The Student Room Group

What to say to universities in the clearing call???????

what do you need to say and ack in that call to get a place ?
Original post by ABCEZ

All you need is your UCAS/clearing number, your grades (probably including your GCSE English/Maths) and what course you want to apply for. Typically you won’t be asked for much more than that.
Original post by ABCEZ

Hi @ABCEZ!

When you contact a University, you should try and have an idea of what courses you're interested in. I would recommend going onto their website beforehand and looking at some courses which interest you and you may have the grades for. For example, the University of Kent's clearing website is live now, where you can see courses which are in Clearing and their requirements: https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing

You can typically apply online, and Universities prefer this, but if you decide to call they will walk you through the steps to applying for particular courses. On the phone call it's your time to ask about more information for the course, the University, the campus and more. Ask what public transport is like, is the library sufficient, is there a big night life. Topics like that.

I hope this has helped - but feel free to ask more questions if needed!
Nathan
UKC Rep
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi @ABCEZ!

When you contact a University, you should try and have an idea of what courses you're interested in. I would recommend going onto their website beforehand and looking at some courses which interest you and you may have the grades for. For example, the University of Kent's clearing website is live now, where you can see courses which are in Clearing and their requirements: https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing

You can typically apply online, and Universities prefer this, but if you decide to call they will walk you through the steps to applying for particular courses. On the phone call it's your time to ask about more information for the course, the University, the campus and more. Ask what public transport is like, is the library sufficient, is there a big night life. Topics like that.

I hope this has helped - but feel free to ask more questions if needed!
Nathan
UKC Rep

do they ask like "Why do you want to study here? "question along those lines or but ur details so they can fill their spaces because it is a business at the end of the day ?/??
Original post by ABCEZ
do they ask like "Why do you want to study here? "question along those lines or but ur details so they can fill their spaces because it is a business at the end of the day ?/??

It depends. Clearing phonecalls can be like an informal interview, or some places will just take your details, look at your application, and then contact you with a decision.

You should have answers prepared to basic questions like "Why do you want to study at X uni?" and "Why do you want to study this course?". You could also be asked about parts of your PS.

You may find this thread useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7055567
Original post by ABCEZ

A typical call with ask for some info from you and give you the opportunity to ask some questions too. Why not take this quiz, that mimics a Clearing call you could have to get some ideas of what kind of conversation you may have on the phone?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/how-well-would-you-do-on-a-clearing-call

Good luck tomorrow :heart:
Original post by ABCEZ

I don't believe so. I'm working for the University of Kent's hotline this week, and we've not been instructed to ask questions like that. They may ask things like that if you're unsure of what course to want to study, as they can help guide you to the perfect one. But if you're wanting to apply for Clearing over the phone, it'll be questions like "What course do you want to study?" "What are your grades/qualifications?" "What is your D.O.B?" just to fill out the form.

Every hotline person is there to help you - so try not to stress yourself too much :smile: But if you are feeling nervous, see if they've got an online application you can fill in instead (they normally do)!

Best of luck!

Nathan
UKC Rep
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by StrawberryDreams
A typical call with ask for some info from you and give you the opportunity to ask some questions too. Why not take this quiz, that mimics a Clearing call you could have to get some ideas of what kind of conversation you may have on the phone?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/how-well-would-you-do-on-a-clearing-call

Good luck tomorrow :heart:

thank you I am going to need the all the luck I can get
Original post by ABCEZ
thank you I am going to need the all the luck I can get

Deep breaths and trying to keep calm this afternoon/evening will really help, promise. Also, getting prepared for all eventualities is the best way to feel ready for tomorrow, and you're doing the right thing by asking lots of questions now.

We're here if you need us tomorrow at all :hugs:
Original post by cheerIeader
Tell them the course you want and how much you deserve it.
If they're being difficult (which they often will be) you NEED to tell them your story. Nobody deserves that spot more than you do and if you need to fabricate a few lies to get that spot then you should be all hands on deck in formulating one.

Most unis will not give you a spot on the basis of a sob story. Any extenuating circumstances will need to be verified.

Lying to get a uni place is not a good idea, as if the uni finds out you have obtained a place fraudulently, your place can be withdrawn.

Normally, the initial person you speak to will not be the decision maker, anyway.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Most unis will not give you a spot on the basis of a sob story. Any extenuating circumstances will need to be verified.

Lying to get a uni place is not a good idea, as if the uni finds out you have obtained a place fraudulently, your place can be withdrawn.

Normally, the initial person you speak to will not be the decision maker, anyway.

You're right. I've had some time to think about your comment and decided nobody deserves to have any extenuating circumstances anyway given that they didn't actually sit the exams this year. The teachers were the best people to predict grades and the students need to hard-swallow the grades they were given and the uni places.
(edited 2 years ago)
You're right. I've had some time to think about your comment and decided nobody deserves to have any extenuating circumstances anyway given that they didn't actually sit the exams this year. The teachers were the best people to predict grades and the students need to hard-swallow the grades they were given and the uni places.

Well, no.

If students have specific circumstances they feel weren't addressed properly, then there is a route to address this via appeals.

The route to getting a uni place is never lying to the university.
Tell them the course you want and how much you deserve it.
If they're being difficult (which they often will be) you NEED to tell them your story. Nobody deserves that spot more than you do and if you need to fabricate a few lies to get that spot then you should be all hands on deck in formulating one.

The people on the phones don’t have the power to override the entry requirements they’ve been given.

Extenuating circumstances aren’t relevant in clearing. Applicants should notify their firm and insurance universities of those circumstances prior to results day and should have had their referee verify the situation.

Lies are easily spotted (and won’t make influence a clearing decision - at least not positively) You’d be flagged as a time waster.

It's important to understand that the people on the phones do not offer the places. They are there to help you submit an application, which is considered my somebody else.
Lying on that application would have it disqualified and you would not get a place at that University and it would be flagged.

If there are specific circumstances which needed to be addressed with exam results, that it something that should be appealed through the relevant exam board and school
Original post by ABCEZ

Hey,

A good tip we would advise is to have your qualifications at hand as they will be the main topic on the clearing call.

At Liverpool Hope University we have our clearing lines currently open to call us at 0151 291 3636 and they will be open tomorrow 10th August at 7:30 am to 6:30pm as well as through out the week.

Feel free to get in touch with a member of our team to discuss your clearing options.

All the best tomorrow! :smile:

Nathan :groovy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending