she's started seeing Dexter in the year above you. You challenge her about it, and she says that she didn't think you were interested, so she moved on... right before Dexter gives you a dirty look . You really kick yourself for not saying something to her.

Which would you rather be?!? Ball's in your court mate.
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
You've just got to bite the bullet and ask her. Maybe don't tell her exactly how you feel (it can sometimes be overwheming)... but there's certainly no harm in letting her know that you think she's attractive and you'd like to "hang-out" (or whatever it is teenagers do these days).

You ask her out, she says "No":- You feel a bit rubbish for about a week or so, but then you get over it, you notice summer's here, lockdown is lifted, so there's lots of other girls about... so you quickly find someone new to obsess over (and by the time school starts, you're well and truly over her.

You don't ask her out because you're too scared etc:- She stops smiling and starts ignoring you completely because she's started seeing Dexter in the year above you. You challenge her about it, and she says that she didn't think you were interested, so she moved on... right before Dexter gives you a dirty look . You really kick yourself for not saying something to her.

I don't have her phone number so I'll have to wait till I'm back at school to tell her. And there are no other girls - she is the only one, so if I mess it up then what do I do? We'll still be in the same class next year so it will be really weird if she just says no. And I'll have to see her in class so I'll never be able to get over her.
Reply 5
Original post by akuaaaaaa
you dont't tell a girl you like her, you ask her on a date, it's less awkward <3 good luck !!

Where do people go on dates??? I've never been on one before so any advice if I so someday ask her out on a date?
Where do people go on dates??? I've never been on one before so any advice if I so someday ask her out on a date?

The cinema? A restaurant? Mcdonalds?
Reply 7

And the second outcome assumes she is interested in me- she might just be being nice because she is a nice person.
Be bold.. we want someone to literally be able to grab us and toss around. Lean in for a kiss, don't be hesitant at all or I'll be put off.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by cheerIeader
Be bold.. we want someone to literally be able to grab us and toss around. Lean in for a kiss, don't be hesitant at all or I'll be put off.

If I did that I'd have a restraining order waiting for me.
Original post by urlocalinmate
If I did that I'd have a restraining order waiting for me.

Oh please. This is the green light to say that it's what we find attractive, for a man to lay down the law hun.
Oh please. This is the green light to say that it's what we find attractive, for a man to lay down the law hun.

Oke

thats you, not necessarily what everyone else wants hun.
Original post by AmIReallyHere
thats you, not necessarily what everyone else wants hun.

Well any girl would if the man was confident/hot unless frigid.
I don't have her phone number so I'll have to wait till I'm back at school to tell her. And there are no other girls - she is the only one, so if I mess it up then what do I do? We'll still be in the same class next year so it will be really weird if she just says no. And I'll have to see her in class so I'll never be able to get over her.

It's really not that big a deal. Rejections only really become something when someone is being unreasonable about it. If you don't ask her out in front of the class, chances are no one is ever going to find out (she may tell a couple of her girlfriends... but that's about it). And yes, I know it seems like she's the only one right now, but you'll be surprised how well you cope with it, and how quickly you'll notice other girls.

On the other hand, if she did make a big deal about it, and embarrass you, then she's done you a favour... she's shown her true colours to you straight away, instead of messing with your head with stupid mind games some 2-3 months down the line.

And the second outcome assumes she is interested in me- she might just be being nice because she is a nice person.

Mate, you're really over-thinking this. I'll warn you now, you risk working yourself up so much about this, you never make a move on anyone ("paralysis by analysis").

... And what i've described is the WORST CASE SCENARIO... IF she didn't fancy you, then it's not that big a deal if you didn't ask her out. Even so, as you said, she's a nice person, so even if you did ask her and she wasn't interested, it's extremely unlikely she'll be unpleasant about it. Even if she doesn't actually fancy you, that doesn't mean to say that she won't say "Yes" if you asked her out.

EDIT:- From re-reading your post, I'd say there's a good chance that she likes you. Not certain, but there are some good signs there. Having said that, there's every chance that she may have gone off you by the time term starts again (a lot can happen in the summer holidays, and people your age are generally fickle). So yes, there's a chance you've missed out by the time you go back to school, but if she still smiles at you etc. it's in your interest to ask her on a date (even if it's hanging out at break time lol)
(edited 2 years ago)
It's really not that big a deal. Rejections only really become something when someone is being unreasonable about it. If you don't ask her out in front of the class, chances are no one is ever going to find out (she may tell a couple of her girlfriends... but that's about it). And yes, I know it seems like she's the only one right now, but you'll be surprised how well you cope with it, and how quickly you'll notice other girls.

On the other hand, if she did make a big deal about it, and embarrass you, then she's done you a favour... she's shown her true colours to you straight away, instead of messing with your head with stupid mind games some 2-3 months down the line.

Mate, you're really over-thinking this. I'll warn you now, you risk working yourself up so much about this, you never make a move on anyone ("paralysis by analysis").

... And what i've described is the WORST CASE SCENARIO... IF she didn't fancy you, then it's not that big a deal if you didn't ask her out. Even so, as you said, she's a nice person, so even if you did ask her and she wasn't interested, it's extremely unlikely she'll be unpleasant about it. Even if she doesn't actually fancy you, that doesn't mean to say that she won't say "Yes" if you asked her out.

EDIT:- From re-reading your post, I'd say there's a good chance that she likes you. Not certain, but there are some good signs there. Having said that, there's every chance that she may have gone off you by the time term starts again (a lot can happen in the summer holidays, and people your age are generally fickle). So yes, there's a chance you've missed out by the time you go back to school, but if she still smiles at you etc. it's in your interest to ask her on a date (even if it's hanging out at break time lol)

I'm not worried about her embarrassing me in front of the whole class because it's just not something that she would do - she is quite shy and just a lovely person so I don't think she would tell everyone in the class. What I am worried about is if she does like me as a friend, but if I were to ask her out then she might not want to be friends anymore, because she might find it awkward. Then I would have lost what could have been a good friend. But more than this is I don't want her to reject me - all the time I don't ask her there is still a chance that she does like me, but if she rejects me then there is no chance we would ever be together.

And I know you say there will be other girls but there haven't been any that I have liked before her. I've had feelings for her since about the start of the year but I have just been too scared to say anything, and she really does feel like the only girl I could ever like. So if she doesn't feel the same way as I do about her then what?

But there have been a few times when she's looked at me as if she genuinely did like me. And when I saw her that one time on my way home her eyes sort of lit up when she saw me and I did have some hope that she did like me. But I don't know if I am just imagining this or seeing what I want to see.

Anyway, say I do ask her out in September, what should I say? Do I keep it casual at first, ask her if she wants to go out someone but just as friends and see what happens? Or do I tell her how I haven't stopped thinking about her all summer and genuinely and truly like her?
I would make sure you break the ice & talk to her first. Something mundane & everyday will do - you need her to be familiar with you rather than just a guy she notices, smiles & possibly eye up. Sure she may date you even if she isn't familiar with you but odds are she'll feel more comfortable if you have spoken a little before. You don't need for it to be extensive as that could lead nowhere & some other dude may ask her out if you spend exhaustive time at it.

So after a few words a few times to get familiar then try a hang out sort of date I would as it's more casual so park, shops, etc. Up to you though whatever you feel natural in the situation.

I kind of wish I had the sort of info on this board when I was younger as when I was your age there was nothing to go by. Just the same dilemma of telling a girl you liked her, the big 'ask out' bs and finding out the girl already had a guy. That and the guy having the weight placed upon him of doing that (and probably still is) but not knowing that there was probably better ways about it & not having the info around like today. A real pain in the a*se it was. Wish I was a girl, life so much easier!
Or do I tell her how I haven't stopped thinking about her all summer and genuinely and truly like her?

That is pretty high stakes, if the girl really likes you, doesn't have a bf and likes what she hears it will play real well, but if she is not real heavily into you it's likely not play so well is my thoughts, it may even freak her out a bit. I would just move in more steady especially if you haven't talked to her in an everyday way before. Her smile & wave might just be everyday friendliness for all you know, odds are it's likely more but probably best not to get carried away I think.
Original post by Gavin2016
Wish I was a girl, life so much easier!

are you joking or did you not pay attention to periods, as well as the patriarchal society aqhqjss :zomg:
(edited 2 years ago)
I literally just tell people I like them if I like them lol. Whats the big deal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending