The Student Room Group

Is this a good A level combo

Thinking of studying philosophy, religious studies and psychology/sociologyI prefer psychology over sociology since I find it more interesting, I've taken RS for GCSEs and philosophy is just something I thought would be interesting.

Scroll to see replies

Are there any specific courses you want to apply for at university?
It's quite hard to say whether they are good choices or not without knowing what course you plan to do.
Original post by skejrjoen
Thinking of studying philosophy, religious studies and psychology/sociologyI prefer psychology over sociology since I find it more interesting, I've taken RS for GCSEs and philosophy is just something I thought would be interesting.

I think the most important question is, do you find these subjects interesting? Have you looked at the course specifications to see if you like the modules that you will be studying at A levels? Do you have any career ideas? (don't stress if you don't!)
I did A Level religious studies and it was 1/3 Philosophy, 1/3 Ethics and 1/3 Christianity. If the religious studies at your school covers philosophy, I wouldn't do philosophy and rs. I'd pick one or the other.
Reply 4
Original post by What The Cluck
Are there any specific courses you want to apply for at university?
It's quite hard to say whether they are good choices or not without knowing what course you plan to do.

I think I'd maybe study philosophy for uni or do a social work degree, however I originally picked philosophy psychology and graphic design since I also wanted to look at creative careers but sixth form/college said those who took philosophy and religious studies did better because of the overlap and that I should at least take one a level I've studied at GCSE. I like philosophy more than religious studies so I don't know.
Reply 5
Original post by Hazelly
I think the most important question is, do you find these subjects interesting? Have you looked at the course specifications to see if you like the modules that you will be studying at A levels? Do you have any career ideas? (don't stress if you don't!)

yes I do and have looked at specification, I do have a rough career idea but i kinda wanna do everything so I'm a bit confused
Reply 6
Original post by Caz1234567
I did A Level religious studies and it was 1/3 Philosophy, 1/3 Ethics and 1/3 Christianity. If the religious studies at your school covers philosophy, I wouldn't do philosophy and rs. I'd pick one or the other.

yeah religious studies at our school does have philosophy, I prefer pure philosophy however.
come result's day, I'm thinking of changing my a levels to graphic design, politics and philosophy
(edited 2 years ago)
yes I do and have looked at specification, I do have a rough career idea but i kinda wanna do everything so I'm a bit confused

What are the ideas? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hazelly
What are the ideas? :smile:

Social work, civil service, teaching, law, politics, graphic design/UI design/interior design and I even considered psychologist but I just picked a levels I liked that could help me in.a few of these careers

I've ruled out studying psychology in university tho so most likely the rest and I've also kinda ruled out design, going through a mental rut and I don't think I have the motivation or creativity to study any design a levels at the moment
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah religious studies at our school does have philosophy, I prefer pure philosophy however.
come result's day, I'm thinking of changing my a levels to graphic design, politics and philosophy

Have you thought about studying english, politics and philosophy or maybe maths, politics and philosophy?
Or even economics?
I think maths/english/economics/history would be strong choices to add to philosophy/politics
Or you could add a language if you want to do international relations
Reply 10
Have you thought about studying english, politics and philosophy or maybe maths, politics and philosophy?
Or even economics?
I think maths/english/economics/history would be strong choices to add to philosophy/politics
Or you could add a language if you want to do international relations

I didn't take history for GCSEs and maths I struggle quite a lot with. I did think of English but it bored me quite a bit. Languages I'm not that strong at either. I honestly don't know. right now I've decided philosophy, politics and psychology but I'm thinking of switching psychology to sociology because of the maths element. I am really horrid at maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
What about English language, philosophy and Politics?
I didn't take history for GCSEs and maths I struggle quite a lot with. I did think of English but it bored me quite a bit. Languages I'm not that strong at either. I honestly don't know. right now I've decided philosophy, politics and psychology but I'm thinking of switching psychology to sociology because of the maths element. I am really horrid at maths.

One of my friends did economics and it surprisingly has very little maths in it and it's still seen as quite a strong subject. I wouldn't recommend psychology or sociology if you're already doing philosophy and politics.
What about English language, philosophy and Politics?

If English bores you then no, do what you love at a level :smile:
Reply 14
One of my friends did economics and it surprisingly has very little maths in it and it's still seen as quite a strong subject. I wouldn't recommend psychology or sociology if you're already doing philosophy and politics.

If English bores you then no, do what you love at a level :smile:

I'll have a look at economics a level homework then and see if I like it or not, I also need to call sixth form and ask when my enrolment appointment is
Reply 15
I'll have a look at economics a level homework then and see if I like it or not, I also need to call sixth form and ask when my enrolment appointment is

I took a look at it and although there's similar stuff to what I learned in citizenship I still think I'll struggle, I'm probably at a grade 4/5 maths wise
I think I could put up with English language (it was English literature I couldn't stand I think I'll do much better in English language come results day) if I have some support from sixth form which I'll try apply for, which brings me to the next question (sorry I'm asking so much lol)
Would I be able to apply for arrangements (mental illness wise) at the sixth form I want to go to if I have proof I have support but no diagnosis? The services in my area are big on "not labeling things and treating the symptoms", it did have an impact academically as well as socially but I've only started receiving support once I finished school. Also what kind of proof would suffice?
Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
I think I'd maybe study philosophy for uni or do a social work degree, however I originally picked philosophy psychology and graphic design since I also wanted to look at creative careers but sixth form/college said those who took philosophy and religious studies did better because of the overlap and that I should at least take one a level I've studied at GCSE. I like philosophy more than religious studies so I don't know.

Hi there!

I am a third/final year social work student at Wrexham Glyndwr University and really love the course. I came to University as a mature student with a background in Childcare, but your A level choices seem good and would be beneficial if applying for the course in the future. For social work, any practical experience through work or volunteering can also be very helpful in the application process, so maybe bare this in mind. Best of luck with your studies! Caroline :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Caroline92
Hi there!

I am a third/final year social work student at Wrexham Glyndwr University and really love the course. I came to University as a mature student with a background in Childcare, but your A level choices seem good and would be beneficial if applying for the course in the future. For social work, any practical experience through work or volunteering can also be very helpful in the application process, so maybe bare this in mind. Best of luck with your studies! Caroline :smile:

Hi thanks for the reply, I think I've kind of got some experience with volunteering but I do need to try get some more, I've heard that social work is stressful, how would I know if I would be able to handle it?
Hi thanks for the reply, I think I've kind of got some experience with volunteering but I do need to try get some more, I've heard that social work is stressful, how would I know if I would be able to handle it?

Hi there.

Like many roles, social work can be stressful at times, but it is also very rewarding. I feel it is hard for me to say you can 100% manage without knowing you/your individual circumstances, but I am sure there are many people who feel those anxieties and cope with the course very well. I think at times when the work load/essays are busy, just having a supportive network around you of your lecturers, family and friends is helpful. But I would say any of the hard work has been so worth it, and I am really enjoying it. Looking forward to final year soon! Good luck with your application if you do decide to study! Caroline :smile:
Reply 19

Make sure you know if the RS course includes philosophy in it, and if it does then whether you’d be happy doing philosophy as a separate subject as well as philosophy in RS. Overall they sound like they’d work well together if you’re looking to apply for one of those subjects at university!

Quick Reply

Latest