Very confused on how to do research for my dissertation pls help

Watch this thread
username4465972
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m doing secondary research for my dissertation and the method/research section is the most confusing for me . My research question is based on sexism in the UK so I don’t know where to start on the research section . How does secondary research work ??
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Hannahzx)
I’m doing secondary research for my dissertation and the method/research section is the most confusing for me . My research question is based on sexism in the UK so I don’t know where to start on the research section . How does secondary research work ??
Hi! Hannahzx

This website explains the difference between primary and secondary data really well by providing examples. https://thesiswritingservice.net/sec...ary%20research.

I would start by finding evidence of sexism in the UK by looking through journal articles. But I think you need to narrow this research question. Sexism regarding what specifically? Dress, opportunity in the workplace, sport, crime (offender or victim profiling)....? Then find a recent report about this specific finding of sexism in the UK that shows how relevant your topic is. You'll need to identify gaps in previous literature that show how it doesn't fully show how sexism is presented in the UK. This gap is what you need to research yourself to help fill this gap.

In my dissertation, in the method area, I explained it was secondary research and then how I conducted it. e.g search key terms (make a list of this as you research!). Then placing found data in a table to organise it into relevant chapters/topic areas for your dissertation.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.8%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.28%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.52%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (23)
17.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.55%

Watched Threads