Today i found out my brother is colorist.

Watch
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
I think it may well be. In sub-Saharan Africa, there is a lot of "White-Worship", especially in the more rural parts where white people are even less common. Honestly, if you (as a white person) went to Africa, you'd be treated like a celebrity in many parts (I remember my sister's BF came with us on a family trip once, and he was completely overwhelmed by the attention he got). So I guess there is an element that if you're lighter skinned, your that bit closer to being White.

AmIReallyHere you would probably be in a better position to answer this question, seeing as you're living out there?
I'm in the UK askdjhsdjkf I don't remember ever saying i lived in Africa - but yes I will say that when I have visited Cameroon and Cote d'Ivoire - there was certainly a lot of white-worship D:
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
Napp again, you're missing the main point of the post.

The OP's brother is free to fancy whoever he wants, and call it his "preferences" (or whatever the **** you want to call it). The problem here is the derogatory manner in which he (and a lot of other people) refer to dark-skinned black people... and TBH, his language is quite typical; in fact, that's one of the "nicer" examples I've seen. The fact that the OP has said "Although im lightskin, i just feel sad for my darkskin sisters" should tell you that this is something that stems beyond her brother's "preferences".

For example, I know not every white person is a fan of dark coffee, but the vast majority of them will at least try and be nice / tactful about it (apart from those who are actually racist obviously). The problem within the black community is that it's supposedly openly accepted to be rude and about dark-skinned people. I guess the closest white equivalent is that some people think it's OK to take the mick out of Ginger / red-head people.
Again what?
As to the rest of this, read my first post..
Meh, maybe so, itsd a phenomena within most groups, Asians being another stand out example where 'light is right' and has been like that for eons, despite certain quarters trying to blame colonisation for it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Its clearly wrong, I'm seeing a lot of things talking about its just his preference but regardless what he's saying is soo rude.

As a black man I feel sorry for what black women have to go through. I think its disgusting being told your not attractive because your too dark. As I see it Black is Black. Regardless if your skin is lighter or darker.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Its clearly wrong, I'm seeing a lot of things talking about its just his preference but regardless what he's saying is soo rude.

As a black man I feel sorry for what black women have to go through. I think its disgusting being told your not attractive because your too dark. As I see it Black is Black. Regardless if your skin is lighter or darker.
What exactly is 'black is black' meant to mean? Blacks are not one homogenous blob either in terms of culture, nationality, culture, language etc.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
What exactly is 'black is black' meant to mean? Blacks are not one homogenous blob either in terms of culture, nationality, culture, language etc.
What I mean is that I don’t think it’s fair to categorise black people into light skin or dark skin.
Obviously I respect different cultures and nationalities etc and these differences should be celebrated
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What I mean is that I don’t think it’s fair to categorise black people into light skin or dark skin.
Obviously I respect different cultures and nationalities etc and these differences should be celebrated
Given its done for all peoples why not blacks, out of interest? Equally, why should difference be 'celebrated'? That is opposed to simply acknowledging it. After all, everyone is different but i see no reason to throw a party over that fact?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People of a range of racial backgrounds & ethnicities do have many skin tone connected attraction dealbreakers, beauty standards and trends though.
Whether it is an obsession with obtaining the 'healthy tanned' look through dodgy injections/ridiculous use of uv tanning salons several times a week, expensive skin lightening treatments, avoiding much involvement with albinos or the trend classifications widespread throughout much of latin american & spanish territories.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Given its done for all peoples why not blacks, out of interest? Equally, why should difference be 'celebrated'? That is opposed to simply acknowledging it. After all, everyone is different but i see no reason to throw a party over that fact?
A lot of people are deeply uncomfortable with the modern day divergence from the MLK message of focusing on personal character and individual choices, not skin tone appearance.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
I’m not saying that it should happen in other races

Also I understand your point about acknowledging differences and I’m not against it. Personally for me I think that celebrating differences can bring communities together and raise awareness but I accept that it can also have adverse effects
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
People of a range of racial backgrounds & ethnicities do have many skin tone connected attraction dealbreakers, beauty standards and trends though.
Whether it is an obsession with obtaining the 'healthy tanned' look through dodgy injections/ridiculous use of uv tanning salons several times a week, expensive skin lightening treatments, avoiding much involvement with albinos or the trend classifications widespread throughout much of latin american & spanish territories.
Fair enough. I mean like I say I’m not completely against people having skin tone related dealbreakers. However what I will say is that the way that the OPs brother has made his preference clear comes across as very rude. If he doesn’t want to date dark skin girls fine but he doesn’t need to start insulting them.
Old Skool Freak
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Again what?
I apologise for the confusion here, I'll try and explain:-

The "Again" wasn't aimed at you specifically, it's just at first glance, your post appeared to be another one that's completely overlooking the wider issue of colourism within black / Asian communities. Please see my previous post to the one that triggered me lol

I could be completely wrong, but I felt that was the overall tone of what the OP was getting at, and she was just disappointed that her brother was contributing to it. As I said, I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but if the OP is still following this, perhaps she would like to clarify?

As to the rest of this, read my first post..

Meh, maybe so, itsd a phenomena within most groups, Asians being another stand out example where 'light is right' and has been like that for eons, despite certain quarters trying to blame colonisation for it.
Personally, I don't care where it comes from, IMHO, it just sucks that it's here in the first place, and skin colour seems to contribute soo much to beauty, instead of the more classic ideals of beauty (e.g. good physique, good facial symmetry / proportions; etc.).

Of course, being a dark-skinned black person, it's something that I feel particularly strongly about, as it's had an adverse affect on me throughout my life (It sounds like AmIReallyHere and Anonymous #2 also see it). I'm assuming you're white, so I can get that you perhaps have more of an "It is what it is" attitude about it, which is fair enough as it's not your problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (224)
56.57%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
12.63%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.36%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9.09%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.55%

Watched Threads