The Student Room Group

what do the different apprenticeship levels mean?

hello, I want to do an apprenticeship but the levels are confusing. I know that a level 3 apprenticeship is like A level but what about the rest. What apprenticeship level is equal to university?
The level 6 apprenticeship is equivalent to a uni degree. There are not many available as they're kinda new, and they're also very competitive.
Level 1 - SATs
Level 2 - GCSE (Intermediate Apprenticeship)
Level 3 - A level - NDip (Advanced Apprenticeship)
Level 4 - HNC (Higher Apprenticeship)
Level 5 - HND - Foundation Degree (Higher App...)
Level 6 - Bachelors Degree (Degree Apprenticeship)
Level 7 - Masters Degree - PGDip (Degree App...)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chris2892
Level 1 - SATs
Level 2 - GCSE
Level 3 - A level - NDip
Level 4 - HNC
Level 5 - HND
Level 6 - Bachelors Degree
Level 7 - Masters Degree - PGDip

Oh wow I didn't realise it went down all the way to SATs I :shock:
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Oh wow I didn't realise it went down all the way to SATs I :shock:

I don’t believe there are level 1 apprenticeships, but for completeness, I included the level.

If you don’t have the GCSEs for a level 2, you have to sit functional skills courses alongside your apprenticeship.

I did levels 2 to 6, took 8 years of part-time study.
I don’t believe there are level 1 apprenticeships, but for completeness, I included the level.

If you don’t have the GCSEs for a level 2, you have to sit functional skills courses alongside your apprenticeship.

I did levels 2 to 6, took 8 years of part-time study.

Ah okay, I was wondering why an apprenticeship aimed at kids who are 10-11 would be very helpful asdfgjk (although I suppose you have to start somewhere)
(edited 2 years ago)
Ah okay, I was wondering why an apprenticeship aimed at kids who are 11-12 would be very helpful asdfgjk (although I suppose you have to start somewhere)

It’s the equivilant level, but not necessarily the typical age.

I’ve studied alongside people of all ages, from ex military, those changing trade/industry, to failed business owners, and others looking to fill skill gaps for promotions.
(edited 2 years ago)
It’s the equivilant level, but not necessarily the typical age.

That's what I meant by "aimed at" my phrasing isn't the best at times :colondollar:
That's what I meant by "aimed at" my phrasing isn't the best at times :colondollar:

I wanna do an apprenticeship but the highest levels I find are level 4. would that pretty much mean I'm doing a foundation degree?
Original post by IhopeUfail
I wanna do an apprenticeship but the highest levels I find are level 4. would that pretty much mean I'm doing a foundation degree?

It should incorporate a level 4 and 5, which makes up a higher apprenticeship.

You’d likely be completing either a foundation degree or a HNC and a HND.

The level 6 would be a 2 year top-up to Bachelors, and is usually offered by the employer on successful completion of the higher level apprenticeship. This is what happened with me anyway.

It also allows you options to change your degree, for example, mechanical engineering to manufacturing engineering, which is what two of my colleagues did.
It should incorporate a level 4 and 5, which makes up a higher apprenticeship.

You’d likely be completing either a foundation degree or a HNC and a HND.

The level 6 would be a 2 year top-up to Bachelors, and is usually offered by the employer on successful completion of the higher level apprenticeship. This is what happened with me anyway.

It also allows you options to change your degree, for example, mechanical engineering to manufacturing engineering, which is what two of my colleagues did.

thank you, so do all higher apprenticeships allow you to progress to even higher apprenticeships upon completion?.
Original post by IhopeUfail
thank you, so do all higher apprenticeships allow you to progress to even higher apprenticeships upon completion?.

It’s entirely up to the employer, so I couldn’t say for sure, but it makes sense that they would if you performed as expected.
Hey, so if I get 3 Distinctions (DDD) in my Level 3 BTECs, would it sound silly to do a Level 2 apprenticeship afterwards as it’s the only ones I can find that interests me?
Original post by Kyle McNeil
Hey, so if I get 3 Distinctions (DDD) in my Level 3 BTECs, would it sound silly to do a Level 2 apprenticeship afterwards as it’s the only ones I can find that interests me?

It’s not silly to do something you’re interested in.
Saying that, you could get the qualifications whilst they’re free, and then do something else in the future if needed. It’s a possibility your interests may change or be better informed through further education.

Worth mentioning that with a level 3 qualification, you’re also eligible to do a 3-year level 4 higher or 5-year level 6 degree apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending