Applying for Medical School with Weird Resits

Watch this thread
malcolmmorrison
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello, I'm a student from Scotland who dropped out in the final months of the 2021 academic year (due to various mental health reasons related to the pandemic) and I had been intent on applying to med school this year. In Scotland we need Advanced Highers to progress to the med school application process, and I had been doing really well right up to the moment I wasn't.

Basically, my question is this: if I were to resit these exams next year (and if someone could explain to me how exactly I'd go about doing this in Scotland) and do well, would I be able to apply at the end of next year? I would really rather not have to do an additional 4 years of undergrad in a subject I'm not TRULY invested in, just so I could apply to medicine.

Surely a pandemic would be enough to warrant medical schools accepting resits? I didn't even sit the exams, so I wouldn't technically be 'resitting' them at all. The likely reality is that I won't be able to do this, and will have to do an undergrad in a related field, but one can dream.

Grades:
Nat5 AAAAAAA
Higher: AAAAAA + AA predicted in S6
Advanced Higher: AA predicted in S6

If someone could please get back to me on this that would be great. I am pursuing official channels but you know how that usually goes.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by malcolmmorrison)
Hello, I'm a student from Scotland who dropped out in the final months of the 2021 academic year (due to various mental health reasons related to the pandemic) and I had been intent on applying to med school this year. In Scotland we need Advanced Highers to progress to the med school application process, and I had been doing really well right up to the moment I wasn't.

Basically, my question is this: if I were to resit these exams next year (and if someone could explain to me how exactly I'd go about doing this in Scotland) and do well, would I be able to apply at the end of next year? I would really rather not have to do an additional 4 years of undergrad in a subject I'm not TRULY invested in, just so I could apply to medicine.

Surely a pandemic would be enough to warrant medical schools accepting resits? I didn't even sit the exams, so I wouldn't technically be 'resitting' them at all. The likely reality is that I won't be able to do this, and will have to do an undergrad in a related field, but one can dream.

Grades:
Nat5 AAAAAAA

If someone could please get back to me on this that would be great. I am pursuing official channels but you know how that usually goes.
Hopefully we can get this moved to medicine where you'll get the best advice

In general, about 20 med schools accept resit exams and that would be fine, but not sure if that includes any Scottish schools. A gap year and resitting is without a doubt your best option and as you say much easier than starting a new degree.

GANFYD may be able to add anything I've missed
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

Grades:
Nat5 AAAAAAA

Do you have anything 'official' documenting your mental health (eg, from your GP)? That might give you more of a justification for doing resits.

Taking this from Edinburgh's website for example: (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...amme&code=A100)
All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject. Those applying with resit qualifications will not be entered into the selection system unless under very exceptional circumstances (for which verified evidence has been provided prior to UCAS application).
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago

Grades:
Nat5 AAAAAAA

You are going to need to apply to unis for Extenuating circumstances if you want to apply to Scottish med schools, as none of them will routinely look at resits, I'm afraid. You would need medical evidence etc to apply for this.
Taking longer than the usual timeframe (1 year for AHs) to obtain your grades is considered a resit in this scenario.
Lot of med schools have specific forms for ExCircs, so check out websites and call to contirm if not clear. But usually, a med school has to have accepted/agreed the conditions before you apply, so if you want to apply in Oct, with pending grades, you need to crack on. If you want to apply in 2022 for 2023 entry, then you have plenty of time.
There are English med schools who would be happy with your resits, but depends if you are happy to stray south of the border, given the funding differences?
malcolmmorrison
Rep:
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Do you have anything 'official' documenting your mental health (eg, from your GP)? That might give you more of a justification for doing resits.

Taking this from Edinburgh's website for example: (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...amme&code=A100)
All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject. Those applying with resit qualifications will not be entered into the selection system unless under very exceptional circumstances (for which verified evidence has been provided prior to UCAS application).
Well first of all I didn't actually do the exam so I don't know if that would actually count as 're-sitting' - the main problem is the fact that some Scottish universities want you to complete AHs within S6 and won't allow you to self-study out of school on your own time which just...sucks. I've emailed them asking if this will be a problem - I suspect it will be.

Regarding the documentation thing, no, I don't, but it really wouldn't be hard to get some. I went to A&E twice that year to prevent a game-end from happening and I'm finally seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow as well. So there'll be some form of documentation proving that along with whatever I get from the psychiatrist / eventually my GP.
malcolmmorrison
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
You are going to need to apply to unis for Extenuating circumstances if you want to apply to Scottish med schools, as none of them will routinely look at resits, I'm afraid. You would need medical evidence etc to apply for this.
Taking longer than the usual timeframe (1 year for AHs) to obtain your grades is considered a resit in this scenario.
Lot of med schools have specific forms for ExCircs, so check out websites and call to contirm if not clear. But usually, a med school has to have accepted/agreed the conditions before you apply, so if you want to apply in Oct, with pending grades, you need to crack on. If you want to apply in 2022 for 2023 entry, then you have plenty of time.
There are English med schools who would be happy with your resits, but depends if you are happy to stray south of the border, given the funding differences?
Ah I see, so it would still count as a resit. Oh well, then, guess if I take this route I'm most likely applying to English universities.Yeah I'll be applying for 2022 entry since I didn't sit the exam this year. I've checked and I've found quite a few English uni's I'd be happy studying at (just not so much the price) but I'd prefer to pay than to potentially miss 2-3 years out of my career.

This is all sort of last-minute so I'll have to arrange with my school to see if I can sit exams next year or not. They may be reluctant as they saw how bad I was getting mentally. We'll see. Thank you for your reply.
malcolmmorrison
Rep:
k

(Original post by becausethenight)
Hopefully we can get this moved to medicine where you'll get the best advice

In general, about 20 med schools accept resit exams and that would be fine, but not sure if that includes any Scottish schools. A gap year and resitting is without a doubt your best option and as you say much easier than starting a new degree.

GANFYD may be able to add anything I've missed
Okay thank you so much, this is really reassuring.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Ah I see, so it would still count as a resit. Oh well, then, guess if I take this route I'm most likely applying to English universities.Yeah I'll be applying for 2022 entry since I didn't sit the exam this year. I've checked and I've found quite a few English uni's I'd be happy studying at (just not so much the price) but I'd prefer to pay than to potentially miss 2-3 years out of my career.

This is all sort of last-minute so I'll have to arrange with my school to see if I can sit exams next year or not. They may be reluctant as they saw how bad I was getting mentally. We'll see. Thank you for your reply.
2022 entry would mean applying this October, with predicted results, UCAT, PS etc.
If you apply NEXT October, with achieved results, you would start 2023 and do UCAT, PS etc next summer for an Oct application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.58%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.13%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.55%

Watched Threads